Rescue an old 400QMD?

alan137

Hi Anthony,
I don't know how this groups.io thing works.  I only access it thru the web interface, so not email, and therefore I don't have your address.  But maybe you can see mine?

Tom Blahovici

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 02:33 PM, alan137 wrote:
As long as the hand controller is missing anyway, can it be converted over to a GTO version?
Or how about adding DSC and turn it into push-TO, and then use the ST4 port for 16x crawl-TO?
If you have a 3d printer (all ATMs should have one..) it would be easy to build a push to using a Nexus II and a couple of encoders. It has WiFi, is inexpensive and will connect to Sky Safari on an Android or iOS phone..
All you need to do is build a pulley, and then a holding mechanism for the encoder. Get CUI encoders. 8092 ticks and about $20 each.
I built such a device for a home made binocular mount.
Tom

alan137

As long as the hand controller is missing anyway, can it be converted over to a GTO version?
Or how about adding DSC and turn it into push-TO, and then use the ST4 port for 16x crawl-TO?

Jeff B

So, my AP 400 has no lettering on the side of its RA housing but otherwise is identical to a "QMD" labeled mount.  Or is it?  It does work well with the older "HDA" controller, but specifically, can I use a "QMD" controller with it too?

Jeff

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM Anthony DAngelo <dangelo.anthony@...> wrote:
I was hoping to get a ap 400 but to no avail.make offer on controller i will give pic.of the one i have in private e-mail ,reasonable offer will consider.Anthony

On Jun 12, 2021, at 1:04 PM, Jeff B <mnebula946@...> wrote:

Anthony, really a spare controller?  Alan, if you do not opt for the mount, Anthony, I'd like to get your spare controller.

No, the QMDs cannot be converted to goto operation, at least with the AP system.  But there are AP400 GTO's out there.

I have an old 400 QMD and it is an excellent mount but with the basic controller and the full up QMD paddle would be better really.

A great mount, sort of mid way between a Losmandy G11 and GM8 with excellent damping qualities.  It holds my AP 127 F8 Starfire and TEC 140 ED just fine.

Jeff

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 11:55 AM Anthony DAngelo <dangelo.anthony@...> wrote:
I have a spare hand control if needed or would consider purchase of mount,thanks Anthony

On Jun 12, 2021, at 10:22 AM, alan137 <acfang137@...> wrote:

Hello folks,
There's an old 400 QMD near me for sale that was probably acquired at an estate sale or whatever and the seller doesn't know much about it.  It seems to include literally the mount head only and no accessories like counterweight shaft, hand controller, etc.
Are these parts still available?
Can this mount be converted / updated into a modern imaging platform with GOTO and computer control and guiding?
I think the original specs were that the motors only slew up to 16x.

<GM8 Comparison.jpg>
<5 inch F8 Pre ED Starfire 2.jpg>
<TEC 140 ED.jpg>

Anthony DAngelo