Question re: Checking RAPAS with initial Pempro Polar Align via drift

Jon L Williams

On Apr 28, 2021, at 7:25 PM, Jil Tardiff <jtardiff@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,

Ah, this helps quite a bit.  Yes, I have an MN190  (hoisting that sucker up on the 1100GTO should be an adventure ;-) .  Actually one of the main reasons to move up to the 1100GTO from my Eq6R-Pro was to improve my imaging with that scope, so I'll give it a shot.  Good news that your RAPAS was so close, it seems that most of the time that is the case, but I figured I would give it a good look just to be sure.

That is really encouraging re: Sharpcap PA with such a long focal length , I had assumed the field of view would be problematic and just used a guidescope.  Would be nice to avoid using one.

Great - now I have a good starting point for when the clouds finally go away.   I'm really hoping to have things squared away before I take the setup on it's first "trip" in mid-May.

Thanks again for the help,

Jil

Jil Tardiff

[...]

skester@...

Hi Jill,

I would not use the guide scope as the image scale is likely too low to give you the most accurate answer, along with the potential for flexure that you pointed out.  I would use your primary imaging scope/camera, and even prefer a longer focal length than an Esprit 80 if you have one.  I think you mentioned an MN190 over at CN?

I recently went through the same exercise of verifying my RAPAS, but rather than a PemPro Drift I used PHD2 drift.  Without adjustment the RAPAS had the PA within 40 arc seconds, way better than I need for a travel setup with guiding, so I left it alone.  Since you have Sharpcap that would also be a quick/easy way to verify the RAPAS.  I guide with an OAG as well and found Sharpcap PA worked great using the primary OTA and imaging camera to polar align, even when I have my C11 mounted, producing very accurate results.

Scott

Jil Tardiff

Hi all,

About to do an initial drift align via Pempro V3 to check/adjust my RAPAS (assuming the clouds ever go away).

For the life of me, I cannot sort out which scope to use for the drift align.  I normally use an OAG,  but prefer to polar align using a 50mm Stellarvue guidescope when I use Sharpcap. Then I guide with the OAG.

This works fine on my non-AP mounts.  For this original polar align via drift on my AP1100GTO ,  however, obviously I want to use the best option and given the potential for flexure should I use my main scope for the Pempro Wizard?  I have an Esprit 80 that should do the trick.   Or am I over-thinking this (again) and just use the guidescope?

The goal is to get the best polar align possible to check and adjust my RAPAS if necessary .

Thanks for the input.

Jil