Thanks to AP stuff

Roland Christen

Did you use the new Y cable for your test?

Here is a short test you can do:

1) using the new Y cable, plug the short RA cable into the Dec motor box.
2) turn on the power
3) press E-W buttons (do not press N-S)

If the Dec Motor does not function properly when pressing the E-W buttons, or if the yellow light comes on in the CP4, then there is something wrong with the Dec motor.

If the motor works ok with the RA cable connection, then something is wrong with the Y cable on the Declination side of the cable. However, a new cable should not have a problem.

You can remove the motor and send it in for checking and service.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Thanks to AP stuff

Roland,
I sent a short video to support@... showing how my DEC motor badly works. I tried a new CP4 and it works a bit differently than CP3. Now, RA motor moves as expected, no problems with W-E buttons, no yellow light even if DEC motor is connected.
But when I press S or N button and even hold it, DEC motor starts moving in proper direction but only for 1-2 seconds, then stops and yellow light is seen, RA is still OK, can rotate around polar axis, but DEC works only for 1-2 sec. It is always repeatable this way.
So, you was right that probably DEC motor/encoder is bad. I do not know if only encoder should be replaced with a new one and/or also motor needs to be exchanged.
Please advice,
Thank you,
Jan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jan Soldan

George,
I just sent answer to Roland's answer, so if you have and advice what I could check/test/etc., please let me know. My short video should be at support@....
Thank you,
Jan

Jan Soldan

Roland,
I sent a short video to support@... showing how my DEC motor badly works. I tried a new CP4 and it works a bit differently than CP3. Now, RA motor moves as expected, no problems with W-E buttons, no yellow light even if DEC motor is connected.
But when I press S or N button and even hold it, DEC motor starts moving in proper direction but only for 1-2 seconds, then stops and yellow light is seen, RA is still OK, can rotate around polar axis, but DEC works only for 1-2 sec. It is always repeatable this way.
So, you was right that probably DEC motor/encoder is bad. I do not know if only encoder should be replaced with a new one and/or also motor needs to be exchanged.
Please advice,
Thank you,
Jan

Christopher Erickson

In my experience, certain hydrocarbon fumes (both pre and post combustion) will damage many plastics and rubbers,  both natural and synthetic. The damaged hand controller cable is a hint.

Fumes related to diesel and kerosene seem to be especially hostile to cables and connectors.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, 1:25 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Jan
Nice to have the new CP4 and new key pad. If you still have the old one, you can check to see if you have a bad connection or broken wire in the key pad cable or maybe a bad connection in the cable plug where it connects to the key pad circuit board.
The keypad has no effect on the operation of the mount. The keypad is normally silent and has no interaction with the mount unless you, the user, sends a command to the mount. If you send a slew command to the mount and the mount runs away, the keypad is not involved at that point. You can unplug it and the mount will continue to run away. This is strictly an internal controller issue where the CP3 is not getting encoder signals from the motor and is thus spurring the motor on in an effort to turn it on.

Rolando

From: Don Anderson via groups.io <jockey_ca=yahoo.ca@groups.io>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Apr 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Hello Jan
Nice to have the new CP4 and new key pad. If you still have the old one, you can check to see if you have a bad connection or broken wire in the key pad cable or maybe a bad connection in the cable plug where it connects to the key pad circuit board.

Don Anderson

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 12:41:18 p.m. MDT, Jan Soldan <astrosoft@...> wrote:

I would like to thanks AP stuff, especially Daleen Palmer who sent me very quickly a new GTOCP4, keypad and other accessories to Czech Republic for my AP-900. 

I do not know what happened with my older GTOCP3 and/or keypad, but it went crazy because it stared very fast movement of the mount in RA whenever I pressed ANY button, even STOP one... this was very dangerous. I checked all cables, etc., but nothing helped. In any case, I am very glad to have GTOCP4 now.

Thanks,
Jan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Hello Jan
The keypad has no effect on the operation of the mount. The keypad is normally silent and has no interaction with the mount unless you, the user, sends a command to the mount. If you send a slew command to the mount and the mount runs away, the keypad is not involved at that point. You can unplug it and the mount will continue to run away. This is strictly an internal controller issue where the CP3 is not getting encoder signals from the motor and is thus spurring the motor on in an effort to turn it on.

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Apr 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Hello Jan

Don Anderson

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 12:41:18 p.m. MDT, Jan Soldan <astrosoft@...> wrote:

I would like to thanks AP stuff, especially Daleen Palmer who sent me very quickly a new GTOCP4, keypad and other accessories to Czech Republic for my AP-900. 

I do not know what happened with my older GTOCP3 and/or keypad, but it went crazy because it stared very fast movement of the mount in RA whenever I pressed ANY button, even STOP one... this was very dangerous. I checked all cables, etc., but nothing helped. In any case, I am very glad to have GTOCP4 now.

Thanks,
Jan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Don Anderson

Hello Jan

Don Anderson

Thanks,
Jan

Roland Christen

yellow diode raised - motor stall although telescope was precisely balanced
Yes, all this will happen if the motor encoder is disconnected and not working. If new cable fixes this, then that is where the fault is located. If it does not fix the problem, then the motor must be repaired.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Apr 20, 2021 2:55 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't use my mount mostly two years... due to our movement to a new house and building my new observatory.
Than, I found that keypad's cable black plastic tube completely fell apart, so I bought a new one. When I tried mount two weeks
ago after so long time, it worked as I already described and also yellow diode raised - motor stall although telescope was precisely balanced in both axis. Have to say, that mount was at home all the time when not used.

I also bought a new Y cable, so I will try a new setup probably tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you,
Jan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jan Soldan

Roland,
thank you very much for your tips. That's why I bought a new Y cable too. I will test mount carefully with GTOCP4, new keypad and Y cable and let you know.
Jan

Jan Soldan

Unfortunately, I didn't use my mount mostly two years... due to our movement to a new house and building my new observatory.
Than, I found that keypad's cable black plastic tube completely fell apart, so I bought a new one. When I tried mount two weeks
ago after so long time, it worked as I already described and also yellow diode raised - motor stall although telescope was precisely balanced in both axis. Have to say, that mount was at home all the time when not used.

I also bought a new Y cable, so I will try a new setup probably tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you,
Jan

Roland Christen

I do not know what happened with my older GTOCP3 and/or keypad, but it went crazy because it stared very fast movement of the mount in RA whenever I pressed ANY button, even STOP one.
Usually this is caused by a faulty motor encoder. Therefore a new CP4 and new keypad will not solve the problem. It can also be caused by a broken connection in the Y cable, where one of the encoder wires has become loose. From your description I am guessing that the faulty encoder connection is in the Declination axis.

We can propose a couple of tests that will determine if the cable is bad or the encoder needs replacing.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Thanks to AP stuff

Thanks,
Jan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

George

Jan,

Please contact me directly if there continues to be a problem.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jan Soldan
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 1:41 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Thanks to AP stuff

Thanks,
Jan

Jan Soldan

staff...

Jan Soldan

Thanks,
Jan