From: Jan Soldan <astrosoft@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Apr 21, 2021 7:46 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Thanks to AP stuff

Roland,
I sent a short video to support@... showing how my DEC motor badly works. I tried a new CP4 and it works a bit differently than CP3. Now, RA motor moves as expected, no problems with W-E buttons, no yellow light even if DEC motor is connected.
But when I press S or N button and even hold it, DEC motor starts moving in proper direction but only for 1-2 seconds, then stops and yellow light is seen, RA is still OK, can rotate around polar axis, but DEC works only for 1-2 sec. It is always repeatable this way.
So, you was right that probably DEC motor/encoder is bad. I do not know if only encoder should be replaced with a new one and/or also motor needs to be exchanged.
Please advice,
Thank you,
Jan

Jan Soldan

George,
I just sent answer to Roland's answer, so if you have and advice what I could check/test/etc., please let me know. My short video should be at support@....
Thank you,
Jan

Jan Soldan

Roland,
I sent a short video to support@... showing how my DEC motor badly works. I tried a new CP4 and it works a bit differently than CP3. Now, RA motor moves as expected, no problems with W-E buttons, no yellow light even if DEC motor is connected.
But when I press S or N button and even hold it, DEC motor starts moving in proper direction but only for 1-2 seconds, then stops and yellow light is seen, RA is still OK, can rotate around polar axis, but DEC works only for 1-2 sec. It is always repeatable this way.
So, you was right that probably DEC motor/encoder is bad. I do not know if only encoder should be replaced with a new one and/or also motor needs to be exchanged.
Please advice,
Thank you,
Jan

Christopher Erickson

In my experience, certain hydrocarbon fumes (both pre and post combustion) will damage many plastics and rubbers,  both natural and synthetic. The damaged hand controller cable is a hint.

Fumes related to diesel and kerosene seem to be especially hostile to cables and connectors.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, 1:25 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Jan
Nice to have the new CP4 and new key pad. If you still have the old one, you can check to see if you have a bad connection or broken wire in the key pad cable or maybe a bad connection in the cable plug where it connects to the key pad circuit board.
The keypad has no effect on the operation of the mount. The keypad is normally silent and has no interaction with the mount unless you, the user, sends a command to the mount. If you send a slew command to the mount and the mount runs away, the keypad is not involved at that point. You can unplug it and the mount will continue to run away. This is strictly an internal controller issue where the CP3 is not getting encoder signals from the motor and is thus spurring the motor on in an effort to turn it on.