Initiation Parameters - APCC vs Driver

Craig Smith

I very much appreciate the clarifications on this!

Thanks and regards,
Craig

Ray Gralak

First, what Wade wrote here is true:

The ASCOM V2 driver connects to the mount through APCC.
Assuming that you are not initializing the mount with
the keypad (or some other device, like a smart phone),
APCC will initialize time/date/location. By the time the
ASCOM driver loads, the mount is already initialized by APCC.
So if the ASCOM driver and APCC have different
initialization settings, the APCC settings will be the
ones that are applied.
APCC has a “NOW” button that can be used to auto-configure the driver, but it isn’t clear to me whether this
configures only information like the port, time-out parameters and so forth, or does it communication that
The "Now" button only configures the AP V2 driver so that it can use APCC's virtual port. Leaving the "Auto-config" checkbox enabled does the same thing automatically every time APCC runs, and without the AP V2 driver acknowledgement popup's. The "Now" button allows you to reconfigure the ASCOM driver after changing the virtual ports in APCC while APCC is running.

Note that the location, mount type, park and initialization settings in the ASCOM V2 driver are independent of the
settings in APCC. You will create and adjust these settings within APCC.
Refer to the ASCOM manual for additional settings that are useful when using APCC.

This seems to imply that I don’t need to make any of these settings in the driver itself. Is this true even if I tick the
auto-config and auto-connect boxes in the Driver section of APCC?
Yes, this is still true. There are ASCOM settings that are only relevant for ASCOM client applications. APCC is ASCOM-agnostic at this time.

-Ray