Power Supply died due to heat (daytime sun) I believe. #Mach2GTO

Frost David

Exactly.  I’ve never run my mounts or cameras off the supplied wall wart power supplies.  I’ve run them off my Powerwerx power supplies for years and they work great.

David

On Apr 6, 2021, at 9:17 AM, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

It is unfortunate that there are no domestic suppliers of these power supplies and that A-P has to use one that comes from China for the Mach 2. At least the 30 Amp power supply that comes from Powerwerks is made in Taiwan. Taiwanese quality is much much better than the garbage that comes out of China.

Mike

M Hambrick

It is unfortunate that there are no domestic suppliers of these power supplies and that A-P has to use one that comes from China for the Mach 2. At least the 30 Amp power supply that comes from Powerwerks is made in Taiwan. Taiwanese quality is much much better than the garbage that comes out of China.

Mike

Steve Reilly

I was just posting what the list on the specifications of the PS.

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luca Marinelli
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 7:45 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply died due to heat (daytime sun) I believe. #Mach2GTO

I have two of those power supplies in my observatory and they have worked without any problems down to -10F.

Unfortunately, that’s not a viable replacement for the Mach2 power supply because it is limited to 16V maximum output voltage, which will not allow 1800x slew speed on the Mach2.

Luca

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Reilly via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Power Supply died due to heat (daytime sun) I believe. #Mach2GTO

Operating temperature rating: 0 ~ 50 °C seems a bit weak doesn’t it? That’s 32 to 122 F

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 5:07 PM

Looking at getting a couple of these. It looks like for my AP 600 CP2 and Mach1, 900 and 1200 GOTO with CP3  I have to order a special able. Correct?

JimP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 4:57:18 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

And BTW – AP sells this exact same one.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of richard payne
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2021 1:53 PM

Here is the one you want, bulletproof.

use it with a fused ridgerunner set up.

On Apr 3, 2021, at 7:13 AM, Micheal Fields Jr via groups.io <mpfjr@...> wrote:

Observatory for sure but I also plan to 3D print a case for it.  As I mentioned I have a couple of these already. One is 12v that I use for my equipment and the other 24v I use with a different mount.  Have had them for years with no issues.  Very clean reliable power (so far).  

Luca Marinelli

I have two of those power supplies in my observatory and they have worked without any problems down to -10F.

Unfortunately, that’s not a viable replacement for the Mach2 power supply because it is limited to 16V maximum output voltage, which will not allow 1800x slew speed on the Mach2.

Luca

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Reilly via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, April 3, 2021 6:04 PM

Operating temperature rating: 0 ~ 50 °C seems a bit weak doesn’t it? That’s 32 to 122 F

-Steve

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips

Looking at getting a couple of these. It looks like for my AP 600 CP2 and Mach1, 900 and 1200 GOTO with CP3  I have to order a special able. Correct?

JimP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of richard payne

Observatory for sure but I also plan to 3D print a case for it.  As I mentioned I have a couple of these already. One is 12v that I use for my equipment and the other 24v I use with a different mount.  Have had them for years with no issues.  Very clean reliable power (so far).  

Steve Reilly

-Steve

JimP

Woody

thefamily90 Phillips

JimP

Woody

Woody Schlom

Woody

richard payne

Jeffc

I see.  

One question I have is “switching vs linear”.  
TBH, I have always avoided switching due to RF noise.  While it might not be an issue with imaging, etc, it is another variable to avoid… and not be a noisy-RF neighbor.  
I’m currently repurposing an Astron linear supply for the camera + robofocus (and dew heater when needed.).  Prior to the Mach2 everything had its own supply , but with the thru-mount power I need to consolidate. 

The Astron is temporary (it is 30amps which is overkill and super heavy for remote work).
So I’m looking for a 10amp-ish 12v to power everything on the OTA.   This is for when 110v is available; I also need to work out the battery situation for remote work were there’s no 110v. 

As for getting a spare 24v supply:  Not a bad idea.   There’s probably some small failure rate on such hardware, likely non-zero.  
Also.. I might accidentally break it somehow myself (eg a drop).  For the AP 1200 I ordered spare RA/Dec cable assembly as I broke (and repaired) one in the “field”.
Having some spares (in the field or otherwise) is a good thing. 

-Jeff

Micheal Fields Jr

Seb@stro

When/If mine dies on me, this is what I'd replace it with: https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-GST220A24-R7B-MEAN-WELL-Switching/dp/B07CTVHYT7. A reputable brand, industrial-type model (high efficiency, extended operating temperatures, high MTBF, I/O protection, standards compliant, etc.) Specs here: https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/GST220A/GST220A-SPEC.PDF.

The one shipped with the Mach2 seems to have a somewhat high infant mortality failure rate (from people's reports on forums). I have not found its spec, so can't directly compare with the above-mentionned, but I have to admit I was a bit disappointed to find an unknown chineese brand name on the sticker underneath...

Luckily, AP seems to take good care of its customers. :)

Jeffc

Just noting…. From the Amazon page…. 

-IN-DOOR USE ONLY! 

Presumably it is in a case , or used in an observatory, etc.   I would be a bit concerned with dew when used “outside”.   Afaik the original “brick” is sealed (at least mostly sealed but probly not IP67 level sealed.)

On Apr 2, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Micheal Fields Jr via groups.io <mpfjr@...> wrote:

Hi Karen.  No problem.  I bought a really nice one that has a cooling fan.  I'd rather not simply replace a dead one with an identical one that will die on me later.    This is the item I ordered.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146IAXYO  I intend to desolder the cables from the existing (dead) supply and re-use them with this item.   I use one very similar with my other 24v powered mount without issue.

Karen Christen

Thanks for following up, Michael.  Please let us know how we can support you in future.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Micheal Fields Jr via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 1:59 PM

Hi Karen.  No problem.  I bought a really nice one that has a cooling fan.  I'd rather not simply replace a dead one with an identical one that will die on me later.    This is the item I ordered.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146IAXYO  I intend to desolder the cables from the existing (dead) supply and re-use them with this item.   I use one very similar with my other 24v powered mount without issue.

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Micheal Fields Jr

Karen Christen

Michael,

Please email me directly at karen at astro-physics dot com.  We’ll get you taken care of.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Micheal Fields Jr via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 10:58 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Power Supply died due to heat (daytime sun) I believe. #Mach2GTO

My 24v power supply that came with the mount died sometime today.  My system was set up in the back yard and other than shutting down the laptop, I did not power down anything else.  I just threw a cover over my scope. 

Went to use it this evening and could not connect to the mount.  Went to investigate and found that no power was getting to the mount.  LED light on power supply brick does not light up.  

I've ordered a different power supply from Amazon but I'll have to build it. I'll just re-use the wires/cables that came with the original.

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

annaski

That's funny. Mine also died but I was speculating that it was from the sub-zero freezes we've been having.
Contact AP, they took care of me and sent a new one.

I did order another from Amazon too as backup, since clear nights are precious here in New England and I lost out on a few in a row (isn't that always the way).
You just need something like this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2ZJ18D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to connect, assuming that you bought one with a 12 dc connector.

Micheal Fields Jr

My 24v power supply that came with the mount died sometime today.  My system was set up in the back yard and other than shutting down the laptop, I did not power down anything else.  I just threw a cover over my scope. 

Went to use it this evening and could not connect to the mount.  Went to investigate and found that no power was getting to the mount.  LED light on power supply brick does not light up.  

I've ordered a different power supply from Amazon but I'll have to build it. I'll just re-use the wires/cables that came with the original.