Starting with counterweight up in SGPro #Mach2GTO

Eric Weiner

Ray,

Fair. I’ll ask Jared and let the folks here know how he responds.

Eric

On Apr 17, 2021, at 07:20, Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> wrote:

Eric,

As a follow on, regarding operations with imaging software. I use SGP. It seems that once you have the horizon and
meridian limits set correctly in APCC for CW up east and west slews that all meridian tracking and pier flip features
in SGP should be turned off, and that meridian reporting from APCC to SGP should also be turned off. Would you
agree?
That's a question for the SGP developers. It may be that SGP always expects the pier side to match what it should be, but it won’t be in counterweight-up positions.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Weiner
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 9:19 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Starting with counterweight up in SGPro #Mach2GTO

Ray,

Thanks. After I sent those messages I watched your videos a few more times and re-read the APCC instructions. I
found that I have been creating the meridian limit models incorrectly. The instructions clearly state how to set the
first point, something I wasn’t doing, and that for subsequent points one should slew to the horizon if you don’t hit
the pier. I wasn’t doing that either. Reading is fundamental... everything is working perfectly now.

As a follow on, regarding operations with imaging software. I use SGP. It seems that once you have the horizon and
meridian limits set correctly in APCC for CW up east and west slews that all meridian tracking and pier flip features
in SGP should be turned off, and that meridian reporting from APCC to SGP should also be turned off. Would you
agree? It sure seems unnecessary at that point since the APCC horizon and meridian limit settings will take care of
all slews and stock tracking at the limits.

Eric

On Apr 16, 2021, at 07:19, Ray Gralak <iogroups@siriusimaging.com> wrote:
Hi Eric,

Would you say it is best practice to just reflect the
greater of the two limits w.r.t. east and west for margin.
No, that might cause a pier collision if the West limits exceed the East limits.

Instead, since you want East limits for both pier sides, you should:

1) Click "Reflect East".
2) Click "More" -> "Copy East to West"

This will set the East values for both East and West meridian limits.

Also, you might want to save the meridian limits to disk first, which would allow you to start from the original data
in the future.

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Weiner
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2021 9:33 AM

Ray,

I’ve got a follow on question to this topic. I created a detailed meridian tracking limit for my setup (Mach2/Tak
130NFB). The limits ended up not being symmetric for east and west, with larger limits in the west. Therefore,
when
the negative values in the east side are copied over to the west side, there is still a positive limit remaining on
the west
side. Will this prevent this technique from working correctly? Would you say it is best practice to just reflect the
greater of the two limits w.r.t. east and west for margin, then apply this CW up technique described in this
thread?

Ray Gralak

Eric,

agree?
That's a question for the SGP developers. It may be that SGP always expects the pier side to match what it should be, but it won’t be in counterweight-up positions.

-Ray

Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 9:19 AM

Ray,

Thanks. After I sent those messages I watched your videos a few more times and re-read the APCC instructions. I
found that I have been creating the meridian limit models incorrectly. The instructions clearly state how to set the
first point, something I wasn’t doing, and that for subsequent points one should slew to the horizon if you don’t hit
the pier. I wasn’t doing that either. Reading is fundamental... everything is working perfectly now.

agree? It sure seems unnecessary at that point since the APCC horizon and meridian limit settings will take care of
all slews and stock tracking at the limits.

Eric

Hi Eric,

No, that might cause a pier collision if the West limits exceed the East limits.

1) Click "Reflect East".

Also, you might want to save the meridian limits to disk first, which would allow you to start from the original data
in the future.

-Ray

Ray,

I’ve got a follow on question to this topic. I created a detailed meridian tracking limit for my setup (Mach2/Tak
130NFB). The limits ended up not being symmetric for east and west, with larger limits in the west. Therefore,
when
the negative values in the east side are copied over to the west side, there is still a positive limit remaining on
the west
side. Will this prevent this technique from working correctly? Would you say it is best practice to just reflect the
greater of the two limits w.r.t. east and west for margin, then apply this CW up technique described in this
thread?

Eric Weiner

Ray,

Thanks. After I sent those messages I watched your videos a few more times and re-read the APCC instructions. I found that I have been creating the meridian limit models incorrectly. The instructions clearly state how to set the first point, something I wasn’t doing, and that for subsequent points one should slew to the horizon if you don’t hit the pier. I wasn’t doing that either. Reading is fundamental... everything is working perfectly now.

As a follow on, regarding operations with imaging software. I use SGP. It seems that once you have the horizon and meridian limits set correctly in APCC for CW up east and west slews that all meridian tracking and pier flip features in SGP should be turned off, and that meridian reporting from APCC to SGP should also be turned off. Would you agree? It sure seems unnecessary at that point since the APCC horizon and meridian limit settings will take care of all slews and stock tracking at the limits.

Eric

Hi Eric,

1) Click "Reflect East".

Also, you might want to save the meridian limits to disk first, which would allow you to start from the original data in the future.

-Ray

Ray,

130NFB). The limits ended up not being symmetric for east and west, with larger limits in the west. Therefore, when
the negative values in the east side are copied over to the west side, there is still a positive limit remaining on the west
greater of the two limits w.r.t. east and west for margin, then apply this CW up technique described in this thread?

Ray Gralak

Hi Eric,

1) Click "Reflect East".

Also, you might want to save the meridian limits to disk first, which would allow you to start from the original data in the future.

-Ray

Ray,

130NFB). The limits ended up not being symmetric for east and west, with larger limits in the west. Therefore, when
the negative values in the east side are copied over to the west side, there is still a positive limit remaining on the west
greater of the two limits w.r.t. east and west for margin, then apply this CW up technique described in this thread?

Eric Weiner

Here is a photo of the resulting produce when the negative east values are subtracted from the west limits. Again, my initial east/west limit map isn’t symmetric.

Regards,
Eric

Eric Weiner

Ray,

I’ve got a follow on question to this topic. I created a detailed meridian tracking limit for my setup (Mach2/Tak 130NFB). The limits ended up not being symmetric for east and west, with larger limits in the west. Therefore, when the negative values in the east side are copied over to the west side, there is still a positive limit remaining on the west side. Will this prevent this technique from working correctly? Would you say it is best practice to just reflect the greater of the two limits w.r.t. east and west for margin, then apply this CW up technique described in this thread?

David Johnson

As you can see by the video in the other topic, I did get this to work.  Thanks for the help.

Ray Gralak

Okay, I think I understand. I look forward to trying it tonight.
Great! If you have any other questions, please post them.

Thanks again for your help.
You're welcome!

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 8:28 AM

Okay, I think I understand. I look forward to trying it tonight. Thanks again for your help.

David Johnson

Okay, I think I understand.  I look forward to trying it tonight.  Thanks again for your help.

Ray Gralak

I guess the more fundamental question is which does the Mach2 go to when asked to slew to these
positions where there are two choices? is it the nearest one?
If the East and West CW-up positions overlap and CW-UP is enabled for both sides, APCC will choose to stay on the current pier side.

When I ask SGPro to center on my target, how do I make sure it picks the CW up position?
You would have to map the East and West CW-up meridian limits to the same side of the pier.

Here is a short video where I show how to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUj1WgFf3k

-Ray

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Johnson
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2021 5:46 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] Starting with counterweight up in SGPro #Mach2GTO

Now that I've gotten my pointing issue fixed (thank you for that), I want to try starting CW up tonight, and M104 is an
ideal candidate for this from my location. I do have a question about it. With meridian limits mapped out and
enabled, there are two possible ways to point at many places in the sky - counterweight down or counterweight up.
When I ask SGPro to center on my target, how do I make sure it picks the CW up position? I guess the more
fundamental question is which does the Mach2 go to when asked to slew to these positions where there are two
choices? is it the nearest one? I just want to avoid issues tonight. Thanks.

David Johnson

Now that I've gotten my pointing issue fixed (thank you for that), I want to try starting CW up tonight, and M104 is an ideal candidate for this from my location.  I do have a question about it.  With meridian limits mapped out and enabled, there are two possible ways to point at many places in the sky - counterweight down or counterweight up.  When I ask SGPro to center on my target, how do I make sure it picks the CW up position?  I guess the more fundamental question is which does the Mach2 go to when asked to slew to these positions where there are two choices?  is it the nearest one?  I just want to avoid issues tonight.  Thanks.