From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Jack Huerkamp <Mallincamusa@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 4:24:37 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Cc: mallincamusa@... <mallincamusa@...>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Quick Release Gearbox Modification for Older AP1600

Frank,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have many of these long clamps in my shop and I never thought about using them to slide the OTAs on the saddles or move the parallel saddle bars using one of them.  That will be a big help

Jack

I meant to post this earlier. With side by side configurations achieving vertical balance in declination is always a challenge, particularly when you change imaging equipment. Getting a heavy equipment load on the side by side dovetail plate to slide a precise distance in the saddle plate can be frustrating. My solution is to use a clamp with hand hand grip. The soft shoes on the grip prevent any damage and allow you to engage the dovetail on one side and the saddle on the other.

Jack Huerkamp

Frank,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I have many of these long clamps in my shop and I never thought about using them to slide the OTAs on the saddles or move the parallel saddle bars using one of them.  That will be a big help

Jack

I meant to post this earlier. With side by side configurations achieving vertical balance in declination is always a challenge, particularly when you change imaging equipment. Getting a heavy equipment load on the side by side dovetail plate to slide a precise distance in the saddle plate can be frustrating. My solution is to use a clamp with hand hand grip. The soft shoes on the grip prevent any damage and allow you to engage the dovetail on one side and the saddle on the other.

Frank Widmann

I meant to post this earlier. With side by side configurations achieving vertical balance in declination is always a challenge, particularly when you change imaging equipment. Getting a heavy equipment load on the side by side dovetail plate to slide a precise distance in the saddle plate can be frustrating. My solution is to use a clamp with hand hand grip. The soft shoes on the grip prevent any damage and allow you to engage the dovetail on one side and the saddle on the other.

Jack Huerkamp

Rolando,

Thanks.  That is what I thought.  George already responded to me in that regard.

But, is there a waiting list for the Quick Release Gearbox Modifications to existing AP1600 mounts?  You stated that you were machining spare gearboxes, and I am interested it getting an upgrade when they become available.

Yours truly,

Jack

Jack Huerkamp

Jack's Astro Accessories, LLC