Mach1GTO RA axis sticking

Keith Egger

Thanks. I'll do that early next week as it's getting late on a Friday afternoon.

Keith

Roland Christen

You can call the office and they will connect you to George.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Mar 5, 2021 12:09 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach1GTO RA axis sticking

As I mentioned in Andrew's thread, my re-greasing of the Dec motor gears didn't go smoothly. I damaged one of the two brass axle shoulder bolts by over-tightening (I know, I was warned in the instructions, but one never really knows what over-tight is until there's damage). Who do I contact about getting a replacement? I emailed George, but haven't heard back. Is George the correct person to contact, or should I send my request to someone else?

thanks, Keith

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Keith Egger

As I mentioned in Andrew's thread, my re-greasing of the Dec motor gears didn't go smoothly. I damaged one of the two brass axle shoulder bolts by over-tightening (I know, I was warned in the instructions, but one never really knows what over-tight is until there's damage). Who do I contact about getting a replacement? I emailed George, but haven't heard back. Is George the correct person to contact, or should I send my request to someone else?

thanks, Keith

Keith Egger

Didn’t know I could use PayPal. 

thanks

Chris White

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM, Keith Egger wrote:
Only issue is that I'm in Canada and, no offense Astro-Physics, but ordering from Canada is very difficult, including (at least in the past) faxing of a copy of your credit card.

Just ask AP to email you a paypal invoice.   You can use your credit card through paypal whether or not you have an account. 

Don Anderson

Keith
I'm in Canada and I ordered the grease kit from AP. No problem at all getting it. One does have to call to order it. Daleen can take care of you.
Cheers

Don Anderson

On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 08:41:11 a.m. MST, Keith Egger <eggerk@...> wrote:

I read about the grease kit, but couldn't find it on the website. So you have to phone to order then. Only issue is that I'm in Canada and, no offense Astro-Physics, but ordering from Canada is very difficult, including (at least in the past) faxing of a copy of your credit card. Maybe I can get it through a Canadian distributor (KW Telescope) but I'm not sure? Either way, getting a kit to Canada is bound to be more complex than it needs be and take some considerable amount of time. I have the AeroShell 33 which is used for the worm and wheel I take it? What kind of grease is used for the gear box? It would probably be easier to find a supplier in Canada. Are the instructions that come with the grease kit available?

Keith

George

Keith and Andrew,

Email me directly and I can attach instructions.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Egger
Sent: Thursday, March 4, 2021 11:48 AM

After more than a decade of use, not much grease left on the rotating bearings in both Dec and RA! Put on a thin film of AeroShell 33. Good to get that tended to.

Now for the worm and wheel. Again, are there detailed instructions anywhere? I see re-greasing guides for other mounts on the support site, but not for the Mach1GTO?

thanks, Keith

Keith Egger

After more than a decade of use, not much grease left on the rotating bearings in both Dec and RA! Put on a thin film of AeroShell 33. Good to get that tended to.

Now for the worm and wheel. Again, are there detailed instructions anywhere? I see re-greasing guides for other mounts on the support site, but not for the Mach1GTO?

thanks, Keith

Roland Christen

Yes, you can grease with Aeroshell 33, but make sure it does not contain sulfur. Sulfur corrodes bronze and brass gears.
The top of the mount comes off and you can then grease all parts of the clutch assembly. Easy-peasy.

Roland

Sent: Thu, Mar 4, 2021 10:27 am

Yes, I've had it a while! Yes, original gear box with the two allen head screws for adjustment of the gear mesh. Still a great mount though - a workhorse.

Do you have instructions for greasing the top rotating bearing? I would probably want to re-grease the worm and wheel at the same time. Is the AeroShell 33 ok to use for both?

Keith

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Keith Egger

Yes, I've had it a while! Yes, original gear box with the two allen head screws for adjustment of the gear mesh. Still a great mount though - a workhorse.

Do you have instructions for greasing the top rotating bearing? I would probably want to re-grease the worm and wheel at the same time. Is the AeroShell 33 ok to use for both?

Keith

Roland Christen

There are no nylon clutch plugs in the Mach1. There is nothing to stick. However, the grease in the top rotating bearing may be drying out and could use some new grease. It sounds like your Mach1 is quite old and has the original gearbox without the release lever.

Rolando

Sent: Thu, Mar 4, 2021 6:57 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach1GTO RA axis sticking

The RA axis on my Mach1GTO (104xx series) is getting quite sticky in RA. I've searched and found reference to the nylon clutch plugs sticking (not sure it applies to this mount) and reference to documentation on the website as to how to fix. I can't find such documentation on the webpage. Can someone point me in the right direction?

It's also about time for a re-grease of the mount. I have some AeroShell #33 grease (the blue-green kind, without sulfur) but there is reference to two kinds of grease and to detailed instructions which again I have been unable to locate on the webpage.

thanks

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Keith Egger

I read about the grease kit, but couldn't find it on the website. So you have to phone to order then. Only issue is that I'm in Canada and, no offense Astro-Physics, but ordering from Canada is very difficult, including (at least in the past) faxing of a copy of your credit card. Maybe I can get it through a Canadian distributor (KW Telescope) but I'm not sure? Either way, getting a kit to Canada is bound to be more complex than it needs be and take some considerable amount of time. I have the AeroShell 33 which is used for the worm and wheel I take it? What kind of grease is used for the gear box? It would probably be easier to find a supplier in Canada. Are the instructions that come with the grease kit available?

Keith

steve711614

I got my mach1 about 8 weeks ago and the dec was sticking and sounded like metal rubbing against metal so I stripped it down and there wasnt any signs of grease left 
I have used lubriplate 105  on mine I saw it mentioned on a post so hopefully it will do the job 

Keith Olsen

Call Astro-Physics and ask for the grease kit.  It comes with two types of grease.  One for the gear box and one for the worm and worm wheel.  It also comes with instructions.  The grease is great, and it sticks, after I regreased my Mach1 I had a hard time removing the film of grease off of my fingers :).

Keith Egger

Ah, then maybe it just needs a re-greasing.

thanks, Keith

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

the Mach1 has no nylon clutch plugs!

Grüsse

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 04.03.2021 um 13:58 schrieb Keith Egger <eggerk@...>:

The RA axis on my Mach1GTO (104xx series) is getting quite sticky in RA. I've searched and found reference to the nylon clutch plugs sticking (not sure it applies to this mount) and reference to documentation on the website as to how to fix. I can't find such documentation on the webpage. Can someone point me in the right direction?

It's also about time for a re-grease of the mount. I have some AeroShell #33 grease (the blue-green kind, without sulfur) but there is reference to two kinds of grease and to detailed instructions which again I have been unable to locate on the webpage.

thanks

Seb@stro

Hi Keith,

The documentation page for legacy AP product might help if you haven't looked up : https://www.astro-physics.info/tech_support/tech_support_legacy.htm

Clear skies,
Sébastien

De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de Keith Egger <eggerk@...>
Envoyé : 4 mars 2021 07:57
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : [ap-gto] Mach1GTO RA axis sticking

thanks

Keith Egger

thanks