Mach1

Roland Christen

The clutch on the Mach1 is a brass plate and should have grease on it. The clutch locking system uses hard anodized pressure plates against a hard anodized hub. These should be lubricated also. It works similar to a automobile disc brake, so it can be fully locked down and won't slip even when lubricated. The lubrication from the grease smooth out the motion when the clutch knobs are unlocked.

From: steve711614 via groups.io <steve.duck@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Feb 5, 2021 7:12 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach1

Hello Robert
Now I am worried,you mention Grease I thought it must be a dry system there wasnt a bit of grease on any surface my last mount was a losmandy so I am used to stripping the mount down and regreasing.I have got silicone lube I used on the losmandy will that do and do I put quiet a bit on the clutch part
Steve

steve711614

I have stripped head back down greased surfaces and put back together all sorted pheww who knows what the last owner was thinking grrr
Thanks steve

steve711614

Hello Robert
Now I am worried,you mention Grease I thought it must be a dry system there wasnt a bit of grease on any surface my last mount was a losmandy so I am used to stripping the mount down and regreasing.I have got silicone lube I used on the losmandy will that do and do I put quiet a bit on the clutch part
Steve

Robert

Steve,

You mention stripping the top end down and giving it a good cleaning.  Did you re-grease the clutch wedges and mating surfaces when you re-assembled it back together?  Sounds as if you are missing some grease in key locations, or the grease you may have used is not up to the task.

Robert

steve711614

Ok George I dont think they was long but I will check
Thanks steve

George

Steve,

Check the length of the screws that secure the dovetail saddle to the Dec top plate.    The screws should not extend more than ¼” to 3/8” beyond the thickness of the dovetail saddle.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.