Looking for one or two CP3's

Christopher Erickson

One of the smaller UofH observatories I shepherd over here in Hawaii is using a 1200 and the existing CP3 has died. The budget for this particular research project is currently frozen so they can't simply replace it with a CP4. So my thought is that I will give them a CP3 to keep them going but first I have to find one. So if anyone here is willing to sell me an old CP3 that I can in-turn donate to the VYSOS-12 observatory, please contact me off-list.

Christopher dot k dot erickson at Gmail dot com.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Roland Christen

Send the broken one in and we'll see what's what with it. Maybe easily fixable.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: ap-gto@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Feb 3, 2021 9:19 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Looking for one or two CP3's

One of the smaller UofH observatories I shepherd over here in Hawaii is using a 1200 and the existing CP3 has died. The budget for this particular research project is currently frozen so they can't simply replace it with a CP4. So my thought is that I will give them a CP3 to keep them going but first I have to find one. So if anyone here is willing to sell me an old CP3 that I can in-turn donate to the VYSOS-12 observatory, please contact me off-list.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Christopher Erickson

Always appreciated!

However I am trying to get them back on-sky quickly. Trying to avoid the delay of shipping from/to Hawaii and whatever additional time needed on the bench. I opened up the unit and don't find anything obvious. Connectors are fine, no cold solder joints and the voltage regulator is fine. It could have been popped from GRP from a nearby lightning strike.

Eventual plan is to have them get a brand-new CP4, if and when they get some budget to work with again.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:06 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Roland

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Christopher Erickson

If I can't find a CP3 I guess I will end up cannibalizing the CP4 off of my Mach1 or 1100. I really don't want to do that because I'll probably end up off-line myself for months and months before they get any budget money again.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:39 PM Christopher Erickson via groups.io <christopher.k.erickson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Always appreciated!

However I am trying to get them back on-sky quickly. Trying to avoid the delay of shipping from/to Hawaii and whatever additional time needed on the bench. I opened up the unit and don't find anything obvious. Connectors are fine, no cold solder joints and the voltage regulator is fine. It could have been popped from GRP from a nearby lightning strike.

Eventual plan is to have them get a brand-new CP4, if and when they get some budget to work with again.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:06 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Roland

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Sébastien Doré

There is one selling on AM right now (ad # 501017).

Sébastien 

Le 3 févr. 2021 à 23:47, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> a écrit :

If I can't find a CP3 I guess I will end up cannibalizing the CP4 off of my Mach1 or 1100. I really don't want to do that because I'll probably end up off-line myself for months and months before they get any budget money again.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 6:39 PM Christopher Erickson via groups.io <christopher.k.erickson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Always appreciated!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Roland

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Eric Claeys

I have one I'd like to sell.  It also has the encoder box.
Eric

tvk

I have one I can send to you.  It's gathering dust in a draw.  I had updated to the CP4 last summer.   

Terry

Christopher Erickson

The UofH VYSOS project also has a 3600. I wonder if the encoder box is compatible with the 3600. If it is, I might be interested in buying that as spares for their 3600 for when their budget is eventually unfrozen.

Roland, is Eric's encoder box compatible with the 3600?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021, 5:34 AM Eric Claeys <AstroEric@...> wrote:
Eric

Roland Christen

Yes, they are all the same.

Roland

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Feb 4, 2021 10:22 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Looking for one or two CP3's

The UofH VYSOS project also has a 3600. I wonder if the encoder box is compatible with the 3600. If it is, I might be interested in buying that as spares for their 3600 for when their budget is eventually unfrozen.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021, 5:34 AM Eric Claeys <AstroEric@...> wrote:
Eric

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Howard Hedlund

HOLD ON, PLEASE!!   A GTOAE box can NOT be used with a 3600!  The 3600 requires a GTOELS box.  They are quite different.  Please call me at AP if you want to discuss.

Howard Hedlund

The GTOCP3 will work, but the personality will need to be changed.  I can send you a script to do this.

Christopher Erickson

I was wondering about that! Thanks!

Eric, it looks like I can't use your abs encoder box on a 3600.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 7:08 AM Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:
HOLD ON, PLEASE!!   A GTOAE box can NOT be used with a 3600!  The 3600 requires a GTOELS box.  They are quite different.  Please call me at AP if you want to discuss.

Christopher Erickson

Several kind group members have come forward with CP3's for the University of Hawaii VYSOS project so we should be all-set.

Thanks to everyone who came forward off-list to help!

You guys are AWESOME!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:20 PM Christopher Erickson via groups.io <christopher.k.erickson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

super great to see everyone pulling together, and kudos to you Christopher for making it happen for the University

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
Several kind group members have come forward with CP3's for the University of Hawaii VYSOS project so we should be all-set.

You guys are AWESOME!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 5:20 PM Christopher Erickson via groups.io <christopher.k.erickson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Manusfisch

Donations to university might be tax deductible for the in-kind donation even if you take a little bit of cash for it the overall value is still what can be deducted

TJF Mobile

On Feb 4, 2021, at 13:18, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

super great to see everyone pulling together, and kudos to you Christopher for making it happen for the University

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:00 AM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

You guys are AWESOME!

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

--
Brian 

Brian Valente