Tracking much better after meridian flip

Terri Zittritsch

Tom, I had a similar situation where I was getting mostly flat line guiding on one side of the meridian, and after the flip, it was much poorer.. I had reported this in an earlier post and saw this repeatedly (on different nights) for the same target.    It didn't make sense to me that the atmosphere had changed in those few minutes each night during my meridian flip.   And given the scope and associated guiding goop were also in substantially the same orientation, I racked my brain for what is causing this.   One thing that I did find, is that a different star was chosen for guiding after the flip that had a significantly worse SNR.   While not entirely conclusive, this may have been the case for me.        You'd think that after a flip the same stars would be visible and the same star chosen, but this wasn't the case for me.   I have never been very careful about aligning my guide scope to my main scope, and never really found it to be an issue, but in this case it may have been a contributor to my issue.     In any case, something to check.

Terri

Terri

Hi Tom

what are you guiding with, and do you have guidelogs to share?

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 8:11 PM Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
Hi
I'm getting ok guiding when I start my night imaging.  At this point, the scope is pointing to the east. Not fantastic but still good enough for my image scale.  I do have a bit of backlash in dec and the mount is the AP600e known for a sticky dec axis.
However, when the mount crosses the meridian and does the flip, the guiding is way better.
What could be the reasons?  The mount is counterweight heavy for imaging in the east.  I would think it would get worse when the flip occurs.
Thanks for any tips.

--
Brian

Brian Valente