Mach2GTO Anderson Powerpole passthrough current rating #Mach2GTO

deonb

Dale,

My UPB2 is reporting 9.0A right now at idle. If I run the rotator and mirror focuser it peaks at 9.8A.

That's with 3 dew heater straps on the C14, as well as the camera dew heater. (I live in Seattle. Our state flower is mildew...)

This is without an OAG or OAG dew heater. That adds another 1.5A. I'm also musing putting my FocusLynx controller at the front of my scope since the Mach2GTO sadly doesn't have RJ45/CAT5 passthrough. Another 1.25A. So 12.5A so far. The UPB2 itself supports 20A - just needed to check the mount.

I don't specifically want to run 24V, but if the Mach2GTO had a low current limit (let's say 10A), I could run 24V 10A and step it down to 12V 20A with either a buck converter or transformer. I'm glad Roland confirmed this isn't needed.

deonb

Thank you Roland, perfect answer!

Roland Christen

The internal wiring is a simple pass-thru. It is totally isolated from the chassis.
The wire is AWG 16 which will carry 15 amps conservatively, and up to 22 amps intermittently.
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
The wire length is approx 0.7 meters, 2ft.
You can use it for any low voltage application, 5 volts to 24 volts AC - DC etc.
NEVER connect 120 volt AC house power to this wire - it is extremely dangerous to do so.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Dec 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2GTO Anderson Powerpole passthrough current rating #Mach2GTO

How much current can I draw through the Anderson Powerpole passthrough on the Mach2GTO?

Or alternatively, what is the AWG & length of the internal wiring, and are the Powerpole connectors 15, 30 or 45 amp rated?

Second, are those wires pure passthrough without any connection (even just ground) to the mount's internal wiring? For example, is there a technical reason that it can't be used for 5V? Or 24V? Or 12V A/C ?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Dale Ghent

On Dec 29, 2020, at 00:53, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@gmail.com> wrote:

It is a straight-through run that is fully isolated from the mount frame, as it should be. It has no internal fusing. That wouldn't be a bad thing to add. My memory is a bit faded but IIRC, it is 14 ga wire and can handle up to 15 amps, although 10 amps is a more reasonable limit. Roland or George will correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, and distance is also a factor when it comes to sizing DC wiring. I just use the following tool to keep myself straight:

https://powerwerx.com/help/recommended-wire-gauge-calculator

/dale

Dale Ghent

Erm. I have to ask, based on your questions, just what is it that you have in mind?

Any typical single- or dual-imager setup riding on top of the mount should not pull anything near 15A @ 12V DC continuous *at all*, and one shouldn't even entertain the thought of running AC through an ungrounded cable harness that also runs parallel to the USB and, for some appreciable length, the encoder data cables. PowerPole 30/45 connectors *can* carry AC current just as well as DC, but the overall wiring harness has to be designed for AC, which means including proper grounding conductors and all. The Mach2's harness is clearly intended for low voltage DC. You could very likely do 24V DC, but why? You would still need a DC-DC transformer riding on top of your mount to step it down to 12V because that's what any astrogear you would have that wired into would be designed to consume.

For reference, my QHY600 and 2x dew straps pull 3.5A in the winter and bounces around in the upper 4's in the summer. The other powered things that consume top-of-mount power, such as my guide cam and mostly-idle focuser motor take next to nothing and nothing, respectively. So I'd say for the typical single main camera imaging setup, your concerns should not go beyond 60-80W of power, and if it does, a fuse ought to be blowing somewhere.

On Dec 28, 2020, at 22:02, deonb <deonb@outlook.com> wrote:

How much current can I draw through the Anderson Powerpole passthrough on the Mach2GTO?

Or alternatively, what is the AWG & length of the internal wiring, and are the Powerpole connectors 15, 30 or 45 amp rated?

Second, are those wires pure passthrough without any connection (even just ground) to the mount's internal wiring? For example, is there a technical reason that it can't be used for 5V? Or 24V? Or 12V A/C ?

Christopher Erickson

It is a straight-through run that is fully isolated from the mount frame, as it should be. It has no internal fusing. That wouldn't be a bad thing to add. My memory is a bit faded but IIRC, it is 14 ga wire and can handle up to 15 amps, although 10 amps is a more reasonable limit. Roland or George will correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO, putting anything besides 12-14 VDC on it is inviting problems. Too easy to mix up power supplies and devices and burn stuff up. I think it is better to just run the 12-14 VDC and then use regulators to step the voltage down (or up) from there after it has emerged out of the top of the mount.

Of course YMMV.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM deonb <deonb@...> wrote:

deonb