Setting Daylight Savings Time Using ASCOM V2 Driver

Wendelin Burkhardt

Is there a way to set Daylight savings time or standard time using the ASCOM driver?  I know this can be done using the Keypad, but I usually don’t have it connected to the mount.  Software that I have written to control the mount has altitude limits in it and I have noticed that since we switched back to standard time the mount thinks the objects are lower in the sky than they actually are.

Dale Ghent

On Dec 16, 2020, at 13:59, Wendelin Burkhardt <wendelb@pacbell.net> wrote:

Is there a way to set Daylight savings time or standard time using the ASCOM driver? I know this can be done using the Keypad, but I usually don’t have it connected to the mount. Software that I have written to control the mount has altitude limits in it and I have noticed that since we switched back to standard time the mount thinks the objects are lower in the sky than they actually are.
GMT offsets are automagically handled by the driver/APCC. Your computer having an up to date timezone database is how is the is possible, where maintaining such a thing on the keypad is impractical.

/dlae

Wendelin Burkhardt

Dale,

I don't have APCC on my system. I wrote some programs that control the operation of the mount, scope and camera through the ASCOM driver. Since the time change, and because I have been lazy, I didn't update the CP4 to reflect standard time rather than Daylight Savings time. This has caused a couple of mostly annoyances. First, the mount thinks that all stars in the west are at lower altitude than they actually are. This causes the code to abort a photo if the star is too low on the horizon. The code I have written also reports back the altitude at which an exposure starts and ends. These are incorrect as well, which impacts any star intensity corrections that get performed later. If I could change the daylight savings time switch with software, it would simplify things greatly (as well as making sure that I don't forget to do this manually which usually happens).

Is there a way to set Daylight savings time or standard time using the ASCOM driver? I know this can be done using the Keypad, but I usually don’t have it connected to the mount. Software that I have written to control the mount has altitude limits in it and I have noticed that since we switched back to standard time the mount thinks the objects are lower in the sky than they actually are.
GMT offsets are automagically handled by the driver/APCC. Your computer having an up to date timezone database is how is the is possible, where maintaining such a thing on the keypad is impractical.

/dlae

Roland Christen

Just set everything up to run on Universal time and you won't ever need to change anything again.

I don't have APCC on my system.  I wrote some programs that control the operation of the mount, scope and camera through the ASCOM driver.  Since the time change, and because I have been lazy, I didn't update the CP4 to reflect standard time rather than Daylight Savings time.  This has caused a couple of mostly annoyances.  First, the mount thinks that all stars in the west are at lower altitude than they actually are.  This causes the code to abort a photo if the star is too low on the horizon.  The code I have written also reports back the altitude at which an exposure starts and ends.  These are incorrect as well, which impacts any star intensity corrections that get performed later.  If I could change the daylight savings time switch with software, it would simplify things greatly (as well as making sure that I don't forget to do this manually which usually happens).

> Is there a way to set Daylight savings time or standard time using the ASCOM driver?  I know this can be done using the Keypad, but I usually don’t have it connected to the mount.  Software that I have written to control the mount has altitude limits in it and I have noticed that since we switched back to standard time the mount thinks the objects are lower in the sky than they actually are.

GMT offsets are automagically handled by the driver/APCC. Your computer having an up to date timezone database is how is the is possible, where maintaining such a thing on the keypad is impractical.

/dlae

Dale Ghent

Wendelin,

I was referring to the two options in the ASCOM driver for keeping the mount's clock sync'd with the PC's.

If you use only the ASCOM driver, open the A-P ASCOM driver configurator and expand the Advanced tab. Refer to the attached screenshot for the options, with a red box around them.

Having the "Sync Mount Time at Initialization" and "Keep Mount Time Synced to PC Time" option enabled should do what you want to do provided your PC's time is also correct. I believe the mount itself operates in UTC internally; the timezone offset is for display purposes. If you operate the mount with the driver and these options on, you should never have to worry about the mount's time, regardless of tz or dst status.

On Dec 17, 2020, at 18:11, Wendelin Burkhardt <wendelb@...> wrote:

[...]

I obviously misunderstood what you were getting at.  I will look at this later today.  If it doesn’t work, I will need to implement Roland’s recommendation and work off of Universal time.

Thanks again