Guiding on my plate again - NEED TO IMPROVE

Astrobob

I always look at new astro-software. You never know what new ideas might improve your computer abilities.

Ron i appreciate your enthusiasm, but alpha software that evolves every week is not what works for me

I have a very remote obs and it needs to be 100% reliable (or as close to it as i can).

I don't really have time or inclination to work with alpha software that is changing constantly, and presumably having bugs fixed

So i would say stability is a feature that is currently lacking in NINA alpha releases

Brian

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 7:20 AM Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@...> wrote:
If you have not tried the current alpha #36 then you have not tired it.  It improves greatly each week.  The new sequencer with LIVE editing, while it's running and drag and drop interface, is 2nd to none.
SGP is linear - you must do things SGPS way... NINA is completely free form. do what you want when ever you want.  Sequence is running and you can to jump to another target - make a couple quick easy changes while the sequence is running and target changed... edit exposure or gain during the sequence. Add or change the filter or add 1-2 more targets while it's running the current sequence. No problem.
If you are still with SGP - there is no way you have tried the current NINA nightly version.   This would be an impossibility.
Over 1000 members in the NINA FB group since I started it and most are coming from SGP. As to support...

I suggested custom horizons?   2 months later - they were provided.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:22 AM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I shall wait for the new release!

Brian

Brian Valente

>>>  (with allowances for apps that do things such as set your printer on fire. That would clearly be an objectively negative assessment).

this is exactly why i have avoided adding a printer to my telescope setup - can't take that chance ;)

I'm sure the NINA team appreciates the shout-out but I think app proselytizing is for a different venue. If SGPro works for Brian and his needs don't go beyond its capabilities, then there's no fault at all in sticking with that. The merits and demerits of any app are largely subjective (with allowances for apps that do things such as set your printer on fire. That would clearly be an objectively negative assessment).

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Dale Ghent

On Jan 15, 2021, at 10:20, Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Worsel

Ron

APPM is installed as part of APPC-Pro; hence, APPM version is the same as APPC-Pro.  The latest is 1.8.8.13.  I do not think you can install APPM separately.

Bryan

deonb

Ray mentioned support in it for 1.9 in December, not 1.8.9
https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/message/74821

(Not that it matter much, just in case someone searches this thread in the future and confused about it when/if there is a 1.8.9)

>>> To still be using SGP over NINA only means you've never given NINA a shot.

i appreciated your comments until this part - you're wrong on this.

I've tried NINA and used it for a while and i don't care for it. There are a lot of ways it works that i don't like.

I'm not a fanboy of SGP, but for me it's definitely the best out there right now, and I have many other software apps i use: ACP, TSX, NINA, etc.

My software preference is always evolving, so i'm sure i will give it a try again in the future, along with voyager,

Brian

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 9:31 AM Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@...> wrote:

Price is moot. Like me the people switching had bought and paid for SGP.  I will say "SGP worked" for me for 2 years. I didn't like it. But it worked. I tried others that didn't work so well and I was driven back to SGP again and again.  Until I found NINA.  I have already donated more in payment than I paid for SGP.  And I will donate much more over time.  It is that good.

While SGP may work.  It lacks the features and open-minded devs that NINA has.  Things as simple as a dark skin, or debayered sub preview are basics in NINA and were down right refused by SGP devs.  Now with the alpha release of the new Sequencer in NINA... it's all over.   I can tell NINA to wait for my target to pop up over my tree tops and shoot subs until it peeks behind my other treetops.   Or at 11pm slew to my next target and shoot it until nautical dawn or the target drops behind my tree line or house. (if it was ever in the way).

If you are satisfied with SGP because it works.  You're depriving yourself of greatness.  Though some may ride a bike vs a Ferrari to work - because well...  it also works.

To still be using SGP over NINA only means you've never given NINA a shot.

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Dale Ghent

Ray has already said that APPM will be able to use ASTAP directly in the upcoming 1.8.9 version. I have already said that NINA's SGPro API emulation is to the point where APPM can take images through NINA. Work is still ongoing but, in the end, APPM will be able to drive the a pointing model session using only these two apps when the 1.8.9 is released. I'm not aware of when this will be available, as that's Ray's and A-P's purview.

/dale

On Jan 14, 2021, at 12:31, Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Not getting anywhere. I may have to work on my SGP install again = (

skyview loads - but won't solve - it wants SGP no other options under the plate solve tab which I can use. I with my stand alone ASTAP install would be supported.

Clicking  SKIP PLATE SOLVES (for Testing) does not and  errors at the missing solver.

I need this, I typically can not trace unguided for over a minute without elongated stars.  Sadly only about 3 minutes with guiding before elongated stars.

I have improved guiding a LITTLE from the advice of a group member but not where it should be.  So ordered a new guide scope as mine is junk... I will do some major hardware layout changes and see if I can reduce the ridiculous 72lbs of counter weight on my lowly mach1 and see if I can get back to  .30 total RMS error like that of a  couple years ago.

My APPM version is  1.7.1.5  from 2019  is that the latest available?

>>>With the HORDES of people moving from SGP to NINA... it would be worthy of a APPM update?

That's a bit hyperbolic? :) NINA Is free (for now?) so it of course is going to attract more people

SGP has worked flawlessly for me with APPM and APCC.

I expect an initial platesolve to take longer in any plate solver, but once that's completed successfully, subsequent plate solves should be in seconds for platesolve2, astap, etc.

if it's taking longer, then there is likely a problem somewhere else, either in the plate solve settings, your coordinates/time, etc.

Brian

Ron Kramer

RAY thanks testing with NASA skyview now.  I tried to reinstall SGP (as I had deleted it) and I couldn't get APPM to be happy with the install. Com port issues - dome not slaving... I closed SGP and went back to NINA for the night and continued to have a slew of issues. (I think com ports were jumbled). Next day after full power down NINA was perfect again.

I still want to use APPM for a pointing model. I just read your above msg and selected NASA... but to make the model I need to do real pointing.  Is there a way I can use NINA and not run SGP?   NINA also uses ASTAP which solves in under 2 seconds... were as with SGP I used platesolve2 which IF IT WORKS takes 30+ seconds and when I tried it with APPM the solves were never successful.

With the HORDES of people moving from SGP to NINA... it would be worthy of a APPM update?

Ron Kramer

That's okay I was saying my solves work so I'll be good when I get stars.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 2:08 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
> I can't get NASA pics to solve. I did load one of mine in SGP and it solved right away.
> So I'm probably good to go if I can get clear skies.

Ron, unfortunately that is not sufficient. For whatever reason, SGPro uses different settings for external applications that want to perform plate-solving. Please take a look at the section in the help file for how to setup SGPro. Here is the link to the same info online (scroll to the end for the steps you should take in SGPro):

https://www.siriusimaging.com/Help/APCC/appm_platesolve_settings_tab.htm

Also, make sure you update SGPro to the latest build.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Ray Gralak