From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...>
Sent: Friday, November 27, 2020 11:18 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1100 GTO with AE installed today - but newbie question #Absolute_Encoders #Absolute_Encoders

Today I installed the Renishaw AEs on my AP1100GTO.

I am a newbie, what do I need to do to initialize them and turn them on?

Shailesh

Roland Christen

Please contact George on Monday and he will help you install the encoder personality into your CP4.

Today I installed the Renishaw AEs on my AP1100GTO.

I am a newbie, what do I need to do to initialize them and turn them on?

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Rolando,

Thanks to George and Liam, I was able to program the personality #120 into the CP4, VIa APCC now I see encoders enabled. Does one blue and one gree light mean the signals are solid?

Besides melting into the background, is there anything I need to be aware of with AEs on the AP1100 GTO?

ShaiIesh

Roland Christen

The blue and green means that the encoders are happy and getting solid signals. There is nothing else that you need to do. The mount is set to run under encoder control.

Thanks to George and Liam, I was able to program the personality #120 into the CP4, VIa APCC now I see encoders enabled. Does one blue and one gree light mean the signals are solid?

Besides melting into the background, is there anything I need to be aware of with AEs on the AP1100 GTO?

ShaiIesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Thank you, Rolando. Greatly look forward to some unguided imaging with my AP Stowaway, 130GTX and FSQ106.

BTW how do I ascertain tracking is cleaner compared to say my Paramount MX without encoders. Is there a utility or something in PEMPRO  or APCCPRO? KInd of like PHD2 that shows a RA/DEC tracking graph?

Shailesh

Roland Christen

Is there a utility or something in PEMPRO  or APCCPRO? KInd of like PHD2 that shows a RA/DEC tracking graph?
All three of them can show periodic error, or as you say a "tracking graph". While encoders will eliminate the main problem of periodic error, they cannot eliminate the slow drift in both RA and Dec caused by polar misalignment, atmospheric refraction and other secondary effects.

You need to be aware that perfect sidereal tracking does not compensate for the above items, and that the stars do not move at a simple tracking rate across the sky. If you want to track precisely down to the sub-arc sec level, you need to either guide or build a model that can compensate for the above items.

Thank you, Rolando. Greatly look forward to some unguided imaging with my AP Stowaway, 130GTX and FSQ106.

BTW how do I ascertain tracking is cleaner compared to say my Paramount MX without encoders. Is there a utility or something in PEMPRO  or APCCPRO? KInd of like PHD2 that shows a RA/DEC tracking graph?

Shailesh

Shailesh you can do a simple comparison

1.     Take a 5 minute sub (or whatever longer exposure) with encoders on.

2.     Next disable the encoders in APCC

3.     Take another sub of the same length

4.     Compare two images

5.       Wonder why you didn’t add encoders earlier J