140/155 4” Field Flatteners

Jeffrey Patrick

Roland,

What about larger chips in the future?
I made the mistake of not ordering it when I received my 140 back in 2008 and have been looking out for one on Astromart for quite some time.

Jeff

On Nov 27, 2020, at 12:28 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Nobody uses film any more.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io; main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Nov 27, 2020 1:24 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 130 EDF Starfire Field Flatteners

Roland,

Any interest /possibility in a run of the 4” FF for the 155/140??

Jeff

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Yes, that is the one we are looking to make. If enough interest (seems to be) we will make a small final run.

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Nov 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Are you talking about the 67PF562 Field Flattener?

I have a Starfire 130mm f/6 Starfire EDF APO.  I believe the 67PF562 is the flattener for this scope and have been looking to purchase one for a while.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

The PF562 field flatteners cover 65mm easily. Do you think there will ever be larger chips?

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Nov 27, 2020 3:01 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] 140/155 4” Field Flatteners

Roland,

I made the mistake of not ordering it when I received my 140 back in 2008 and have been looking out for one on Astromart for quite some time.

Jeff

On Nov 27, 2020, at 12:28 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

Roland,

Jeff

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Yes, that is the one we are looking to make. If enough interest (seems to be) we will make a small final run.

Rolando

I have a Starfire 130mm f/6 Starfire EDF APO.  I believe the 67PF562 is the flattener for this scope and have been looking to purchase one for a while.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Dale Ghent

The Sony IMX411 is 67mm on the diagonal, 151mp (14304x10748, 3.76um). It's the medium format version of the IMX455. I would absolutely love to be able to image with such a sensor and the fov on a 155 would be jaw-dropping. It would definitely require a focuser upgrade to carry that monster, though. One can dream!

/dale

On Nov 27, 2020, at 16:20, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The PF562 field flatteners cover 65mm easily. Do you think there will ever be larger chips?

Rolando

Roland,

I made the mistake of not ordering it when I received my 140 back in 2008 and have been looking out for one on Astromart for quite some time.

Jeff

Rolando

Roland,

Jeff

Rolando

I have a Starfire 130mm f/6 Starfire EDF APO.  I believe the 67PF562 is the flattener for this scope and have been looking to purchase one for a while.

-- 
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

-- 
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

-- 
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeffrey Patrick

Roland,

Of course no one knows what lies in the future, but I believe FLI already offers cameras with sensor diagonals of around 87mm.

Too expensive for me at this point, but once retirement rolls around I’d like to already have the optics needed for my 140.

I see that the 4” FF for the 160 is still available, but I understand that these may still be in stock from past production.

Not trying to be a pain, just asking while the possibility still exists.

I realize that glass availability may be an issue, plus your time is most likely already full with other projects.

I wish you, your family and all those at Astro-Physics a Happy and Healthy Holiday season.

Respectfully,

Jeff

On Nov 27, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

Roland,

Jeff

Rolando

Roland,

Jeff

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

The 67PF flatteners will cover 67mm with hardly any vignetting. In fact any of our flatteners will do it.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Nov 27, 2020 3:50 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 140/155 4” Field Flatteners

The Sony IMX411 is 67mm on the diagonal, 151mp (14304x10748, 3.76um). It's the medium format version of the IMX455. I would absolutely love to be able to image with such a sensor and the fov on a 155 would be jaw-dropping. It would definitely require a focuser upgrade to carry that monster, though. One can dream!

/dale

On Nov 27, 2020, at 16:20, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

Roland,

I made the mistake of not ordering it when I received my 140 back in 2008 and have been looking out for one on Astromart for quite some time.

Jeff

Rolando

Roland,

Jeff

Rolando

I have a Starfire 130mm f/6 Starfire EDF APO.  I believe the 67PF562 is the flattener for this scope and have been looking to purchase one for a while.

-- 
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

-- 
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

-- 
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

dvjbaja

Yep, the 67 flatteners that came with my 155 f/7 and 180 f/7 create a lovely 100mm image circle with minimum vignetting and great sharpness across the entire circle.  

A large array for that full coverage will be quite expensive, not to mention the cost of narrowband filters.   Smaller arrays work just fine for mosaics at a fraction of the cost.  Just say'n.   Oh and don't forget the PC requirements to handle stacks and stacks of 150 mp files.  

- jg

Dale Ghent

On Nov 27, 2020, at 19:46, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@gmail.com> wrote:

Yep, the 67 flatteners that came with my 155 f/7 and 180 f/7 create a lovely 100mm image circle with minimum vignetting and great sharpness across the entire circle.
End-game for me is a 155/7, so this is good to know!

A large array for that full coverage will be quite expensive, not to mention the cost of narrowband filters. Smaller arrays work just fine for mosaics at a fraction of the cost. Just say'n. Oh and don't forget the PC requirements to handle stacks and stacks of 150 mp files.
That's why the silicon gods granted us ThreadRipper! TRs help immensely even with the 60mp images of the IMX455 cameras. I'm waiting semi-patiently for AMD to sort out the supply of the new generation of ThreadRipper so I can return to doing things like local normalization and even 2x drizzling in PI and not have to wait half a lifetime for those processes to complete.

/dale

dvjbaja

Yep, T-ripper is good to process 1000 mosaic tiles done with 16803.  

-jg

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2020, at 19:46, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:
>
> Yep, the 67 flatteners that came with my 155 f/7 and 180 f/7 create a lovely 100mm image circle with minimum vignetting and great sharpness across the entire circle. 

> A large array for that full coverage will be quite expensive, not to mention the cost of narrowband filters.   Smaller arrays work just fine for mosaics at a fraction of the cost.  Just say'n.   Oh and don't forget the PC requirements to handle stacks and stacks of 150 mp files. 

That's why the silicon gods granted us ThreadRipper! TRs help immensely even with the 60mp images of the IMX455 cameras. I'm waiting semi-patiently for AMD to sort out the supply of the new generation of ThreadRipper so I can return to doing things like local normalization and even 2x drizzling in PI and not have to wait half a lifetime for those processes to complete.

/dale

Jiangtao Meng

Hi Rolando,

Does the Quad TCC require the same back distance to focal plane in AP 155 f/7 as in 130 f/6.3 GTX/GT.

Thanks,
JT

On Nov 27, 2020, at 20:53, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:

Yep, T-ripper is good to process 1000 mosaic tiles done with 16803.  

-jg

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 5:43 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2020, at 19:46, dvjbaja <jpgleasonid@...> wrote:
>
> Yep, the 67 flatteners that came with my 155 f/7 and 180 f/7 create a lovely 100mm image circle with minimum vignetting and great sharpness across the entire circle. 

> A large array for that full coverage will be quite expensive, not to mention the cost of narrowband filters.   Smaller arrays work just fine for mosaics at a fraction of the cost.  Just say'n.   Oh and don't forget the PC requirements to handle stacks and stacks of 150 mp files. 

/dale