How to keep APCC Tracking OFF ?

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,
    similar to the (sometimes undesirable) automatic Tracking hassle on APCC start up, I dislike the fact that ANY GOTO command automatically turns Sidereal Tracking back on.

    Recently, I was doing some camera check out, focussing on a distant condo construction crane.  Once, after clicking the TOGGLE Tracking button (off) I got the target in my scope sites, painstakingly using the direction slew buttons. However, if I adjusted the target, and needed to go back to the saved RA/AZ coordinates, that GOTO button in that tab, suddenly turned Sidereal Tracking back on. It was a constant battle to do a “saved” ALT/AZ  GOTO, and quickly toggle the Tracking, before the mount drifted away from my set target.
Uncomplimentary words were said to APCC !!!

    Am I missing something? Is there a setting to keep the tracking off? I tried to set the tracking to NONE, but the next GOTO still flipped it back on again.
There are other times where I would like Tracking not to interfere – one time I was trying to construct an APCC  Horizon Limits  plot. There may be other circumstances, where I want total manual control of the mount, via the APCC rather than a Hand Pad.

    How do I kill all APCC Tracking, until I specifically re-enable that feature?

Joe Z.

Ray Gralak

Hi Joe,

similar to the (sometimes undesirable) automatic Tracking hassle on APCC start up,
APCC gives you full control of the tracking behavior on startup. I just posted three options to choose from.

However, if I adjusted the target, and needed to go back to the saved RA/AZ coordinates,
that GOTO button
If I understand what you are saying, then using any of the mount's move buttons will turn tracking on. That's because to stop a move command when you release a button, the mount must send a "Q" command, which enables tracking. That is the way the firmware works and is not something specific to APCC.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

Why you do not set your special position as a Park Position. So you can be sur that the mount is not moving after reaching that position. ;-))

Grüsse

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 22.11.2020 um 23:11 schrieb Joe Zeglinski <J.Zeglinski@...>:

[...]

Ray, sorry about my not being clear.

    What I meant to say is that after I managed to kill the tracking by rapidly going to the “Toggle Tracking” button,  it would eventually toggle itself back on, for some reason,   EVERY time I clicked the GOTO button, beside my saved AZ/ALT coordinates,  in the GoTo/ReCal  tab. That happened,  even while the mount was NOT tracking at the time.  I wasn’t aware that all  GOTO’s automatically re-activate tracking.

    That is not to say that I don’t appreciate such a shortcut. I almost never operate the mount in “non-astronomical mode”, so triggering tracking lest I should forget to activate it myself, is a nice thing. I will just have to remember your earlier posted instructions on disabling this feature, on those rare circumstances when I need the mount to act like a theodolite.

    In between my turning off the tracking,   I was using the MOVE SCOPE section’s direction keys  - rather than attaching my Hand Pad - to adjust my camera  pointing at my chosen “land target”. Then, when I wanted to move it back to its original target starting point AZ/ALT coordinates, the GOTO beside the AZ/ALT box, made the CP4 jump back into Sidereal tracking mode.
Trying to get the mount to stand still for that session, became a cat & mouse game between that GOTO and the TOGGLE TRACKING button.

Meanwhile ....
    Yes, I do need to update my APCC PRO software,  as well as the CP4 on my AP-1200.
I noticed  an APCC  box saying I needed to Update my “Firmware”. Thinking it wasn’t urgent,  I was putting that off a bit, until the new firmware and manual, which everybody had been talking about, had finally been officially released.
I wasn’t certain whether that major Firmware update was for everybody’s CP4 & CP5,  or was just meant for the CP5 and the Mach-2 mount.
I’ll get on that task this week.

Joe Z.

>     similar to the (sometimes undesirable) automatic Tracking hassle on APCC start up,

APCC gives you full control of the tracking behavior on startup. I just posted three options to choose from.

> However, if I adjusted the target, and needed to go back to the saved RA/AZ coordinates,
> that GOTO button

If I understand what you are saying, then using any of the mount's move buttons will turn tracking on. That's because to stop a move command when you release a button, the mount must send a "Q" command, which enables tracking. That is the way the firmware works and is not something specific to APCC.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Ray Gralak

Hi Joe,

In between my turning off the tracking, I was using the MOVE SCOPE section’s direction keys - rather than
attaching my Hand Pad - to adjust my camera pointing at my chosen “land target”. Then, when I wanted to move it
back to its original target starting point AZ/ALT coordinates, the GOTO beside the AZ/ALT box, made the CP4 jump
back into Sidereal tracking mode.
Trying to get the mount to stand still for that session, became a cat & mouse game between that GOTO and the
TOGGLE TRACKING button.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to recreate this behavior using APCC Pro v1.8.8.3 and firmware VCP4-P01-13.

Here is what I did:

1) Unparked and turned off mount tracking.
2) To save the mount's current Alt/Az position, I clicked "Load Mount Alt/Az" on APCC's GoTo/Recal tab.
3) In APCC's "Move Scope" control box, I moved the mount around a bit with the Move buttons. Tracking does not become enabled.
4) Back on the GoTo/ReCal tab, I clicked "Goto" in the Alt/az control box. Again, after the Alt/Az slew finished, tracking does not become enabled.

So, please try these steps after you have updated to the latest version of firmware and APCC software. If there is still a problem, send me a link to your logs, and we will take a look.

Best regards,

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Roland Christen

Timed moves (such as pushing the E-W buttons on the keypad or on the ASCOM driver) do not change the tracking rate. If you have rate set to zero the mount will remain at zero.

Co-ordinate moves will toggle the rate to sidereal at the end of the move.