AP1200GTO #Keypad

Don Anderson

John
As Dale has said, there are a number of software/camera based polar alignment tools out there. I am a mobile imager (TV NP127is on AP900GOTO CP3) and I use the RAPAS for polar alignment. It is a dream to use and super accurate. I can pick up Polaris in the early evening dusk and be polar aligned in about 10 min.
Welcome back!

Don Anderson

On Friday, November 20, 2020, 11:18:57 a.m. MST, jpk1018@... <jpk1018@...> wrote:

Thanks for the info I have called AP and just decided to send in my keypad and have them update it and install the new battery ship it back to me with the new chip and grease kit and I should then pretty much be back in business.
John 

Seb@stro

Is the object database located in a non-volatile memory in the newest keypad or is it the same behavior in both the "old" and "new" model ?

Sébastien

De : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> de la part de uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Envoyé : 20 novembre 2020 14:13
À : main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Objet : Re: [ap-gto] AP1200GTO #Keypad

The object database will be scrambled. It can be re-loaded of course. Nothing else is affected.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Nov 20, 2020 1:05 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] AP1200GTO #Keypad

Thanks!  When you say my database will be lost, do you mean my sites, locations, dates and times?  

Jeff

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

BTW, what are the symptoms of a dead hand paddle battery?
You will lose the database and your GoTos will be erratic.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm

I do have to second about what Roland says about the basic accuracy of the 1200.  

I've a 1200 in a dome supporting an 8.75" F12 achromat with some nice Parallax rings.  When first installed, I did two daytime alignments with the sun.  I followed that up in the evening with a few SkyX/T-point models to get my polar alignment miss (very carefully the old fashioned way with a 20mm X hair eyepiece, 10 stars on each side).  After the third model, my altitude adjustment was called "excellent" and my azimuth adjustment "good enough".  But I'm a firm practitioner of going against the principle of "the bitter enemy of good is better" so I disconnected the SkyX and did a drift on a star low in the east.  After about 40 minutes, I had it down to where the star stayed put on the x-hairs at ~135X, for a good 10+ minutes (I slightly defocus the star).  

I then used the hand paddle to slew to and sync on a star close to the equator and meridian.  Now slews typically put the object within 3 or 4 arc minutes of center at the worst and typically nails the planets.  

That's pretty good in my book, especially with no model!

Jeff

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 1:01 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:06 AM, jpk1018@... wrote:
>
> Thanks Dale I do mostly imaging and yes I will call AP and get a battery and probably do the chip as well.

Ah. Since you're imaging, you can use any number of software-assisted polar alignment methods, so the RAPAS isn't really a needed upgrade then.

Yeah I would just do the maintenance items and you'll pretty much have a caught-up mount that works quite well. You can then consider something like APCC Standard or Pro once you get a V2 chip into the CP3 (or, unless you have a CP2, you will need to get a CP4 or second-hand CP3 with V2 chip to use APCC).

/dale

Roland Christen

The object database will be scrambled. It can be re-loaded of course. Nothing else is affected.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Nov 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks!  When you say my database will be lost, do you mean my sites, locations, dates and times?  

Jeff

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 1:46 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

I do have to second about what Roland says about the basic accuracy of the 1200.  

I've a 1200 in a dome supporting an 8.75" F12 achromat with some nice Parallax rings.  When first installed, I did two daytime alignments with the sun.  I followed that up in the evening with a few SkyX/T-point models to get my polar alignment miss (very carefully the old fashioned way with a 20mm X hair eyepiece, 10 stars on each side).  After the third model, my altitude adjustment was called "excellent" and my azimuth adjustment "good enough".  But I'm a firm practitioner of going against the principle of "the bitter enemy of good is better" so I disconnected the SkyX and did a drift on a star low in the east.  After about 40 minutes, I had it down to where the star stayed put on the x-hairs at ~135X, for a good 10+ minutes (I slightly defocus the star).  

I then used the hand paddle to slew to and sync on a star close to the equator and meridian.  Now slews typically put the object within 3 or 4 arc minutes of center at the worst and typically nails the planets.  

Jeff

>
> Thanks Dale I do mostly imaging and yes I will call AP and get a battery and probably do the chip as well.

Ah. Since you're imaging, you can use any number of software-assisted polar alignment methods, so the RAPAS isn't really a needed upgrade then.

Yeah I would just do the maintenance items and you'll pretty much have a caught-up mount that works quite well. You can then consider something like APCC Standard or Pro once you get a V2 chip into the CP3 (or, unless you have a CP2, you will need to get a CP4 or second-hand CP3 with V2 chip to use APCC).

/dale

Jeff B

Jeff

Rolando

Jeff

>

/dale

Roland Christen

Rolando

Jeff

>

/dale

Jeff B

Jeff

>

/dale

jpk1018@...

Thanks for the info I have called AP and just decided to send in my keypad and have them update it and install the new battery ship it back to me with the new chip and grease kit and I should then pretty much be back in business.
John 

Dale Ghent

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:06 AM, jpk1018@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Dale I do mostly imaging and yes I will call AP and get a battery and probably do the chip as well.

/dale

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

I use platesolving to get me where I need to be, and this has worked very well. But there are times when I need a better goto/slew position.
Since I acquired and installed APCC Pro, I created a 250 point model. I was amazed at the improvement in not just guiding but the initial gotos. It is rare now that I don't get within 10-30 arc sec of initial goto across the entire sky. 

On 11/20/2020 12:25 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The mount is quite accurate in positional moves, but that doesn't mean that your scope is pointing where you think it should. The gearwheels themselves are accurate to a few arc seconds over the entire 360 degree rotation. What causes in-accuracy in pointing will be time errors, which affects the RA pointing, and Polar misalignment, which affects both RA and Dec pointing. Add to that the inevitable orthogonal misalignment of the telescope with respect to the mount, and you have a number of errors which accumulate. These errors affect both pointing and tracking.

So, to say the mount is inaccurate is misleading, rather it is the setup that is inaccurate. Some of these inaccuracies can be compensated with suitable software, such as APCC pro, which has sky modeling. Or you can circumvent some of these by using plate solve and doing guided imaging.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1200GTO #Keypad

Greetings group, been away from observing for quite sometime so basically starting over. As mentioned I have an early to mid 2000 1200 gto mount, my question is what is the best upgrades that I can do to bring the mount up to 2020? Right now the mount is not accurate in it's slewing even after syncing on a known star/planet. Obviously since this is completely original and the last time I used it which was probably at least 8 yrs ago something needs to be corrected or updated. I had used it quite accurately in the past so being it is a very capable mount for my needs I want to get it back so I can start observing again.
Thanks in advance
John 

Dale Ghent

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:48 AM, Richard Hennig <richardghennig@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear John,

When the CR 1632 battery died in my hand controller, I simply got a replacement at the hardware store for about $5. It was easy to change. Also, reloading the database was straightforward but took about an hour or so. The instructions for updating the software and database on the hand controller on the AP website are very detailed and easy to follow.
This advice isn't universal since there are 2 generations of keypads. The older model keypad with less memory does indeed take an off-the-shelf CR1632. The newer-generation keypad with more memory requires a special battery that has a wiring harness attached to it... not something you'll find in CVS ;) If in doubt, call Astro-Physics.

Roland Christen

The mount is quite accurate in positional moves, but that doesn't mean that your scope is pointing where you think it should. The gearwheels themselves are accurate to a few arc seconds over the entire 360 degree rotation. What causes in-accuracy in pointing will be time errors, which affects the RA pointing, and Polar misalignment, which affects both RA and Dec pointing. Add to that the inevitable orthogonal misalignment of the telescope with respect to the mount, and you have a number of errors which accumulate. These errors affect both pointing and tracking.

So, to say the mount is inaccurate is misleading, rather it is the setup that is inaccurate. Some of these inaccuracies can be compensated with suitable software, such as APCC pro, which has sky modeling. Or you can circumvent some of these by using plate solve and doing guided imaging.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Nov 20, 2020 9:17 am
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1200GTO #Keypad

Greetings group, been away from observing for quite sometime so basically starting over. As mentioned I have an early to mid 2000 1200 gto mount, my question is what is the best upgrades that I can do to bring the mount up to 2020? Right now the mount is not accurate in it's slewing even after syncing on a known star/planet. Obviously since this is completely original and the last time I used it which was probably at least 8 yrs ago something needs to be corrected or updated. I had used it quite accurately in the past so being it is a very capable mount for my needs I want to get it back so I can start observing again.
Thanks in advance
John 

Richard Hennig

Dear John,

When the CR 1632 battery died in my hand controller, I simply got a replacement at the hardware store for about $5. It was easy to change. Also, reloading the database was straightforward but took about an hour or so. The instructions for updating the software and database on the hand controller on the AP website are very detailed and easy to follow.

Clear skies,
Richard

On Nov 20, 2020, at 11:06 AM, jpk1018@... wrote:

Thanks Dale I do mostly imaging and yes I will call AP and get a battery and probably do the chip as well.

jpk1018@...

Dale Ghent

On Nov 20, 2020, at 10:17 AM, jpk1018@gmail.com wrote:

First, some maintenance items:

* New keypad battery, $25 or so. Must order over the phone from Astro-Physics because which battery you need depends on your keypad serial number. The one in your keypad is probably dead.

* Consider regreasing. Should be no problem if you're mechanically-inclined and patient.Your mount likely has the factory grease in it still and after so much time it ought to be replaced, especially if the mount wasn't stored in a climate-controlled setting.

* After replacing the battery, update keypad firmware and restore keypad database. Instructions online.

* If you have a CP3 controller, consider the upgrading it to the V2 chip which is the last of the hardware-based upgrades for the CP3. New capabilities (park positions, probably other things) and bug fixes.

Other than that, there are some creature comforts such as the RAPAS polar alignment scope. Are you visual or an imager?

/dale

KHursh

1. Clean, regrease and remesh gears
2. CP3 v2 or CP4 (maybe)

jpk1018@...

Thanks in advance
John