1100GTO upgraded with AE...

Khushrow Machhi

I have just upgraded my 1100GTO by adding the absolute encoders and last night I tested it out for the first time.  I ran a pointing model, a modest one to start, 33 points.  After this I had the tracking and pointing corrections on.  The tracking was decent but not what I expected.  My question is how do I tell that the encoders are working vs. the tracking improvement coming from the fact that I ran a model.  I would like to ascertain that the encoders are working and any thoughts on this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Khushrow

Bill Long

Check the lights on the read heads should be blue or green. Check in APCC Pro on the AE tab. If you don't see the AE tab you need to contact AP.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Khushrow Machhi via groups.io <kmachhi@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:29 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] 1100GTO upgraded with AE...

I have just upgraded my 1100GTO by adding the absolute encoders and last night I tested it out for the first time.  I ran a pointing model, a modest one to start, 33 points.  After this I had the tracking and pointing corrections on.  The tracking was decent but not what I expected.  My question is how do I tell that the encoders are working vs. the tracking improvement coming from the fact that I ran a model.  I would like to ascertain that the encoders are working and any thoughts on this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Khushrow

Peter Nagy

Bill,

I don't think the LEDs at the read heads are meaningful. It simply tells you the encoders are powered on but not necessarily enabled. You can power up the mount and the LEDs will still light up whether the encoders are enabled or not. That's at least what I remembered when I first installed AE in my A-P1100GTO mount. It was very easy to install.

I think it's best to use either ASCOM driver or APCC to tell you whether the encoders are enabled or not. Or while the mount is tracking, you can forcefully move either axes with your hands and if either axes fight back to move back to original position, then you know the encoders are working.

Peter

Hi Khushrow

if endorse are on you will see it on the AE Tab like this:

image.png

to see if the model is active, click on pointing model and look on the options to make sure they are enabled

image.png

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 8:36 AM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
Check the lights on the read heads should be blue or green. Check in APCC Pro on the AE tab. If you don't see the AE tab you need to contact AP.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Khushrow Machhi via groups.io <kmachhi=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:29 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] 1100GTO upgraded with AE...

Thanks,
Khushrow

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Bill Long

The color matters based on the sheets from Renishaw. The other point I mentioned, the AE tab in APCC Pro also matters since you won't see that if the personality isn't set correctly.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Nagy <topboxman@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1100GTO upgraded with AE...

Bill,

I don't think the LEDs at the read heads are meaningful. It simply tells you the encoders are powered on but not necessarily enabled. You can power up the mount and the LEDs will still light up whether the encoders are enabled or not. That's at least what I remembered when I first installed AE in my A-P1100GTO mount. It was very easy to install.

I think it's best to use either ASCOM driver or APCC to tell you whether the encoders are enabled or not. Or while the mount is tracking, you can forcefully move either axes with your hands and if either axes fight back to move back to original position, then you know the encoders are working.

Peter

Encoder LED color indicates if the encoder is powered, but also the data quality it is sending. If your encoder LED is red, it means you will not be getting any useful data from the encoder. Blue and green are good colors to see.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Long
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2020 10:46 AM
To: Peter Nagy <topboxman@...>; main@ap-gto.groups.io

The color matters based on the sheets from Renishaw. The other point I mentioned, the AE tab in APCC Pro also matters since you won't see that if the personality isn't set correctly.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Nagy <topboxman@...>

Bill,

Peter

Khushrow Machhi

On RA the LED is green, and on the DEC it is blue, so the fact they are not red is good, but what do green and blue mean?

I have the AE tab on APCC-pro and the encoders are enabled.  I would like to ascertain that the encoders are making the mount track better or was I seeing better tracking just because of the pointing model?  

Thanks for all the feedback.

Khushrow

W Hilmo

Yes, the LED colors are meaningful.  When I upgraded my mount to absolute encoders, I found the Renishaw documentation for the read heads and it described the meaning of the colors.  Essentially, red is no signal, orange is weak signal, green is good signal and blue is the strongest signal.

The first time that I powered on the mount after the upgrade, I saw lots of orange, and a bit of red.  I called AP and spoke with George.  He relayed the steps that they use to adjust the encoders.  It was quite simple and took me about 10 minutes to adjust them so that both axes were green and blue all the way around.

-Wade

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Nagy
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Bill,

Peter

Roland Christen

what do green and blue mean?
It means they are healthy.

If you want to see before and after, simply turn on your favorite guider program. Pick a star near the celestial equator and meridian. Start tracking but turn off all guiding pulses. Watch the RA and Dec axes. You will see the RA axis track steadily without any periodic error. Both RA and Dec will jump around a bit due to atmospheric seeing, and that is normal, and is not something an encoder can correct. Both axes will probably drift from their zero line, and again this is not something that the encoders can correct. That drifting will be almost 100% due to your polar alignment.

Once you do these tests, you could turn the encoders off and watch the RA for it's normal periodic error (Dec will have none, of course). Be sure to turn them back on after this run.

Now that you have satisfied your curiosity about the encoders actually doing something (elimination of PE in RA), then it's time to apply the models in APCC-APPM. This is where the real work of tracking occurs.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Nov 11, 2020 2:27 pm

On RA the LED is green, and on the DEC it is blue, so the fact they are not red is good, but what do green and blue mean?

I have the AE tab on APCC-pro and the encoders are enabled.  I would like to ascertain that the encoders are making the mount track better or was I seeing better tracking just because of the pointing model?  

Thanks for all the feedback.

Khushrow

Khushrow Machhi

Thanks Roland! With this post and a couple of emails from George I am all set with checking out the performance and working on unguided or nudge guiding when I image.

Khushrow