Important Update from the ASCOM Initiative #APCC #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Good news, everyone!

There is a new update from the ASCOM Initiative! Looks like the latest version fixes some of the bugs introduced with 6.5 that affect plate solving in APCC. Here are the details, straight from the source.

Hi all,

We have just posted a release candidate for ASCOM Platform 6.5 Service Pack 1: https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases. This addresses a serious bug in the Transform component that was introduced in the initial Platform 6.5 release and which is known to have manifested in the Astro-Physics driver and in the AstroTortilla application. Other drivers and applications may also have been impacted.

If you have installed the initial Platform 6.5 release, we strongly advise you to update to the service pack 1 release candidate.

If you have already installed an early beta version of the service pack 1 release, we also advise you to update to the release candidate because it includes further fixes and supports clean reversion to Platform 6.4 SP1 if required.

In addition to fixing the Transform bug, service pack 1 includes several Device Hub and installer fixes. The Platform releases link above contains a full list of changes.

The Platform and Developer Components installers have been submitted to VirusTotal and are passed by all major anti-virus scanners. SHA1 and SHA256 checksums are listed immediately above the installer executables in the releases link above.

Best wishes, Peter

--
Liam Plybon
Astro-Physics

Dean Jacobsen

My setup runs fine now with ASCOM 6.4 SP1 so I am reluctant to be an early adopter and lose imaging time if I can't get APPM/SGPro/PlateSolve2 to work.

Is there a compelling reason why I should upgrade?  I am in the "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" camp.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

>>> Is there a compelling reason why I should upgrade?  I am in the "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" camp.

no, not in my opinion

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 9:52 AM Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
My setup runs fine now with ASCOM 6.4 SP1 so I am reluctant to be an early adopter and lose imaging time if I can't get APPM/SGPro/PlateSolve2 to work.

Is there a compelling reason why I should upgrade?  I am in the "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" camp.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

--
Brian

Brian Valente

It really depends on your setup. If what you have works, there is very little compelling reason to change. Here is the change list from the release notes that users can be concerned with, from the release notes. Personally, I would update because I know what a pain it is to support software when everyone uses outdated versions. For users, there have been some quality of life improvements and some very minor updates to precession precision. Since there is a clean revision to the 6.4 platform, I don’t think there is any significant harm.

Changes for Everyone

  • Device Hub
    • Side Of Pier and Destination Side Of Pier will now be calculated by Device Hub if not available from the downstream driver.
    • The dome shutter can now be opened and closed when slaved.
    • Exceptions are now trapped and logged during dome slaving calculations.
  • All references to the Yahoo ASCOM Talk forum have been replaced with references to the new Groups.IO forum.
  • All links referencing the ascom-standards.org web site now use HTTPS instead of HTTP.
  • DeltaT predictions, good to December 2021, have been revised based on the latest IERS predictions.
  • The SOFA component has been updated to use the latest IAU 21st July 2020 - Version 16 SOFA release.
  • Chooser Properties Button - detailed failure information will now be provided if a driver does not connect correctly.

Platform Issues fixed

  • A serious bug was introduced in the Astrometry.Transform class during Platform 6.5 implementation, which prevented a single instance from being used for multiple transforms. The bug has been fixed and Transform now works as it did in Platform 6.4.
  • Clients will now see the correct type of NotImplementedException (PropertNotImplementedExceptiony or MethodNotImplementedException) when Alpaca devices report that a member is not implemented.
  • Diagnostics:
    • Now correctly reports the Windows 10 operating system version.
    • A rare exception that occurred when recursing registry keys has been fixed.
  • Corrected a typo on in the message given if a disconnect fails when using the Choose and Connect to Device form. Thanks Marco!
  • Platform installer:
    • Works properly on machines whose PC Name contains a space character.
    • Handles unregistering drivers more gracefully.
    • Checks that the Windows Task Scheduler is enabled before attempting to create the earth rotation data update scheduled task.
    • Sets the required registry Profile store ACL on every install rather than assuming that it is correctly set when upgrading from a previous Platform version. Access to the Profile store is confirmed after setting the ACL and any issues will be reported by the installer.
    • Now detects whether controlled folder access is enabled on the user's Documents folder and aborts installation in this scenario.
    • Removes simulator COM entries when uninstalled.
    • Provides clean reversion back to Platform 6.4.
  • Device Hub
    • Improved support for locales that use comma as the decimal separator.
    • Profile settings will now be preserved when upgrading.
    • SideofPier exceptions will now be forwarded to the client.
    • SlewDomeToAzimuth now responds with the correct exception if an invalid azimuth value is requested.
    • The telescope Slewing flag is now correctly maintained when the mount is pulse guiding.

Basically, update if any of this sounds important.

Liam

>>> Is there a compelling reason why I should upgrade?  I am in the "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" camp.

no, not in my opinion

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 9:52 AM Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

My setup runs fine now with ASCOM 6.4 SP1 so I am reluctant to be an early adopter and lose imaging time if I can't get APPM/SGPro/PlateSolve2 to work.

Is there a compelling reason why I should upgrade?  I am in the "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" camp.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

--

Brian

Brian Valente

Dean Jacobsen

Thanks for the info Liam.  I appreciate the detailed reply.