Topics

Supporting a Mach2GTO #Mach2GTO

KHursh

Hi all,

In what turns out to be a shock, I was told that I am receiving a Mach2 before the end of the year from a vendor. I am also on the list for an 1100GTO and expected to hear from AP about that mount sooner, but life is funny and I am getting an encoder mount soon! That being said, I now need to consider what to put it on to minimize torque during imaging. I want solid! I am semi-permanently mounted at the moment. I have a home-made 8" aluminum portable pier for my 900GTO at the moment. I also have an ioptron Tri-pier. Roland (Rolando, Uncle Rollo, or whichever alias he prefers), suggested that the Losmandy tripod is weak in torsion or torque. I would like to avoid this and think I may abandon the tri-pier as a result.
Questions:
Would an 8"x 42" aluminum pier (on steel legs) with threaded rod turn-buckles work? Does filling it with sand (or whatever) do it?
Would a pier (aluminum or steel) be better?
I cannot do a concrete pier. I may be able to pour concrete and bolt a pier.
Any opinions welcome

dvjbaja

You will want an ATS pier.

-j

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Robert Berta

It seems to me the first question asked should be....are you looking for a permanent setup or one that can be moved to different locations? Next....what telescope are you mounting on it?
For a permanent setup just get a regular pier and pour a pad and bolt the pier to it. That would be the cheapest and strongest and most vibration resistant. If you have a friend who has a welder or you have your own you could build your own pier. i have my own welder so just got the steel tube and a couple of 12"x12" flat plates and welded them to the tube.. I used the AP flat plate adaptor which works with both my 900 and 1100 mounts. Before welding the plates to the tube, drill the holes and tap them for the flat plate adaptor and the holes in the lower plate to allow it to bolt to the concrete. If you have an existing concrete slab you can use a hammer drill to drill the hole in the concrete and than get expanding threaded inserts. If you don't have the hammer drill you can usually rent them from a store like Home Depot.

Note that the reason I asked about the telescope type is because that will make a big difference as to the height of the mount i.e. 6" refractor vs.11" SCT.

KHursh

Thanks Robert,

Right now I have a 5" refractor. I will be getting something in the c11 size at some point (10" iDK preferably). With my AP900 and portable pier now the mounting plate is face height (I'm 5'11"). In Park 3 I can mount pretty easily, but if I get heavier, I can use Park 2.

thefamily90 Phillips

An AP 900 is an excellent mount. I use it for my original version AP 10” Maksutov. Love it!

Jim