Unguided tracking with a 1200?

Peter Bresler

My first AP mount was a Mach1. I purchased APCC Pro with to use the pointing model. I was not successful in using that with my camera at the time and returned it, and also because SGP by itself met my need for accurate goto's with its auto centering. I am wondering now about unguided tracking with my Planewave 12.5 and AP1200? I now use only dedicated astro cameras, I still use SGP, which is the platesolve program for APPC Pro in any case. My need would be for 10 minute exposures, probably never more than 15 minutes. Should I try APPC Pro to try for unguided tracking with the 1200? I also have not yet purchased Pempro.

Steven Panish

I hope someone answers - I too have a 1200 and am interested in how well APCC Pro would work with it, and if the unguided tracking with model would be be better than guiding.  My guiding typically has a total RMS error of about .65 arc-sec and I also don't know if that is good, bad or indifferent (PHD2).

BTW the original CD for the mount should contain PemPro and a license, which is upgradeable to the latest version.

Steve

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM Peter Bresler via groups.io <PABresler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
My first AP mount was a Mach1. I purchased APCC Pro with to use the pointing model. I was not successful in using that with my camera at the time and returned it, and also because SGP by itself met my need for accurate goto's with its auto centering. I am wondering now about unguided tracking with my Planewave 12.5 and AP1200? I now use only dedicated astro cameras, I still use SGP, which is the platesolve program for APPC Pro in any case. My need would be for 10 minute exposures, probably never more than 15 minutes. Should I try APPC Pro to try for unguided tracking with the 1200? I also have not yet purchased Pempro.

Roland Christen

Depends on how low your PE is. Run a PEMProto see what your PE error is. If it's below 1 arc sec after PEM is applied, you can probably do 10 minute unguided subs. It also depends on what focal length and what type of scope. Some scopes have lots of flex that is hard to model.

[...]

Bob Benamati

FWIW.... I have a 900 CP3 that I can go about 5min reliably unguided. But since that's too short for my preferred subs, the bigger challenge for me has been taming differential flexure and getting autoguiding settings just right so that I'm not fighting the model's corrections (imaging at 1.23"/pixel with a guide scope) and the bad seeing I often get. I'm guessing some of the reason that I can't go longer also could relate to my very limited open sky, where above 61°N and below 35°E-W and S are blocked by trees and may reduce some of the modeling accuracy.

My PE is excellent, with a total P-P of 5.67 uncorrected, and +/- 1 with PEC.

So, if I were to sum it up, APCC is fantastic and worth it just for all of the other features--and the tracking model helps smooth the guiding out by quite a bit but doesn't eliminate guiding altogether.

HTH,
Bob

Sent via Verizon Wireless

On Oct 9, 2020 00:31, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
[...]

It actually has become something of a moot point for me. I am having good success with an OAG, although this was just a 3 minute exposure.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Peter,

    I’ve been regularly  doing 15 minute unguided photos with an RCOS-14.5 an my old AP-1200/CP4, and APCC PRO.
However, this was only after dedicating several hours over a few nights to running my PEMPRO for polar alignment, and PEC curve generation.

    I very strongly urge you to wisely invest in a copy of Ray Gralak’s  PEMPRO – it’s a no-brainer, even if you don’t have APCC, and no matter what other apps you use.

    You should  also have kept the APCC, just for ease of using the mount, and more importantly,  keeping an eye on the 3D view  of where it is actually pointed – to avoid unexpected collisions caused by some apps situations. I always keep a mouse button finger resting on the Emergency Stop button, whenever I slew the mount. After one crash, it is probably the best reason I bought APCC.

    Anyway, never go on long trip without checking the car, and likewise for Universal sky trips with the scope.
Joe Z.