Pier Crash - need help diagnosing #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Joel Short

I remotely updated things and I'll do that check later today when I'm out in the OBS.  But I was a bit reluctant to do anything until I had a confirmation that I did things right.  :)
joel

Eric M

It worked for me. Just manually slew to 5 degrees past meridian and see for yourself.

Joel Short

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 01:43 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
For those who want to try setting a limit, here are the commands:

:LR0#  turns off limits
:LR2#  turns on limits at 5 degrees past meridian, bounces back 6 degrees and parks the mount (motors de-energized).
I'm finally getting around to updating the CP4 to firmware AP-CP4-vcpx-p02-08.  I used the USB utility and all went well.
I would like to turn on the limit at 5 degrees past meridian.  In the Terminal tab of the USB utility I typed in    :LR2#    and hit send.  The only response I got back was "1".  Did it upload correctly?
joel

Joel Short

Thanks Rolando.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.
joel

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 1:27 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
We will have the latest version available shortly.

I'd like to try setting this command.  As someone else mentioned the latest software version is P01-14 and P02-06 is not on the website.  Is that just for CP5 perhaps?
Thanks,
joel

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 01:43 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
For those who want to try setting a limit, here are the commands:

:LR0#  turns off limits
:LR2#  turns on limits at 5 degrees past meridian, bounces back 6 degrees and parks the mount (motors de-energized).

You will need to have software version P02-06 or later software loaded in the CP4. You can do this using the Command Interface via Ethernet connection or WiFi. The above commands can be sent to the mount via the Interface Terminal. We plan to publish other new commands as they become available and have been fully debugged.

[...]

Rolando

Joel Short

[...]

I only see VCP4-P01-14 on the AP website, where can we get P02-06?

Eric

Dean Jacobsen

Would it be possible to start a new thread for this instead of having the information buried in this thread?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Roland Christen

For those who want to try setting a limit, here are the commands:

:LR0#  turns off limits
:LR2#  turns on limits at 5 degrees past meridian, bounces back 6 degrees and parks the mount (motors de-energized).

You will need to have software version P02-06 or later software loaded in the CP4. You can do this using the Command Interface via Ethernet connection or WiFi. The above commands can be sent to the mount via the Interface Terminal. We plan to publish other new commands as they become available and have been fully debugged.

This is fantastic news, thank you!!!! This will serve as an excellent safety mechanism, I'm sure it will save many from pier crashes.

The caveats all sound reasonable for those of us without encoders, the mount can't possibly know if the real position is correct or not, that is entirely our responsibility. I'd imagine with a bad recal users will notice their slews are way off long before the safety limit comes into play.

A variable window for the limit would certainly add some flexibility for those who might have a wider diameter pier or filter wheels/imaging equipment that could collide before the 5 degree window is reached.

Very much looking forward to this feature, I appreciate the response.

Eric

Eric M

This is fantastic news, thank you!!!! This will serve as an excellent safety mechanism, I'm sure it will save many from pier crashes.

The caveats all sound reasonable for those of us without encoders, the mount can't possibly know if the real position is correct or not, that is entirely our responsibility. I'd imagine with a bad recal users will notice their slews are way off long before the safety limit comes into play.

A variable window for the limit would certainly add some flexibility for those who might have a wider diameter pier or filter wheels/imaging equipment that could collide before the 5 degree window is reached.

Very much looking forward to this feature, I appreciate the response.

Eric

Roland Christen

You can simply verify it by manually slewing the mount in RA to the counterweight up position (past meridian). At 5 degrees past the meridian the mount will stop responding to a west button move, bounce back a small amount and park itself. You will not be able to move it further west, either by button move or tracking.

If you have the keypad, you can move it back east via the buttons, and once it is back in the counterweight down position it will automatically start tracking again. You can also move it out of the limits by simply issuing any object move command from the keypad objects list. The keypad also now has a flip command that allows you to flip to the other side and acquire the same object again. The keypad will automatically unpark the mount either way and the mount will then slew to the correct side with counterweight up. The only thing you cannot do is to move it via the buttons further past the limit.

If you use an external planetarium program to control the mount, you will first need to unpark the mount. SkyX will prompt you to unpark before it lets you slew the mount to another object. Other programs may need to re-start the mount.