Counterweights...How Much Is Too Much Too Balance? AP1100GTO

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

I've mounted a new scope I have...Plane Wave 12.5. I have the scope as far forward as I want in the saddle (might be able to move it another 2" ahead). Right now I have 110lbs of CW and it still isn't perfectly balanced (probably need another 10lbs.

Is having 110lbs of CW okay? The scope with the imaging train is probably 80lbs?

Roland Christen

Won't hurt the mount.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Counterweights...How Much Is Too Much Too Balance? AP1100GTO

I've mounted a new scope I have...Plane Wave 12.5. I have the scope as far forward as I want in the saddle (might be able to move it another 2" ahead). Right now I have 110lbs of CW and it still isn't perfectly balanced (probably need another 10lbs.

Is having 110lbs of CW okay? The scope with the imaging train is probably 80lbs?

Thanks Rolando,

Guess I'll be ordering another 30lber :)

Peter Bresler

I balanced my PW 12,5 with two 18s and two 10s, and use C clamps to balance the scope. Its right in balance.

Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...>

See the attached info from the A-P support page:

Thanks,

I’ll be trying to move mine ahead a little bit more.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Bresler via groups.io
Sent: September 28, 2020 9:28 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Counterweights...How Much Is Too Much Too Balance? AP1100GTO

I balanced my PW 12,5 with two 18s and two 10s, and use C clamps to balance the scope. Its right in balance.

CurtisC <calypte@...>

Just within the past week I added another 18 lb counterweight to my Mach1.  That allowed me to shove most of the weight to the top of the shaft, using a 10 lb to set the fine balance.  Scope is a TEC140ED with cameras.  To my great surprise, it's made a significant difference in PE.  My mount still doesn't meet the original spec, but whereas 20 p-to-p was typical before, now it's down to 11 p-to-p.

Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...>

Edited

When new, my Mach1 (2017) was just under the +/- 3.5, or 7 pk-pk.  I redid my PEMPro curve a couple of weeks ago, and found it to be just over 9".

With my PEMPro curve applied, it's now less than 1" pk-pk.  Guiding is exceptional with my three 9 lb counterweights at the top.

Ajay Narayanan

I found in a similar set up that going from a guidescope to an OAG reduced the counterweight requirement significantly. The moment arm of the guidescope in this picture is large.
OAG's bring other headaches and some folks use the guidescope itself as a secondary imager from time to time, but that would be one way to reduce counterweights.