From: Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri <mjmangieri@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Sep 22, 2020 8:10 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Strange behavior doing center here SGP and APCC/Meridian Zones #APCC

I've been having a strange problem when using the meridian limits and trying to plate solve on an object. I am using SGP, Stellarium and Stellarium Scope to pick and goto objects. I have horizon points set and meridian safe zones set in APCC.  I slew to a location in the east. The scope identifies the location as being a safe location and slews with CW up.  So far so good.  Now, after taking a frame and focus I see that the object is not centered. To rectify, I use the SGP 'center here' function (which has always worked for me). When I do, the mount flips the OTA to the other side of the pier. Once there, it does a plate solve, and when it fails (usually does the first time after a flip) the scope is flipped again back to the CW up position. This pendulum action continues until I manually stop the mount. This only happens when my initial starting location is close to a safe zone boundary or near the meridian.  I've successfully been able to start CW up in other cases.

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Thanks for the info. I had concluded myself that this might be the case. I believe SGP sends new coordinates.

On Sep 22, 2020, at 9:51 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

There is an interaction between safe zone and slewing within the counterweight up position for centering. It depends how the centering command is done. It can be done two ways, either with a timed move at 1x sidereal or by issuing a new coordinate. If it is done via a timed move, similar to the way guiding software does it, then there is no issue and the mount will move directly to the new position. If it is done via a commanded co-ordinate move, the mount will do a safe slew procedure, which first brings it to a counterweight down position before moving to the new commanded position.

At this time we have no way to distinguish between a commanded goto for centering and one for slewing to a new object. Therefore all commanded moves using coordinate slew methods will cause this back and forth motion, in and out of the safe zone.

[...]

Roland Christen

I believe SGP sends new coordinates.
Probably. MaximDL does this also and I have been fooled by it more than once.

Realistically, a centering move command should never be done via new coordinates. It prevents doing a proper sync or recal because if you center via coordinate command, the sync will simply use the new coordinates instead of defining the new position as the original object coordinate. Centering can be done quickly at sidereal rate for small distances, after all it moves 15 arc sec per second. If that's not fast enough, 12x or even 64x can be commanded by the external software. Why this is not used in 3rd party software is beyond me.

[...]

Ray Gralak

I've been having a strange problem when using the meridian limits and trying to plate solve on an object.
Are you using a pointing model?

Can you post a screenshot of your meridian limits tab?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Edited

I am using a pointing model.  Just a few minutes ago I ran a quick slew and reslew to see if I could recreate the problem.  Here is what I did:
1) From the Park 4 position, powered up and slewed to Jupiter
2) Mount correctly determined I was in the safe zone and slewed on the east side, CW up. Jupiter was centered.
3) I then commanded a new slew without any other changes - I use Stellarium Scope and Stellarium.  What I mean here is that I have selected Jupiter (which is already centered) and requested a slew.
4) The mount now decides to flip and acquire Jupiter with CW down (west side).

This can be recreated.  I've done it twice this evening.

I've attached both the SGP log and the APCC log links as well as the Meridian tab pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9c3uu8cnweoo5s5/APCC-2020-10-08-182856.txt?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee1kcey2ckqryv3/sg_logfile_20201008183331.log?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh9ggpeoa7t9l8v/Screenshot%202020-10-08%20191033.png?dl=0

I contacted MainSequence Software (SGP) and Jared had the following to say about the issue:

If your Sync Behavior is set to “Sync” in SGP, then the coordinates are not “new”, but the same ones we just sent the mount as that is where we actually want it to go. I don’t really understand the “Safe Zone” or how it’s implemented here. But it seems odd that asking the mount to slew to the same location would result in different behavior.

Jared

I have verfied that 'Sync' is set.

Michael

Ray Gralak

1) From the Park 4 position, powered up and slewed to Jupiter
2) Mount correctly determined I was in the safe zone and slewed on the east side,
CW up. Jupiter was centered.
1. How did you slew to Jupiter? By using the A-P hand controller? Or, through software?
2. If using software, what software?
3. How did you set the "safe zone" (meridian delay) Via Keypad, AP V2 driver, or APCC?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

My telescope is remotely controlled from my house to the outside property via a 100ft LAN cable. So I use Stellarium/Stellarium Scope for my pointing/slewing. The safe zone was created using APCC.

[...]

So, are you saying if you do nothing else but slew twice to Jupiter using Stellarium, the first slew results in a counterweight-up position, and the second slew causes a pier flip?

The mount's "flip point" is determined by the Meridian Delay. Can you post a screen shot of your Meridian delay tab in APCC?

And you are using APCC Pro v1.8.7.1?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Nevermind, I see your screenshot in your earlier posts shows that the "Override ASCOM" checkbox is not enabled.

If it is not enabled, the ASCOM driver's meridian delay can override the meridian delay set by APCC.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

A couple of additional changes that you should make:

1. If you want to ensure a counterweight-up position to the east of the meridian, you will need to update your meridian limits, so that the East and West sides are both to the left of the meridian on APCC's meridian limits chart. Here's a short video explaining how to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUj1WgFf3k

2. When you want an East flip point, you should uncheck the option "Send Limit with offset to SGPro".

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Ah, OK. I'll make these changes soon, but of course I may have to wait for the weather to clear. Might have a couple of clear spots tonight before I take in the OTA - storm 'Delta' is heading our way (it will be just a low when it gets here but lots of rain anticipated.

I had 'mirrored' the limits earlier last month, but when I re-calculated the limits for new equipment I must have forgotten to do that.

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know how it goes.

(I guess I could 'fake' the slew without the need to actually 'see' the object)

Mikey

My telescope is remotely controlled from my house to the outside
property via a 100ft LAN cable. So I use Stellarium/Stellarium Scope for my pointing/slewing. The safe zone was created using APCC.
On Oct 8, 2020, at 11:38 PM, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

1) From the Park 4 position, powered up and slewed to Jupiter
2) Mount correctly determined I was in the safe zone and slewed on
the east side, CW up. Jupiter was centered.
1. How did you slew to Jupiter? By using the A-P hand controller? Or, through software?
2. If using software, what software?
3. How did you set the "safe zone" (meridian delay) Via Keypad, AP V2 driver, or APCC?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center):
https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver:
https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

[...]

Just made the settings and tried it out. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks much Ray !!
Now, can you clear the clouds? 😊