Topics

Low temp version of the #Mach2GTO

Seb@stro

Hi AP,

Just wondering if the "L" version of the mount is only about the encoders or if there is more to it:
- lubricant
- electronics
- motors, etc.

Arctic winds can bring temps down to -33C at my location. And it can get as hot as +30C in summer (90% + humidity), so I'd like some advice on how far down my soon-to-order Mach2(-L) is rated to work and if I'm better regreasing between seasons (hopefully not). Above figures are the extremes happening about 20-25 days a year (but seamingly more frequent from year to year) as for most part, we get -18 to -23C  in winter and +22 to +28C during summer.

Thanks and clear skies!

Sébastien

Roland Christen

The gearbox won't freeze because there is no gearbox - the Mach2 is belt driven.

The worm grease may stiffen up a bit, but the lubricant is rated to -40C and even if it stiffens up a bit, that will not impede the actions of the worm. Re-lubing the worm is easy - there is a cover plate that you remove which then exposes the worm teeth.

The main shaft bearings may get a bit stiff, but there is nothing you can do about re-lubing them since they are sealed.

I have run the mount in a deep freezer at -29C (mount was covered in ice after several days) and also outside in the observatory in some very frigid conditions. The mount worked fine and slewed easily at 1800x. You can set the slew rate to a lower level for really cold conditions.

Just wondering if the "L" version of the mount is only about the encoders or if there is more to it:
- lubricant
- electronics
- motors, etc.

Arctic winds can bring temps down to -33C at my location. And it can get as hot as +30C in summer (90% + humidity), so I'd like some advice on how far down my soon-to-order Mach2(-L) is rated to work and if I'm better regreasing between seasons (hopefully not). Above figures are the extremes happening about 20-25 days a year (but seamingly more frequent from year to year) as for most part, we get -18 to -23C  in winter and +22 to +28C during summer.

Thanks and clear skies!

Sébastien

Terry Martin

Can I make the assumption that the Low Temp encoders must be used in those frigid conditions?  ...or anything approaching those frigid conditions?

Terry

Seb@stro

Thanks Rolando ! A few more questions if you will:

I have run the mount in a deep freezer at -29C (mount was covered in ice after several days)

Would you say the ice/frost meltdown is a possible hazard to the mount when temp rises or are the housings waterproof enough not to worry about it ?

The mount worked fine and slewed easily at 1800x. You can set the slew rate to a lower level for really cold conditions.

In the long run (several years of chilly winters), besides reducing slew rate and regreasing the worm when applicable (and obviously keeping obs roof shut during snowstorm 😉), are there any other precautions needed to keep the mount operation optimal ?  Should the CP5 be kept inside (at room temperature) between imaging sessions, for example ?

Sébastien

Groups.io Links:

You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#73310) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Unfollow This Topic | New Topic
Mute #mach2gto
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [sebastiendore1@...]

_._,_._,_

Seb@stro

Hi Terry,

I think Rolando has often stated (in other threads) that the standard encoder version can perform well in the cold winter of Illinois (if it means something to you,.. it didn't to me) but the point, I think, is rather that the low temp version is rated (hence garanteed by design / sampling) by the manufacturer (Renishaw) to work accurately through their specified operating temperature range (-40 to +80C)...

Clear skies!

Sébastien

Terry Martin

Thanks Sébastien,

The reason I asked was I have ordered a Mach 2 through a dealer and the dealer had told me when I placed the order that the standard encoder was good to -20C, which would probably work for me (I guess I'm a bit of a wimp), but I did see on the Renishaw website that the Standard encoder has an operating range of 0C to +80C.  I have sent an email to my dealer asking if I could change my order to the Low Temp version.

Terry

Jeffc

Along these lines of the "low temp" encoder...   Is there any disadvantage to the low-temp encoder?   (other than the additional cost?)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 7:23 PM Terry Martin <terry@...> wrote:
Thanks Sébastien,

The reason I asked was I have ordered a Mach 2 through a dealer and the dealer had told me when I placed the order that the standard encoder was good to -20C, which would probably work for me (I guess I'm a bit of a wimp), but I did see on the Renishaw website that the Standard encoder has an operating range of 0C to +80C.  I have sent an email to my dealer asking if I could change my order to the Low Temp version.

Terry

Roland Christen

Is there any disadvantage to the low-temp encoder?
No.