Topics

Problem with PEMPRO polar alignment

maikner@...

I am setting up my new AP 1600 and having problem with polar align with PemPro. In step 5, the Measure Azimuth Error, trouble finding a star and never coming up with the error measurement. I did try the slew scope button to move a to a new field and did not solve the problem. Any suggestion?? 

Thank you for your help.

Ray Gralak

I am setting up my new AP 1600 and having problem with polar align with PemPro. In step 5, the Measure Azimuth
Error, trouble finding a star and never coming up with the error measurement. I did try the slew scope button to move a
to a new field and did not solve the problem. Any suggestion??
Does your camera have sensitivity and capture enough sky area to produce an image with one or more stars?

Stars are selected based on the minimum and maximum brightness that you have defined on step 2 of the wizard. If that range isn't within the brightness of stars in the image, then PEMPro cannot select a star.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of maikner via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 2:17 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Problem with PEMPRO polar alignment

I am setting up my new AP 1600 and having problem with polar align with PemPro. In step 5, the Measure Azimuth
Error, trouble finding a star and never coming up with the error measurement. I did try the slew scope button to move a
to a new field and did not solve the problem. Any suggestion??

Thank you for your help.

Joe Zeglinski

Hi,

I get PEMPRO’s sometimes confusing target star selection,  a lot as well. I was out there last night for very many hours just to get a PEMPRO polar align on my AP-1200/CP4. There were times, when it showed “Finding Star”, then when it seemed to have found it, responding with  “ Adjusting period”, strangely, it then kept switching back to Finding Star, several times, until it finally locked onto something. I strongly suspect, without PemPro allowing a Dark frame to be included, it may be hitting on a vertical line of bad CCD sensor  pixels, and my camera has several. At times, I had to stop the AZ process, and click BACK, to reposition the scope to the original align Meridian starting point, before it kept searching into the far east/west horizon, with meaningless results, if any.

You should check the astro sky reports, to see if the smoke in the upper atmosphere has finally cleared up in your area. Several nights, earlier, when I initially ran polar alignment, the task was an extreme chore, really a waste of time. It was finally better here in Ontario after a few days, and the skies are now back to fairly normal. So, last night’s PEMPRO “Star Finding”  inconsistencies were somewhat shorter – but it does work,, just requires user patience.

Colder autumn nights will surely improve doing the alignment runs.
Joe Z.

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 5:16 AM

I am setting up my new AP 1600 and having problem with polar align with PemPro. In step 5, the Measure Azimuth Error, trouble finding a star and never coming up with the error measurement. I did try the slew scope button to move a to a new field and did not solve the problem. Any suggestion??

Thank you for your help.

Ray Gralak

Joe wrote:

I get PEMPRO’s sometimes confusing target star selection, a lot as well.
Joe, the process of finding a star in PEMPro's polar alignment wizard involves:

1) Taking a full-frame (or sub-frame) image, depending on what has been configured.
2) Selecting and identifying an appropriate star within the min/max brightness range.
3) After at least two sub-frames, both of which must fall in the min/max range, PEMPro will start to show on the graph.

So, PEMPro needs to do a large full/partial frame download first then two sub-frame samples before it can make an initial trend estimate and draw the trend line you see. That can take some time depending on camera download speed, and the exposure duration.

PEMPro should *never* select bad columns as there is an algorithm for the width/height of the star, which, if any dimension is exceeded, the star is rejected.

Also, stars cannot be single width pixels (i.e. hot pixels). They automatically get rejected.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe Zeglinski
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Problem with PEMPRO polar alignment

Hi,

I get PEMPRO’s sometimes confusing target star selection, a lot as well. I was out there last night for very
many hours just to get a PEMPRO polar align on my AP-1200/CP4. There were times, when it showed “Finding
Star”, then when it seemed to have found it, responding with “ Adjusting period”, strangely, it then kept switching
back to Finding Star, several times, until it finally locked onto something. I strongly suspect, without PemPro
allowing a Dark frame to be included, it may be hitting on a vertical line of bad CCD sensor pixels, and my
camera has several. At times, I had to stop the AZ process, and click BACK, to reposition the scope to the original
align Meridian starting point, before it kept searching into the far east/west horizon, with meaningless results, if
any.

You should check the astro sky reports, to see if the smoke in the upper atmosphere has finally cleared up in
your area. Several nights, earlier, when I initially ran polar alignment, the task was an extreme chore, really a
waste of time. It was finally better here in Ontario after a few days, and the skies are now back to fairly normal.
So, last night’s PEMPRO “Star Finding” inconsistencies were somewhat shorter – but it does work,, just requires
user patience.

Colder autumn nights will surely improve doing the alignment runs.
Joe Z.

Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 5:16 AM

I am setting up my new AP 1600 and having problem with polar align with PemPro. In step 5, the Measure
Azimuth Error, trouble finding a star and never coming up with the error measurement. I did try the slew scope
button to move a to a new field and did not solve the problem. Any suggestion??

Thank you for your help.

DaveB

I'm seeing the same issue, struggling tonight to get my new setup going. I'm using SGP as the camera (QSI583 is the real camera), and I can see a nice, bright, round star on SGP (it shows each image), but PemPRO will most often switch back to "finding star". I rarely am getting more than four or five data points plotted at a time before it switches back to "finding star" even though the star is visible on SGP.

Let me know if I can provide any data for debugging.

Ray Gralak

Hi Dave,

I am not sure why this is not obvious, but a bright round star is not a good choice because it is almost certainly saturated, which will cause centroiding to be inaccurate. PEMPro will reject stars that are too large.

You need to adjust the minimum/maximum brightness values to be reasonable for your camera. For a 16-bit camera you want to set the maximum brightness to about 1/2 the range, or about 30,000. Minimum should be set maybe at 5,000.

Also, people, please post your PEMPro questions to the CCDWare PEMPro forum. This forum is for Astro-Physics mounts!!

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of DaveB
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 7:37 PM

I'm seeing the same issue, struggling tonight to get my new setup going. I'm using SGP as the camera (QSI583 is
the real camera), and I can see a nice, bright, round star on SGP (it shows each image), but PemPRO will most
often switch back to "finding star". I rarely am getting more than four or five data points plotted at a time before it
switches back to "finding star" even though the star is visible on SGP.

Let me know if I can provide any data for debugging.

CurtisC

Interesting!  I didn't know PEMPro could select a star.  I've always used TSX to identify suitable mag 6-8 stars near the meridian and equator, then I do a go-to and plate-solve in CCD Commander. 

I learn something new every day!

Roland Christen

CCD Commander. 
Is there a simple stand-alone plate solve program that can be used by a casual imager who just wants to center an object (without all the other goodies that CCD Commander has)?

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm

Interesting!  I didn't know PEMPro could select a star.  I've always used TSX to identify suitable mag 6-8 stars near the meridian and equator, then I do a go-to and plate-solve in CCD Commander. 

Astro tortilla is about as simple as it gets

ASTAP is another one

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 1:24 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

CCD Commander. 
Is there a simple stand-alone plate solve program that can be used by a casual imager who just wants to center an object (without all the other goodies that CCD Commander has)?

Rolando

From: CurtisC via groups.io <calypte=verizon.net@groups.io>

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

ASTAP is another one
Thank you. Does it require any other software to work?

Roland

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm

ASTAP is another one

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 1:24 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

They plate solve standalone, 

If you need to sync the mount coordinates, you will also need a compatible imaging program to do that. (for example ASTAP lists CCDCiel, NINA, APT or SGP). The imaging program coordinates the plate solve and mount sync

APCC/APPM has a plate solve and sync function as well, which uses Pinpoint, SGP, maybe others (sorry, you probably already know this :) ) 

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Cheng-Yang Tan

And it'll be great if APCC/APPM eventually supports ASTAP. ASTAP is just a wickedly fast plate solver (and free).

cytan

On Monday, September 21, 2020, 07:30:03 PM CDT, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

If you need to sync the mount coordinates, you will also need a compatible imaging program to do that. (for example ASTAP lists CCDCiel, NINA, APT or SGP). The imaging program coordinates the plate solve and mount sync

APCC/APPM has a plate solve and sync function as well, which uses Pinpoint, SGP, maybe others (sorry, you probably already know this :) ) 

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

>>> They plate solve standalone, 

i should clarify, they all need you to do a separate download and install of a reference star database. THEN it's standalone :)

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Brian Valente via groups.io <bvalente=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

I have MaximDL that I always use for imaging. So, all I would need then is Astro tortilla? Nuttin' else?
Margarita maybe to go with it? Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

i should clarify, they all need you to do a separate download and install of a reference star database. THEN it's standalone :)
And what would you recommend for that?

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 7:40 pm

>>> They plate solve standalone, 

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Brian Valente via groups.io <bvalente=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

W Hilmo

If you use MaxIm, you should be able to download the GSC 1.1 catalog and solve directly from within MaxIm.  Once you’ve solved, you can both sync the mount to the solved coordinates and also calibrate the auto-center routine with the same solution.  Once you do that, you can very accurately center any object visible in the field just by right clicking on it and picking “point telescope here”.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:08 PM

I have MaximDL that I always use for imaging. So, all I would need then is Astro tortilla? Nuttin' else?

Rolando

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--

Brian 

Brian Valente

--

Brian 

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

Thaks for the suggestion. I haven't explored MaximDL fully, but this sounds like the easiest way.

What I'm really looking for is a quick way to determine the RA/Dec error at various parts of the sky for testing purposes. I have already used MaximDL with the “point telescope here” feature, but I don't see any way to determine the error in RA/Dec for the star field that is imaged. I need to know what is the RA/Dec of the center of the image for my data collection purposes while testing the mounts in the observatory under real life conditions (testing polar scope accuracy, drift align accuracy, orthogonality etc).

But it could also come in handy for quick setups for someone who will be imaging without going thru elaborate polar alignment.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 9:14 pm

If you use MaxIm, you should be able to download the GSC 1.1 catalog and solve directly from within MaxIm.  Once you’ve solved, you can both sync the mount to the solved coordinates and also calibrate the auto-center routine with the same solution.  Once you do that, you can very accurately center any object visible in the field just by right clicking on it and picking “point telescope here”.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 7:08 PM

Rolando

ASTAP is another one

Roland

ASTAP is another one

CCD Commander. 

Rolando

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Worsel

Roland

I use Astrotortilla (AT), which is essentially a Graphical User Interface in Windows to a local version of astrometry.net.

You can download AT at https://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/home/Home/

Tutorials at https://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/search/?q=tutorials

I am not a part of the AT team, but I wrote the tutorials several years ago; hence may be somewhat outdated for newer versions of Windows, but are probably OK.

AT installs index files as part of the overall process.

The standard graphical output lists the target RA/Dec, the actual RA/Dec of the center of solved image and the vector error.  Also, FOV, image orientation.

It also works great for precise pointing with an ASCOM mount and any of the listed imaging packages shown on the Home page above.  I use Backyard EOS, but Maxim DL should be fine.  You can slew to the vicinity of a target, then let AT take an image, plate-solve, repoint the mount, and repeat until within whatever tolerance you want down to 0.1'.   WIth the APPM pointing model running on my 1100, precise centering rarely takes more than2 iterations of 10-15s each.

As you know, AT is also available to plate-solve for APPM Models with SGP, DC-3 PinPoint, and TheSkyX.

I have used ASTAP as well.  It is fast, but I am so used to the AT interface that I have stuck with it.  A few seconds quicker is not meaningful to me.

Bryan

Roland Christen

Thanks. Will check it out.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Roland

I use Astrotortilla (AT), which is essentially a Graphical User Interface in Windows to a local version of astrometry.net.

Tutorials at https://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/discussion/search/?q=tutorials

I am not a part of the AT team, but I wrote the tutorials several years ago; hence may be somewhat outdated for newer versions of Windows, but are probably OK.

The standard graphical output lists the target RA/Dec, the actual RA/Dec of the center of solved image and the vector error.  Also, FOV, image orientation.

It also works great for precise pointing with an ASCOM mount and any of the listed imaging packages shown on the Home page above.  I use Backyard EOS, but Maxim DL should be fine.  You can slew to the vicinity of a target, then let AT take an image, plate-solve, repoint the mount, and repeat until within whatever tolerance you want down to 0.1'.   WIth the APPM pointing model running on my 1100, precise centering rarely takes more than2 iterations of 10-15s each.

As you know, AT is also available to plate-solve for APPM Models with SGP, DC-3 PinPoint, and TheSkyX.

I have used ASTAP as well.  It is fast, but I am so used to the AT interface that I have stuck with it.  A few seconds quicker is not meaningful to me.

Bryan

roland

i have maxim DL 6 which has astrometry built in (as noted earlier). 

It's under analyze menu. if you have that in version 5, that would probably be the easiest path for you:

image.png

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 8:01 PM uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks. Will check it out.

Rolando

From: Worsel via groups.io <bryancashion=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Roland

Bryan

--
Brian 

Brian Valente