Hydrogen clouds of the Bubble Nebula

Mike Dodd

On 9/9/2020 1:19 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io wrote:
Nothing says that you have to do 1 hour exposures.
I don't want to spend an hour on a single image that a passing satellite ruins in an instant. I too have made long exposures for testing, especially when I was tracking-down flexure), but my for-real imaging uses 10-minute subs.

My 160 refractor can take some temp changes
without changing focus. If your scope is more finicky, then take shorter
exposures and stack 'em.
I bought a temperature sensor for my Feather Touch focuser, and now FocusMax keeps the scope close to focus as temperature changes. I tell ACP to focus every 40 minutes, so I get a refocus every four subs. Probably could extend that to 60 minutes or more, now that I have the temperature compensation running.

FWIW, here's my latest image: <http://astronomy.mdodd.com/nebulae-02.html> Ten-minute subs under a bright waning Moon with Ha and Oiii filters and a one-shot color camera. On Monday night I managed to get 1.8 hours of full color before the moonlight got too bright.

Narrowband is great for imaging under a bright Moon! And it does a good job with a OSC camera.

--- Mike

Richard Hennig

Mike, I agree that satellite’s or planes are more likely to show up in long sub-exposures. However, shouldn’t these trails go away when you stack your image using the median of each pixel or sigma-clipping? Those methods require that you have at least a few sub-exposures to stack. A bigger issue for long sub-exposures could be the risk of bumping the mount, gusts of wind, poor tracking that ruin the overall sub-exposure, which stacking cannot easily fix.

Cheers,
Richard

On Sep 9, 2020, at 1:39 PM, Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:

[...]

CurtisC <calypte@...>

My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Roland Christen

Yes, I actually haven't seen one airplane in the 4 nights that I have imaged. The Ohare flights come right over the observatory and i used to get quite a few planes thru my images. So when things settle down, I probably will go back to 10 minute shots.
Smile

My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Reading this thread with lots of interest. Can anything like this be accomplished with an AP1100 without encoders?

On 9/9/2020 2:59 PM, Richard Hennig wrote:
Mike, I agree that satellite’s or planes are more likely to show up
in long sub-exposures. However, shouldn’t these trails go away when
you stack your image using the median of each pixel or
sigma-clipping? Those methods require that you have at least a few
sub-exposures to stack.
Possibly, but the real issue is, you need more than a few exposures to get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Signal increases directly with the number of exposures, while noise, being random, increases as the SQUARE ROOT of the number of exposures.

The more exposures, the better. and hour-long exposures limit how many you can acquire.

--- Mike

CurtisC <calypte@...>

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 07:27 PM, Mike Dodd wrote:
The more exposures, the better. and hour-long exposures limit how many you can acquire.
Which is why I haven't tried 1 hr subs.

Roland Christen

Certainly, why not. The 1100 non-encoder mount can certainly be slow guided (bump guided with modeling) for hours at a time.

My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Roland Christen

I think you have that backwards. Smile

On 9/9/2020 2:59 PM, Richard Hennig wrote:
> Mike, I agree that satellite’s or planes are more likely to show up
> in long sub-exposures. However, shouldn’t these trails go away when
> you stack your image using the median of each pixel or
> sigma-clipping? Those methods require that you have at least a few
> sub-exposures to stack.

Possibly, but the real issue is, you need more than a few exposures to
get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Signal increases directly with the
number of exposures, while noise, being random, increases as the SQUARE
ROOT of the number of exposures.

The more exposures, the better. and hour-long exposures limit how many
you can acquire.

--- Mike

Mike Dodd

Who has which backwards?

--- Mike

On 9/9/2020 9:17 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io wrote:
I think you have that backwards. Smile

On 9/9/2020 2:59 PM, Richard Hennig wrote:
> Mike, I agree that satellite’s or planes are more likely to show up
> in long sub-exposures. However, shouldn’t these trails go away when
> you stack your image using the median of each pixel or
> sigma-clipping? Those methods require that you have at least a few
> sub-exposures to stack.

Possibly, but the real issue is, you need more than a few exposures to
get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Signal increases directly with the
number of exposures, while noise, being random, increases as the SQUARE
ROOT of the number of exposures.

The more exposures, the better. and hour-long exposures limit how many
you can acquire.

--- Mike

Bill Long

That is backwards. 🙂

On 9/9/2020 2:59 PM, Richard Hennig wrote:
> Mike, I agree that satellite’s or planes are more likely to show up
> in long sub-exposures. However, shouldn’t these trails go away when
> you stack your image using the median of each pixel or
> sigma-clipping? Those methods require that you have at least a few
> sub-exposures to stack.

Possibly, but the real issue is, you need more than a few exposures to
get a good signal-to-noise ratio. Signal increases directly with the
number of exposures, while noise, being random, increases as the SQUARE
ROOT of the number of exposures.

The more exposures, the better. and hour-long exposures limit how many
you can acquire.

--- Mike

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

I figured as much, but can it be done with SGP and PHD.

From: CurtisC via groups.io <
calypte@...>
My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Roland Christen

But imaging at the full f/10 of the EdgeHD11 I still have some guiding issues.
Make sure to use an off-axis guider and not a separate guide scope. OAG is the only way to guide with an F10 SCT.

From: CurtisC via groups.io <
calypte@...>
My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Indeed. I am using an OAG. I get about 0.5 to 1.0 RMS while guiding with 5 sec exposures. Just wondering if I could do better. And yes, I know I shouldn’t just fret about the numbers as it the final image that counts.

From: CurtisC via groups.io <
calypte@...>
My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Bill Long

Get APCC Pro. I should have added that I used APPM models along with guiding to take those images. It is well worth the money.

I took this with the Stowaway & 1100 combo completely unguided with APCC Pro model and the AE kit -- although that part is not necessary.

From: CurtisC via groups.io <
calypte@...>
My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Roland Christen

SCTs have their own challenges. Large apertures are more affected by poor seeing than small. On windless nights when humidity is high and the air is still and thick, you might be surprised in that your guiding will settle down to a much smaller RMS error.

From: CurtisC via groups.io <
calypte@...>
My observatory is under the flight path from L.A.-area airports to the southern states (AZ, TX, FL).  With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, there's been very little air traffic.  It won't always be that way, but this would be the time to try 1 hr subs, as soon as we get rid of the smoke.  Rolando probably benefits from the lack of air traffic from O'Hare & Midway.

Roland Christen

There you go again embarrassing the rest of us mortals!

From: CurtisC via groups.io <
calypte@...>