From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Ram Viswanathan <ramviswanathan@...>
Sent: Friday, September 4, 2020 3:18 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] AP1100 vs mach2 decision #Mach2GTO #Absolute_Encoders

In terms of capacity, is there a significant difference between these mounts?
The 1100 seems very slightly heavier but can be separated easily into 2 parts. On paper, it appears to have much greater weight bearing capacity.

What am I missing?

Roland Christen

On paper and in the real world, yes the 1100 has greater weight capacity. The reason is that the 2 gearwheels are larger on the 1100. That is the primary thing that determines how much scope you can put on a mount.

Gearwheel size is the single most important thing that determines a mount's capacity. The thickness of the base is the next important thing.

The pier or tripod that you put the mount on also needs to be robust. For the pier/tripod the important thing is not so much the weight rating, since most of them could hold up a Sumo wrestler, the important thing is how resistant it is to a twisting motion.

In terms of capacity, is there a significant difference between these mounts?
The 1100 seems very slightly heavier but can be separated easily into 2 parts. On paper, it appears to have much greater weight bearing capacity.
What am I missing?

Suvowner

What is the difference in wait time for the 1100 vs the mach2 ?

Karen Christen

Hello,

The Mach2GTO and the 1100GTO are both in production at present, and each has a notification list.  We do not know how many people on the notification lists will actually purchase a mount, therefore it’s a challenge to estimate wait times for either.  In general I would venture to say the wait will be shorter for the 1100GTO.  I’m sorry this is not more definitive.  If you have an interest, it does not hurt to add your name to the lists via the Notify Me button on each product – it costs nothing.  When we get to your name on the list you can decide whether you’d like to purchase or pass.  Thank you for your interest.

Karen C

AP

What is the difference in wait time for the 1100 vs the mach2 ?

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics