Hand controller cables are cracking open #Keypad

coblr

I have a Mach1GTO, probably about 10 years old now, I'm the second owner for about 7 years now. The hand controller cable is cracking and splitting open for some reason. I'm looking for advice on what to do. From the hand controller:
S/N: 2806GTO
P/N: 111844

It's happening near both ends, and a little on the first couple of coils. It gets worse whenever they get any kind of use. Seems almost like the plastic is degrading and cracking away. The cables also have sort of a residue on the inside of the coils, again, like the plastic is degrading or something. The outside of the coil is shiny and new, the inside is matte (see photo below). They've had this residue for a while but now are starting to crack open so now it's an issue.

The mount/cables are usually in its Pelican case, never outside more than 36 hours and always wiped down with a dry cloth before storage. Never have they rubbed on anything sharp, been bent excessively, cleaned with chemicals or otherwise mistreated. The cables are never in direct sun for very long if at all. The power and motor cables are fine. They seem to be made of more durable material.

Do I need to send in? Is there a replacement available? I'm really hoping to not have to buy another hand controller for just the cable. The hand controller works fine aside from this arguably cosmetic issue.

Thanks for your help.

Roland Christen

AP sells new cables that you can install yourself.

[...]

Chanan Greenberg

you can open the controller to see if it has a white or blue connector - call AP tell them your controller type and which connector is inside and they will send you a replacement cable which is not expensive.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 4:02 PM <hydrogia@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Sir.

I could only find the extension cable (CABKEY--), but I managed to take apart my controller and take a photo of what I'm looking for.

I've included here mostly so that I can reference in my contact request on the AP site. I'm really happy this just plugs in, kudos on the fantastic work with these things!

Karen Christen

Hello Hydrogia,

The part you want is E0190CABLE-F (with the white connector like yours); price is $75.  This item is not on our website, but I just went to look and we have them in stock.  Please call our office (815.282.1513) after 9am CDT time tomorrow and Daleen or Paige would be happy to help you.

Karen C

AP

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

coblr

Thank you.

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Does the cable cover feel brittle. The shiny appearance of the cable suggests to me that the cover material may have degraded. This can occur due to excessive heat or cold, or exposure to some chemicals. Any kind of oxidizing agents, or silicone based oils can be especially bad. It is also possible that the batch of cable cover compound (likely PVC or polyurethane) did not contain enough antioxidant.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Peter Bresler

Same thing happened to mine. They really need to get a better supplier of that cable. Actually first I stripped off all the old covering and re-wrapped it with electrical tape, saved up, and spent the $80.00 for a new cable.

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

I wonder if maybe they have already switched to a different supplier. The cable on my keypad (purchased in 2017) has a matte finish and is very flexible. When did you buy your controller ?

Unfortunately, most electronic components today are manufactured in China, and in my experience their quality is very inconsistent. You will generally get more consistent quality for components coming from Korea, Japan, and sometimes Tiawan, but in many cases the only option is China.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Roland Christen

We don't buy the cable, it comes with the keypad which we buy from our US manufacturer. We don't know or have control of where they purchase the individual parts. However, i do believe that the new cables are more robust than those of 20 years ago.