Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

I have an AP 1100GTO AE. I have done a 280 pt pointing model. Even with that I can't get even a 2 min sub without star elongation.

So, I'm going to recheck my polar alignment to make sure thats dialed in. But what about drift alignment? How do you go about it? Is there any good sources on this for AP mounts and PEMPro - or other software?

Aside from the above - is there something else I need to do to get at least a 5 min unguided sub?

Hi Tony

AP produced a document on DEC and RA Drift Alignment

This is the document I saved off from them.

I think it's also available on their website

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 9:13 AM Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...> wrote:
I have an AP 1100GTO AE. I have done a 280 pt pointing model. Even with that I can't get even a 2 min sub without star elongation.

So, I'm going to recheck my polar alignment to make sure thats dialed in. But what about drift alignment? How do you go about it? Is there any good sources on this for AP mounts and PEMPro - or other software?

Aside from the above - is there something else I need to do to get at least a 5 min unguided sub?

--
Brian 

Brian Valente

Dean Jacobsen

PHD2 has a good drift alignment tool.  PHD2 is free.

SharpCap has a great polar alignment tool.  I use this tool every session to dial in my polar alignment.  The cost for the “pro” version which has the tool was about $12.  You could use that before you do anything else just to get a good idea of your actual polar alignment.

It is my understanding from posts by Roland and Ray that polar alignment is not that critical when creating models and that APCC/APPM takes polar alignment induced drift into account when calculating the model.  Perhaps Ray or Roland could remind us of what is considered good enough.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

Can you provide more details about your setup? That is what kind of telescope, camera, image scale, etc.?

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Benjamin
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 9:14 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

I have an AP 1100GTO AE. I have done a 280 pt pointing model. Even with that I can't get even a 2 min sub without
star elongation.

So, I'm going to recheck my polar alignment to make sure thats dialed in. But what about drift alignment? How do
you go about it? Is there any good sources on this for AP mounts and PEMPro - or other software?

Roland Christen

Before you go down a bunch of blind alleys, check your RA and Dec drift rates using a guider program like PHD2 or MaximDL. Bring up a guider graph of the two axes, set the exposures to 2 - 3 seconds and turn off the guide corrections to the mount so that you see only the axis drift rates. Do that first before you do anything else, so that you get a fundamental set of drift curves.

If you get straight line drift trends in both axes, then you should be able to model and get a good tracking rate for at least 10 minutes.
If your RA line is not straight, but wanders back and forth (showing periodic error), then you have probably inadvertently turned your encoders off, so they are not really correcting the mount's tracking rate.

Rolando
P.S. never turn off the encoders on an encoder mount.

Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2020 11:13 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

Roland Christen

Most likely is that the encoders are turned off.

Next possibility is that there may be some telescope flexing or mirror shifting that cannot be modeled because it's not repeatable enough.

Third possibility is that he may have a very old version of APCC Pro - maybe needs to download the latest version.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2020 11:59 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Drift Alignment To Help With Unguided Images

PHD2 has a good drift alignment tool.  PHD2 is free.

SharpCap has a great polar alignment tool.  I use this tool every session to dial in my polar alignment.  The cost for the “pro” version which has the tool was about $12.  You could use that before you do anything else just to get a good idea of your actual polar alignment.

It is my understanding from posts by Roland and Ray that polar alignment is not that critical when creating models and that APCC/APPM takes polar alignment induced drift into account when calculating the model.  Perhaps Ray or Roland could remind us of what is considered good enough.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 

Hi,

Thanks all for the input.

The scope I am currently using is a C11 Edge (the mirror is "locked down" - but who knows??). Image scale is .44 with the ML16200. Hopefully will upgrade to a Planewave 12.5 in the near future and kiss possible mirror shift goodbye :)

Pretty sure the encoders were on - but will double check tonight. I also have tracking and pointing corrections on in APPM.

The only message I've noted of late is that my CP4 firmware needs to be updated?

Tony

Roland Christen

"Pretty sure" will only be confirmed if you do what i suggested - do a guider graph for 10 - 12 minutes with guide pulses turned off. See what your guide graph looks like, maybe even post a screen shot so we have something to work with.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi,

The scope I am currently using is a C11 Edge (the mirror is "locked down" - but who knows??). Image scale is .44 with the ML16200. Hopefully will upgrade to a Planewave 12.5 in the near future and kiss possible mirror shift goodbye :)

Pretty sure the encoders were on - but will double check tonight. I also have tracking and pointing corrections on in APPM.

The only message I've noted of late is that my CP4 firmware needs to be updated?

Tony

Will do, tonight hopefully.

It says I need to contact AP to get the CP4 firmware updated? Might this play into my issue?

Tony

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io
Sent: August 29, 2020 11:08 AM

"Pretty sure" will only be confirmed if you do what i suggested - do a guider graph for 10 - 12 minutes with guide pulses turned off. See what your guide graph looks like, maybe even post a screen shot so we have something to work with.

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

Roland Christen

No, we have not changed the way the CP4 controllers interface with APCC Pro. However, there is a new version of APCC Pro that might be what you want to update.

If you are using a C14 for unguided, you may run into mirror shift issues that cannot be solved with modeling. I think trying to do unguided imaging with such a scope might be stretching things. First you have very long focal length, next you have an optical/mechanical system that is prone to differential flexure, and then you have possible mirror shifting, even if it's locked down. Reason for the shift is not because it tilts due to gravity, rather that the entire mirror slides sideways due to the clearance between the mirror's central hole and the shaft that it rides on. The mirror is quite heavy and slides around sideways because it is not glued down to the metal shaft that it sits on.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Aug 29, 2020 1:09 pm

It says I need to contact AP to get the CP4 firmware updated? Might this play into my issue?

Tony

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

Noted.

I want spend the time fiddling with this…will get that Planewave 12.5” J

Heres what my warning looks like for upgrading the CP4 firmware:

Sent: August 29, 2020 11:18 AM

No, we have not changed the way the CP4 controllers interface with APCC Pro. However, there is a new version of APCC Pro that might be what you want to update.

If you are using a C14 for unguided, you may run into mirror shift issues that cannot be solved with modeling. I think trying to do unguided imaging with such a scope might be stretching things. First you have very long focal length, next you have an optical/mechanical system that is prone to differential flexure, and then you have possible mirror shifting, even if it's locked down. Reason for the shift is not because it tilts due to gravity, rather that the entire mirror slides sideways due to the clearance between the mirror's central hole and the shaft that it rides on. The mirror is quite heavy and slides around sideways because it is not glued down to the metal shaft that it sits on.

Rolando

Tony

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

Bill Long

You can update the firmware from the AP website. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020, 11:20 AM

Noted.

Rolando

Tony

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

It says I need to contact AP to get the CP4 firmware updated?
Might this play into my issue?
If APCC is showing that message means you are not running the latest mount firmware. You can download it from the link below. You may need the password from the manual that came with your mount.

https://www.astro-physics.com/software-updates/

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Benjamin
Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:09 AM

Tony

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com> via
groups.io

"Pretty sure" will only be confirmed if you do what i suggested - do a guider graph for 10 - 12 minutes with guide
pulses turned off. See what your guide graph looks like, maybe even post a screen shot so we have something to
work with.

Rolando

Hi,

The scope I am currently using is a C11 Edge (the mirror is "locked down" - but who knows??). Image scale is .44
with the ML16200. Hopefully will upgrade to a Planewave 12.5 in the near future and kiss possible mirror shift
goodbye :)

Pretty sure the encoders were on - but will double check tonight. I also have tracking and pointing corrections on in
APPM.

Tony

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

From the screenshot, your firmware is definitely out of date. You are running P01-11 and should upgrade to P01-14. That probably is not the problem, but it doesn't hurt to have the latest firmware.

As Roland said, using an SCT for unguided imaging at that image scale is going to be challenging because of random shifts in the positioning of the mirror. Those shifts can happen when creating a model that will pollute the model. You can check for this by using APPM to do a 5x verify run using your model. If there is randomness in the setup, the 5x verify results would show that.

-Ray Gralak

Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:20 AM

Noted.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com> via
groups.io

No, we have not changed the way the CP4 controllers interface with APCC Pro. However, there is a new version of
APCC Pro that might be what you want to update.

If you are using a C14 for unguided, you may run into mirror shift issues that cannot be solved with modeling. I think
trying to do unguided imaging with such a scope might be stretching things. First you have very long focal length,
next you have an optical/mechanical system that is prone to differential flexure, and then you have possible mirror
shifting, even if it's locked down. Reason for the shift is not because it tilts due to gravity, rather that the entire mirror
slides sideways due to the clearance between the mirror's central hole and the shaft that it rides on. The mirror is
quite heavy and slides around sideways because it is not glued down to the metal shaft that it sits on.

Rolando

Tony

groups.io

"Pretty sure" will only be confirmed if you do what i suggested - do a guider graph for 10 - 12 minutes with guide
pulses turned off. See what your guide graph looks like, maybe even post a screen shot so we have something to
work with.

Rolando

Hi,

The scope I am currently using is a C11 Edge (the mirror is "locked down" - but who knows??). Image scale is .44
with the ML16200. Hopefully will upgrade to a Planewave 12.5 in the near future and kiss possible mirror shift
goodbye :)

Pretty sure the encoders were on - but will double check tonight. I also have tracking and pointing corrections on in
APPM.

Tony

W Hilmo

I image with an 8" EdgeHD 800 and I get about the same performance that Tony does unless I guide with an OAG.

The thing about the EdgeHD scopes is that they do not have mirror locks at all.  They have mirror clutches that consist of two flexible rods installed on the back of the scope at 120 degrees from the focus knob.  This provides some support for the mirror to keep it from tilting (although since the rods are flexible, they can and do bend if the focus knob is turned while they are set).  But they do nothing at all to prevent the lateral movement that Roland describes.

The end result is that if I go either unguided or with a guide scope, I get elongated stars.  They are clearly noticeable on two minute exposures at 0.5 arc seconds per pixel.  As such, my EdgeHD requires either an OAG on ONAG any must be guided.

And this is on my AP1600 with absolute encoders and a pointing/tracking model built through APPM.

Sent: 8/29/20 11:18 AM
To: "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Rolando

Tony

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

Thanks for the input W.Hilmo! Tiny font btw J

I have gone ahead and ordered a Planewave 12.5” and will sell the C11. Drastic measures, but will put an end to mirror flop!! J Looking forward to the cloudy skies!

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of W Hilmo
Sent: August 30, 2020 7:48 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io; main@ap-gto.groups.io

I image with an 8" EdgeHD 800 and I get about the same performance that Tony does unless I guide with an OAG.

The thing about the EdgeHD scopes is that they do not have mirror locks at all.  They have mirror clutches that consist of two flexible rods installed on the back of the scope at 120 degrees from the focus knob.  This provides some support for the mirror to keep it from tilting (although since the rods are flexible, they can and do bend if the focus knob is turned while they are set).  But they do nothing at all to prevent the lateral movement that Roland describes.

The end result is that if I go either unguided or with a guide scope, I get elongated stars.  They are clearly noticeable on two minute exposures at 0.5 arc seconds per pixel.  As such, my EdgeHD requires either an OAG on ONAG any must be guided.

And this is on my AP1600 with absolute encoders and a pointing/tracking model built through APPM.

Rolando

Tony

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

Bill Long

Love the CDK scopes (or in my case iDK) they are a joy to use and produce excellent data. Congrats! The 1100 will enjoy it too. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 3:51 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Thanks for the input W.Hilmo! Tiny font btw J

I have gone ahead and ordered a Planewave 12.5” and will sell the C11. Drastic measures, but will put an end to mirror flop!! J Looking forward to the cloudy skies!

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of W Hilmo
Sent: August 30, 2020 7:48 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io; main@ap-gto.groups.io

Rolando

Tony

Rolando

Hi,

Tony

CurtisC

I have gone ahead and ordered a Planewave 12.5” and will sell the C11.

Did you consider the EdgeHD 1100?

Sorry, should have typed the extra. It is a C11 Edge HD that I am replacing J

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of CurtisC via groups.io
Sent: August 31, 2020 12:33 AM

I have gone ahead and ordered a Planewave 12.5” and will sell the C11.

Did you consider the EdgeHD 1100?

Dominique Durand

Edited

Hi Tony,
With a C11HD obviously it's a little less simple. I am also in this perspective to be able to use my C11HD on my Mach2 with exposures of more than 1 'and everything depends on the possibility of making a good model.After trial and error, I ended up first improving my MES with Sharpcap, then I noticed in the models made that the orthogonality in DEC was really not good. Either Flip Mirror, or something else like tilt on the camera. As I have a motorized PO FT I have adjusted the MAP as well as possible with the mirror adjustment then blocked without forcing it and also modified the camera fixation. Yesterday evening the 29 point model then the 92 model, despite clouds coming to disturb the resolution of 10 points on the west, indicated better measurements in terms of orthogonality. I then made a test on a star low on the horizon (Near Jupiter) and near the meridian. After 5 'it was still positioned on the center of the crosshair (200%) on the image provided on Sharpcap. Then 6 'exposures on NGC6888 turned out to be quite successful.There are still areas for improvement to get a smoother tracking correction, but I think I can say that there is a possibility of modeling with a C11 and doing poses greater than 3 '.
The link with my post on the subject.
https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/topic/mach2_orthogonality/76392947?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,20,76392947