Pillars of M16

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

The recent M16 image that Ignacio posted presented me with a challenge to see what could be achieved here in Northern Illinois, using a 160EDF refractor. Challenge indeed it was. The object is only about 30 degrees above the horizon, directly over a huge mall and auto dealer complex, the Moon was quite nearby. Seeing down near the horizon is quite iffy in the best of nights. Plus, we still have smoke in the skies from out west. temperature was in the mid-80's so my camera would not cool down to below about -15C.

Even though i was shooting thru a narrowband H-a filter, I didn't know what to expect. On top of that I decided to go for broke and do 1 hour subs, two of them were combined in the images I just posted:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/7bqswe/0/
Full Res:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/7bqswe/0/?real=&mod=

While you may think this was insane, before you open the links, take a look at my sky conditions in the photo below:

Cheng-Yang Tan

Wow! There's hope for me yet :)

cytan

On Thursday, August 27, 2020, 01:17:01 PM CDT, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:

Hi Astronuts,

The recent M16 image that Ignacio posted presented me with a challenge to see what could be achieved here in Northern Illinois, using a 160EDF refractor. Challenge indeed it was. The object is only about 30 degrees above the horizon, directly over a huge mall and auto dealer complex, the Moon was quite nearby. Seeing down near the horizon is quite iffy in the best of nights. Plus, we still have smoke in the skies from out west. temperature was in the mid-80's so my camera would not cool down to below about -15C.

Even though i was shooting thru a narrowband H-a filter, I didn't know what to expect. On top of that I decided to go for broke and do 1 hour subs, two of them were combined in the images I just posted:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/7bqswe/0/
Full Res:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/7bqswe/0/?real=&mod=

While you may think this was insane, before you open the links, take a look at my sky conditions in the photo below:

Terri Zittritsch

I always check out your images Roland, which are always fabulous.    I hear from Liam that you've purchased a CMOS camera as well, an ASI1600 (I think mono).   I've only used CMOS and am interested in what your opinion is compared to your CCD.    The camera you use is one of the premium CCD cameras out there, and from your shots, either you're amazingly talented in processing or your data is pretty clean.    Probably a lot of both I suspect given your experience.    I'd love to have you compare and contrast CCD and CMOS.    There was a recent article in sky and telescope on this topic (i forget what month) when testing out a large mono CMOS..  I didn't think it was very informed when talking about things such as resolution, since most of us who started with DSLRs have had small pixels for quite a long time (it's not new by a long shot).    Although they did mention the noise differences.

Terri

Roland Christen

Liam purchased the Cmos camera to use with his RASA 8" scope. I have not had a chance to use it myself on my scopes. From what I've seen, it is quite sensitive and has higher resolution due to the smaller pixels. From the limited amount of imaging we did one night with the RASA 8 scope, it seems that this combination should produce some great images, but it does not do well here under hazy and heavily light polluted skies. When stray light from the sky impinges on the scope aperture, it illuminates the insides of the scope, including the mirror, back and side walls. The light reflects off those surfaces and bathes the Cmos camera with extraneous light which greatly increases the background noise level. A scope like that with this sensitive Cmos camera really needs a pristine dark sky to work properly.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Aug 28, 2020 7:09 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Pillars of M16

I always check out your images Roland, which are always fabulous.    I hear from Liam that you've purchased a CMOS camera as well, an ASI1600 (I think mono).   I've only used CMOS and am interested in what your opinion is compared to your CCD.    The camera you use is one of the premium CCD cameras out there, and from your shots, either you're amazingly talented in processing or your data is pretty clean.    Probably a lot of both I suspect given your experience.    I'd love to have you compare and contrast CCD and CMOS.    There was a recent article in sky and telescope on this topic (i forget what month) when testing out a large mono CMOS..  I didn't think it was very informed when talking about things such as resolution, since most of us who started with DSLRs have had small pixels for quite a long time (it's not new by a long shot).    Although they did mention the noise differences.

Terri

Terri Zittritsch

Thanks Roland, Again, your shots are great.    The Rasa is a special scope.  One of our club members purchased an 11" rasa, and he gets a lot of signal pretty quick at f2.2.    He just purchased one of those 60M pixel CMOS sensors to use with it.    

Another of our club members said he's being sent a Stowaway soon, I guess his number came up, and he's incredibly excited.      

Terri

M Hambrick

Great image as usual Roland

What in your opinion is the most critical factor in being able to achieve such crisp, detailed images ? I have always assumed that focusing, seeing, and guiding are the top three. Which of these three is most critical, and are there other factors to consider ?

Roland Christen

I have always assumed that focusing, seeing, and guiding are the top three.
Yes, yes and yes.

Rolando

Sent: Sun, Aug 30, 2020 8:35 am

Great image as usual Roland

What in your opinion is the most critical factor in being able to achieve such crisp, detailed images ? I have always assumed that focusing, seeing, and guiding are the top three. Which of these three is most critical, and are there other factors to consider ?

CurtisC

Rolando: The Mach2GTO page says "Click the Notify Me button below if you are interested in this mount."  

What "Notify Me" button?  

Karen Christen

You have to allow cookies in order to see the Notify Me button.  This is because in order to notify you, we must collect some contact information, namely, your email address.  We cannot do that if you don’t allow cookies.  I hope this is helpful.

Karen C

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of CurtisC via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 12:29 PM

Rolando: The Mach2GTO page says "Click the Notify Me button below if you are interested in this mount."  

What "Notify Me" button?  

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

CurtisC

Edited

Hmm.  I don't know where to go from here.  Thanks.  What does a "notify me" button look like?

Karen Christen

Hello Curtis (?),

You may have to search for “how to allow cookies” for the web browser you’re using.  For example, I tend to use Chrome, so here’s a link to the instructions I found for turning cookies off/on for Chrome:  https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

This is what a Notify Me button looks like.  It’s located on the product main page, on the right below the price and options, above the information tabs.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of CurtisC via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 12:55 PM

[Edited Message Follows]

Hmm.  I don't know where to go from here.  Thanks.  What does a "notify me" button look like?

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

CurtisC

Thank you, Karen.  I noticed there was an "accept all cookies" button at the bottom of the page.  I think I'm set up now to receive notifications about the Mach2.  Roland has pretty much convinced me that it's a major upgrade from my Mach1.

John Jennings

Are these guided or unguided 1 hour images with APCC Pro and the Mach 2?

Roland Christen

Anything over 20 minutes would be guided. However, it is "nudge guided" with modeling running in the background. This is the most accurate way that allows the mount to move at a smooth custom rate and not chase the seeing.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Sep 9, 2020 10:12 am

Are these guided or unguided 1 hour images with APCC Pro and the Mach 2?