Pillars of M16

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

The recent M16 image that Ignacio posted presented me with a challenge to see what could be achieved here in Northern Illinois, using a 160EDF refractor. Challenge indeed it was. The object is only about 30 degrees above the horizon, directly over a huge mall and auto dealer complex, the Moon was quite nearby. Seeing down near the horizon is quite iffy in the best of nights. Plus, we still have smoke in the skies from out west. temperature was in the mid-80's so my camera would not cool down to below about -15C.

Even though i was shooting thru a narrowband H-a filter, I didn't know what to expect. On top of that I decided to go for broke and do 1 hour subs, two of them were combined in the images I just posted:

https://www.astrobin.com/full/7bqswe/0/
Full Res:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/7bqswe/0/?real=&mod=

While you may think this was insane, before you open the links, take a look at my sky conditions in the photo below:

Cheng-Yang Tan

Wow! There's hope for me yet :)

cytan

On Thursday, August 27, 2020, 01:17:01 PM CDT, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Terri Zittritsch

I always check out your images Roland, which are always fabulous.    I hear from Liam that you've purchased a CMOS camera as well, an ASI1600 (I think mono).   I've only used CMOS and am interested in what your opinion is compared to your CCD.    The camera you use is one of the premium CCD cameras out there, and from your shots, either you're amazingly talented in processing or your data is pretty clean.    Probably a lot of both I suspect given your experience.    I'd love to have you compare and contrast CCD and CMOS.    There was a recent article in sky and telescope on this topic (i forget what month) when testing out a large mono CMOS..  I didn't think it was very informed when talking about things such as resolution, since most of us who started with DSLRs have had small pixels for quite a long time (it's not new by a long shot).    Although they did mention the noise differences.

Terri

Roland Christen

Liam purchased the Cmos camera to use with his RASA 8" scope. I have not had a chance to use it myself on my scopes. From what I've seen, it is quite sensitive and has higher resolution due to the smaller pixels. From the limited amount of imaging we did one night with the RASA 8 scope, it seems that this combination should produce some great images, but it does not do well here under hazy and heavily light polluted skies. When stray light from the sky impinges on the scope aperture, it illuminates the insides of the scope, including the mirror, back and side walls. The light reflects off those surfaces and bathes the Cmos camera with extraneous light which greatly increases the background noise level. A scope like that with this sensitive Cmos camera really needs a pristine dark sky to work properly.