Spiderwebs in the sky

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

I enjoyed several nights of clear skies and good seeing, so I was able to image some deep sky with my 160EDF refractor, Mach2 mount and QSI CCD camera. I modeled 5 points along the object's path and did 19 exposures total, 10 minutes each. The 160 refractor is a handful, plus I had my 92mm Stowaway riding shotgun, but the mount handled everything beautifully.  just posted the image on AstroBin:

https://www.astrobin.com/59e7g1/

Rolando

For those of a technical bent, here is a screenshot of the RA and DEC path that the modeling produced over a period of about 1 hour. Two little blips on the RA trace was caused by me touching the focuser, refocusing the image:

dvjbaja

Interestingly, the MaximDL camera control window shows 515 of 600 sec.

Dean Jacobsen

Very nice image.

Was the modeling done with APCC/APPM or with the new keypad feature?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Terri Zittritsch

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 06:58 PM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
The 160 refractor is a handful, plus I had my 92mm Stowaway riding shotgun, but the mount handled everything beautifully.  just posted the image on AstroBin:
Roland, This is great!    Can you show a picture of your setup?  I'm wondering how you mount everything up to make this work.    Beautiful shot by the way.     I need to get to the veil this summer with narrowband as well.. I've purchased the Chroma 3nm filters because I couldn't get Astrodon in any predictable timeframe.. Chroma filters are made right here in Vermont!

I did 5 hours on SH2-155 last night in narrowband, lost my last hour due to the snafu I shared with mystery RA limit error.

Terri

M Hambrick

Great shot Roland

I also have some questions about your MaxIm DL settings:

Do you always image using the Find DSO setting ?

I think I read somewhere that the sub-frame box should not be checked when you are taking an actual image. I am not exactly why, but I see that yours is checked. Is this for the focus tweaking ?

You mentioned that you tweaked the focus during the imaging session. How do you know which direction to move it ? Is it reasonable to assume that as the OTA cools down it will always shrink, and therefore you would need to rack the focuser out ?

I can't tell if I am looking at it correctly, but it looks like you have the binning set at 4X4. Is that correct ?

Roland Christen

Yes, that's right. Each exposure was 600 seconds long. I took the screen shot during one of the exposures.

Interestingly, the MaximDL camera control window shows 515 of 600 sec.

Roland Christen

I used the simple keypad routine. However, if you are permanently set up I would recommend APCC-APPM. It comes with the mount. It can do a whole sky modeling run while you are having dinner.

Was the modeling done with APCC/APPM or with the new keypad feature?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Bill Long

+1 for ease of use.

It would be nice to get some expanded plate solve options for people that dont use SkyX, Pinpoint, or SGP. ASTAP or Planewave Platesolve2 would be good. I use SkyX for this, but it's the only reason why I have SkyX still. Everything else in my system uses ASTAP or PS2.

From:        "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-08-16 01:03 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

It looks like this:

Rolando, I am like Terry and would also like to see your setup. I would like to use my 105 Traveler piggybacked on my 160 Starfire but am using a 1200 GTO mount that I’m quite sure is capable of handling it all. Can you confirm this as well as show us your set up? Thank you, Max

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Another question: Is that a DOVE15 on top of the 160 rings ? I sure wish you still made those.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

CurtisC

Rolando: My vintage 2012 QSI started exhibiting this exact problem early this year (i.e., the herringbone pattern).  It briefly went away, but then it came back for good.  I had to send my camera to Atik/QSI in England for repair.  They replaced the mainboard.  The repair cost $652.99.

Roland Christen

Ouch!

I'm betting that there are electrolytic filter caps going bad. Maybe I'll try replacing them all.

Roland.

Rolando: My vintage 2012 QSI started exhibiting this exact problem early this year (i.e., the herringbone pattern).  It briefly went away, but then it came back for good.  I had to send my camera to Atik/QSI in England for repair.  They replaced the mainboard.  The repair cost $652.99.

Bill Long

Time to get that full frame CMOS.

I'm betting that there are electrolytic filter caps going bad. Maybe I'll try replacing them all.

Roland.

Rolando: My vintage 2012 QSI started exhibiting this exact problem early this year (i.e., the herringbone pattern).  It briefly went away, but then it came back for good.  I had to send my camera to Atik/QSI in England for repair.  They replaced the mainboard.  The repair cost $652.99.

Cheng-Yang Tan

Are CMOS cameras better than CCD? Aren't the wells a lot shallower than CCD's?

cytan