1200GTO Pointing Issues

carlburton2001

Hi All
I'm setting up my observatory with all the software.  My 1200GTO mount with CP4 is having pointing issues.  I saw that it was recommended that I select Unpark from position 4.  I tried that with no difference.  Is my keypad database corrupt?  Should I reload my database?

Thanks

Carl

Worsel

Carl

Please provide more info about 'pointing issues'.

For example,
How much is pointing off on the first star?
Does the error change after a sync?
Is the error repeatable?

It is difficult to diagnose 'issues'.

Bryan

carlburton2001

Edited

Hi Bryan
I'm guessing maybe 45 degrees or so to the East, nowhere near close.  Checked my timezone, set at 5(Eastern time).  I never could get mount to find a star past transit, but only stopped trying at 12:30 am.

Yes the error is repeating.   When I go to park 4 the ra looks to be in park 2 with counterweights down and dec correct.

When I synch, I use TheSky, the mount looks to be over correct object but when I slew ota always goes to west side of mount. If I try to use keypad to synch I get error in APCC about target error too far in ra to synch.

Thanks

Pete Mumbower

Hey Carl!

Hope you get this resolved quick, looking forward to see some images from you again. As for the problem, is all the mount/keypad firmware up to date?

Pete

carlburton2001

Hi Pete
Yes it's been awhile.   I'm really retired this time.  All software is up to date.
Thanks
Carl

Ray Gralak

Hi Carl,

Are you unparking from the AP hand controller or the driver/APCC? If you are planning to use Windows software, you should unpark via the driver/APCC.

Also, try unparking from Park 3 instead of Park 4. Park 3 has the scope pointing at the celestial pole and counterweight shaft pointing directly to the ground. If you are using APCC then power cycle the mount and let APCC initialize the mount.

BTW, the latest APCC Pro version is 1.8.4.1. The link is here:

http://www.apastrosoftware.com/apcc_download/APCC_Pro_Setup_1.8.4.1.exe

-Ray Gralak
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of PEMPro V3: https://www.ccdware.com
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of carlburton2001
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 9:56 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] 1200GTO Pointing Issues

Hi All
I'm setting up my observatory with all the software. My 1200GTO mount with CP4 is having pointing issues. I saw
that it was recommended that I select Unpark from position 4. I tried that with no difference. Is my keypad
database corrupt? Should I reload my database?

Thanks

Carl

carlburton2001

Hi Ray
I tried unparking from APCC.  When I chose unpark from position 4 I got a warning asking if I was sure sure about unparking from 4 because I risk running I to pier.  I hit OK then resume from last park went into window and greyed out.  I'll check my version.

Am I supposed to put the mount in park 3 when I select resume from park 3?  I normally use position 4.
Thanks

Roland Christen

Unpark from Present Position is more accurate.
In fact if you are permanently set up, put the keypad in Autoconnect YES and your unparking will be automatic and more accurate.

Rolando

Sent: Wed, Aug 12, 2020 11:56 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] 1200GTO Pointing Issues

Hi All
I'm setting up my observatory with all the software.  My 1200GTO mount with CP4 is having pointing issues.  I saw that it was recommended that I select Unpark from position 4.  I tried that with no difference.  Is my keypad database corrupt?  Should I reload my database?

Thanks

Carl

Peter Bresler

I replaced my Mach1 with a 1200 and have not really had any problems. I sync with SGP by centering a star selected with coordinates. My mount did get "lost" after I did some adjustments using the hand controller. I released the clutches, put it back in park 5, reinitialized, and all is ok. Goto's are very accurate.

Peter

carlburton2001

Hi Ray
I've done the update and can connect to mount.  I have changed to Aotoconnect=Yes from the keypad.  There a couple clear nights here in MI so hopefully I can get this ironed out.

Thanks Peter & everyone for the help.  Once I get the observatory straight it will be great to flip a switch and go.

Carl

Roland Christen

Remember also that your time, date and location must be correct in the keypad. If your first slew is off by 45 degrees it is most likely that one of these is wrong, probably the time, daylight savings etc.

Rolando

Sent: Thu, Aug 13, 2020 10:21 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1200GTO Pointing Issues

Hi Ray
I've done the update and can connect to mount.  I have changed to Aotoconnect=Yes from the keypad.  There a couple clear nights here in MI so hopefully I can get this ironed out.

Thanks Peter & everyone for the help.  Once I get the observatory straight it will be great to flip a switch and go.

Carl

carlburton2001

Hi Rolando
I'll make sure the time is correct.
Thanks

Roland Christen

Don't use Autostart YES until you get it to first work with Resume from Present Position and Autostart NO. Once it works and points correctly you can switch to YES and it will start automatically from any position that you left the scope in, even if you left it pointing to China.

Rolando

Sent: Thu, Aug 13, 2020 12:15 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] 1200GTO Pointing Issues

Hi Rolando
I'll make sure the time is correct.
Thanks