From: Seb@stro <sebastiendore1@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 11, 2020 8:52 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] #Mach2GTO Portability

Hi guys,

Just a few questions for the lucky owners of the freshly baked Mach2 and Stowaways (or similar size scope)

As far as portability is concerned, would you say it would be "comfortable" (as in "with a bit of reasonnable effort") to move it around (say 30-40 ft,- from the backyard to garage) with the Stowaway (plus cameras, guidescope, etc. (worth about 12-13 lbs) mounted + 10 lbs of C/W? I mean by hand, without tearing it down (except for the tripod).

I know that's an entirely subjective question but thought I'd asked anyway to see what people have to say.

I also know the Mach2 is spec'ed at 42lbs from AP's website but I could not find if the 10lbs counterweight bar is included in that spec, which would make the mount alone 32lbs and my setup at about 55 lbs, i.e. just at the edge of "moving comfort" to me, as I defined it above.

It'll help me decide if I'm going to pull trigger when AP contacts me (I'm on April 2019 list) or if I'm better getting a used Mach1 or Myt.

Thanks for your input and clear skies !

Sébastien

Rick Socarras

Sebastien,

I've had the Mach 2 now for a several months and I too was very worried about portability.   My old mount was a Losmandy G11 that would split into two sections and that made the mount very light and manageable.  I live in a big city and I do not have the option of a permanent mount.  I'm very happy with the portability of the Mach 2.   I find it very comfortable.   I cradle the mount like a baby with both arms close to my chest and then set it on the tripod.   The weight of the mount on my digital scale is 44 lbs 5 oz.  That's with the polemaster camera attached and a DOVEDV10 saddle plate.  That's it.  No counterweight bar or weights attached.

Would I buy again?  Yes.  Absolutely and without hesitation.  The mount becomes invisible.

Christopher Erickson

Taking several trips and packing the OTA and counterweights separate from the mount, yes, it is easily doable.

Another option might be a wheelie-bar.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 5:14 PM Rick Socarras <tgrick@...> wrote:
Sebastien,

I've had the Mach 2 now for a several months and I too was very worried about portability.   My old mount was a Losmandy G11 that would split into two sections and that made the mount very light and manageable.  I live in a big city and I do not have the option of a permanent mount.  I'm very happy with the portability of the Mach 2.   I find it very comfortable.   I cradle the mount like a baby with both arms close to my chest and then set it on the tripod.   The weight of the mount on my digital scale is 44 lbs 5 oz.  That's with the polemaster camera attached and a DOVEDV10 saddle plate.  That's it.  No counterweight bar or weights attached.

Would I buy again?  Yes.  Absolutely and without hesitation.  The mount becomes invisible.

Seb@stro

By these standards I’d say I’m somewhere in between, quarterback or Marlin fisherman, pick one...! ;-)

Sébastien

Le 11 août 2020 à 22:30, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> a écrit :

I would not move it with that much stuff on it, but Liam here could do so easily. He's more of a linebacker and I'm more of a fly fisherman.

[...]

Rick,

On the heavy side then... That’s what I was afraid of.

For my setup, that would mean 62lbs (42+10+10) of metal, let alone the scope and other A-P gear. Hum... I guess I’ll have to workout harder... ;)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sébastien

Le 11 août 2020 à 23:14, Rick Socarras <tgrick@...> a écrit :

Sebastien,

I've had the Mach 2 now for a several months and I too was very worried about portability.   My old mount was a Losmandy G11 that would split into two sections and that made the mount very light and manageable.  I live in a big city and I do not have the option of a permanent mount.  I'm very happy with the portability of the Mach 2.   I find it very comfortable.   I cradle the mount like a baby with both arms close to my chest and then set it on the tripod.   The weight of the mount on my digital scale is 44 lbs 5 oz.  That's with the polemaster camera attached and a DOVEDV10 saddle plate.  That's it.  No counterweight bar or weights attached.

Would I buy again?  Yes.  Absolutely and without hesitation.  The mount becomes invisible.

Bill Long

1100 breaks in parts for super easy portability. Another good option!