Delrin plugs

Michael Dolenga

Hello – I have a 900GTO mount bought new in 2011. I think the Delrin plugs have gotten compressed; I notice that when I am balancing my setup, they barely move. Probably too enthusiastic when tightening down the clutches.

I looked on the Astro-Physics site, but couldn’t find them. Does anyone know where to get a set of replacements?

Michael

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Joe Zeglinski

Michael,

    AP sells DELRIN Clutch plugs  as a kit – and I suggest getting spares  just in case you lose one, or have a problem fitting it in. However, You will need AP’s  simple but  special tool -  and fair warning,  it is still a bear to use successfully.

    Lesson I learned with those DELRIN clutch plugs – “Finger tight” knobs, may STILL  be too tight, so you get mushroomed plugs, very difficult to extract. Wouldn’t want to have to do that ever again, and really admire the AP staff,  if they have to do this repair.
Good luck.

Joe Z.

Hello – I have a 900GTO mount bought new in 2011. I think the Delrin plugs have gotten compressed; I notice that when I am balancing my setup, they barely move. Probably too enthusiastic when tightening down the clutches.

I looked on the Astro-Physics site, but couldn’t find them. Does anyone know where to get a set of replacements?

Michael

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

eja24601

Same thing happened to me this year with my AP1200GTO. On the DEC axis, specifically. I've been assured by the helpful folk at AP that precise balancing is not necessary.

Here's the link to the replacement kit:
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/clutch-plug-replacement.pdf

For now, I've decided to live with this, as I'm concerned that anything I do might cause more harm than good. I've been assured that if I really wanted it done, that I can ship the affected part to AP and they will be more than happy to perform the replacement. At cost, of course (unless this is part of warranty service and the mount is under warranty <G>; I can't speak for AP on that).

HTH,
Eric

Christopher Erickson

FWIW, Delrin doesn't deform easily under pressure. Teflon does.

IIRC, AP has kits to replace old Teflon plugs with Delrin.

If you have Delrin plugs, you are fine.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020, 9:05 AM eja24601 via groups.io <eja24601=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Same thing happened to me this year with my AP1200GTO. On the DEC axis, specifically. I've been assured by the helpful folk at AP that precise balancing is not necessary.

Here's the link to the replacement kit:
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/clutch-plug-replacement.pdf

For now, I've decided to live with this, as I'm concerned that anything I do might cause more harm than good. I've been assured that if I really wanted it done, that I can ship the affected part to AP and they will be more than happy to perform the replacement. At cost, of course (unless this is part of warranty service and the mount is under warranty <G>; I can't speak for AP on that).

HTH,
Eric

Michael Dolenga

I did replace the plugs a year or two ago when re-lubricating the mount. I'm not sure what they were made of, but the lack of free motion when the clutches are loose suggests they have deformed.

Michael

On Monday, August 10, 2020, 12:14:17 PM PDT, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Keith Olsen

When did AP start to use Delrin plugs?

Roland Christen

We have never used Teflon plugs. They have always been Delrin.
In all our newer mounts (Mach1, 1100, 1600) we do not use Delrin plugs. we have a completely different way of clutching, one that never wears out.

[...]

We have always used Delrin in the 900 and 1200 mounts. All other mounts use a different design.