IP address of an AP1600 ?

christian viladrich

Hi,

I am currently on a mission at Astroqueyras observatory (France). We have two AP1600 mounts up there.

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of the mounts (it is OK for the second one).

We have the serial number of the mount. But when we apply the procedure, there is no way to connect to this IP address.

Any idea of what can be going wrong ? Is there any way the scan the IP address to find the address of the mount ?

Thanks for your help.

Christian Viladrich

Technical Support Group / Astroqueyras

Hi Christian

have you tried using the search tool in APCC?

little magnifying glass next to the connection type

image.png

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of
the mounts (it is OK for the second one).
Hello Christian,

We have several ways to find the mount on our web page. I have posted them below. Try one of the "Find Mount" utilities and see if they work:

  • WiFi Poll for GTOCP4 and GTOCP5 Ethernet Application to find current IP addresses and other network information. It also can open the GTOCP4 or GTOCP5 webpage in IE. Requires AP V2 ASCOM Driver and a serial or USB connection to the control box. NOTE: We had removed the link to this .exe file earlier since it had caused a problem with firewalls and anti-virus programs. It is now back on the website as an encrypted ZIP file, and is in a restricted area of the website. Both the download and the zip-extraction will require the same password that you use for downloading Keypad firmware. Normal Windows extraction is fine. A purchased copy of WinZip is NOT required.
  • Default IP Address Calculator and Latitude/Longitude Coordinate Converter This link has two handy tools:
    ** IP Address Calculator - will take the CPx serial number and return the default IP address for the device. While the Wi-Fi poll and FindMounts look at your actual system and find devices, this only does a basic calculation without looking into your computer.
    ** Latitude/Longitude Coordinate Converter - Enter local coordinates in decimal degrees, and press Calculate Coordinates to get the Degree:Minute:Second format.
  • Find Mounts Java Applet to find current GTOCP4 IP addresses and other network information. Works for any computer - Windows, Mac or Linux running Java. Requires the Java Runtime Environment from Oracle (already found on many computers) This also was placed on the website as an encrypted ZIP file, and is in a restricted area of the website. Both the download and the zip-extraction will require the same password that you use for downloading Keypad firmware. Normal extraction is fine. A purchased copy of WinZip should NOT be required.

I am currently on a mission at Astroqueyras observatory (France). We
have two AP1600 mounts up there.

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of
the mounts (it is OK for the second one).

We have the serial number of the mount. But when we apply the procedure,
there is no way to connect to this IP address.

Any idea of what can be going wrong ? Is there any way the scan the IP
address to find the address of the mount ?

Thanks for your help.

Christian Viladrich

Technical Support Group / Astroqueyras

christian viladrich

Thanks a lot Chris for your quick answer.

For some reasons, procedure #2 does not work.

I am checking whether I can find the userid/ password delivered with the AP1600 to log to the other two applications.

Best regards

Christian

Le 02/08/2020 à 16:19, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io a écrit :

[...]

Hi Brian,

Thanks for this. I'll test this ASAP.

Christian

Le 02/08/2020 à 16:16, Brian Valente a écrit :

[...]

Hello,

We've just tested the first procedure. The mount was connected though a COM port and the Ethernet port.

(1) First, it launched the AP V2 driver.

Here is a screen copy :

It says that :

Ethernet Hostname is : GTOCP4_192

Your Ethernet IPv4 Address is : 0.0.0.0

(2) When we try to connect to 0.0.0.0 address, it says "connection not found".

Isn't strange to get 0.0.0.0 as an ip address ?

Then we tried procedure number 2 (with the IP address calculator). We got an IP address different to 0.0.0.0, but could not connect to this address.

Any idea of any test we can try next ?

[...]

An additional information, we've just tested the third procedure (the one with JAVA) with the mount connected through Ethernet. It says "No mounts found on any network".

Le 03/08/2020 à 09:51, christian viladrich a écrit :

[...]

Howard Hedlund

Christian,

Your Ethernet cable is plugged into the GTOCP4 on one end.  Is the other end of the cable plugged directly into the PC, or is it plugged into a network router?

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

I am currently on a mission at Astroqueyras observatory (France). We
have two AP1600 mounts up there.

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of
the mounts (it is OK for the second one).

We have the serial number of the mount. But when we apply the procedure,
there is no way to connect to this IP address.

Any idea of what can be going wrong ? Is there any way the scan the IP
address to find the address of the mount ?

Thanks for your help.

Christian Viladrich

Technical Support Group / Astroqueyras

SeismicGeo

The first link will provide the ip address calculated from your Ethernet hostname.

Try opening a browser with: 169.254.0.192

[...]

Ray Gralak

Hi Christian,

(2) When we try to connect to 0.0.0.0 address, it says "connection not found".

Isn't strange to get 0.0.0.0 as an ip address ?
You need to enter an IP address. The driver does not perform discovery of the mount's IP address, so its default IP address is set to "0.0.0.0".

-Ray Gralak

Le 02/08/2020 à 16:19, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> <mailto:chris1011@...> via groups.io a écrit :

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of
the mounts (it is OK for the second one).

Hello Christian,

We have several ways to find the mount on our web page. I have posted them below. Try one of the "Find
Mount" utilities and see if they work:

https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/servo/latlong-ip-calculator.html
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/cp4-update/run/FindMounts_Secure.zip
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/keypad_update/run/E-net_WiFi_Poll_2016-0711_Secure.zip

* WiFi Poll for GTOCP4 and GTOCP5 Ethernet <https://astro-
physics.info/tech_support/mounts/keypad_update/run/E-net_WiFi_Poll_2016-0711_Secure.zip> Application to
find current IP addresses and other network information. It also can open the GTOCP4 or GTOCP5 webpage in
IE. Requires AP V2 ASCOM Driver and a serial or USB connection to the control box. NOTE: We had removed the
link to this .exe file earlier since it had caused a problem with firewalls and anti-virus programs. It is now back on
the website as an encrypted ZIP file, and is in a restricted area of the website. Both the download and the zip-
extraction will require the same password that you use for downloading Keypad firmware. Normal Windows
extraction is fine. A purchased copy of WinZip is NOT required.
* Default IP Address Calculator and Latitude/Longitude Coordinate Converter <https://astro-
physics.info/tech_support/mounts/servo/latlong-ip-calculator.html> This link has two handy tools:
** IP Address Calculator - will take the CPx serial number and return the default IP address for the
device. While the Wi-Fi poll and FindMounts look at your actual system and find devices, this only does a basic
calculation without looking into your computer.
** Latitude/Longitude Coordinate Converter - Enter local coordinates in decimal degrees, and press
Calculate Coordinates to get the Degree:Minute:Second format.
* Find Mounts Java Applet <https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/cp4-
update/run/FindMounts_Secure.zip> to find current GTOCP4 IP addresses and other network information. Works
for any computer - Windows, Mac or Linux running Java. Requires the Java Runtime Environment from Oracle
<https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp> (already found on many computers) This also was placed on
[...]

I will forward this to our customer service guys.

I am currently on a mission at Astroqueyras observatory (France). We
have two AP1600 mounts up there.

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of
the mounts (it is OK for the second one).

We have the serial number of the mount. But when we apply the procedure,
there is no way to connect to this IP address.

Any idea of what can be going wrong ? Is there any way the scan the IP
address to find the address of the mount ?

Thanks for your help.

Christian Viladrich

Technical Support Group / Astroqueyras

christian viladrich

Hello Howard

The other end of the Ethernet cable is plugged directly into the PC. If you think this is worth, we can test with a network router.

Christian

Le 03/08/2020 à 14:00, Howard Hedlund a écrit :

[...]

Thanks ! I can send you the serial number of the mount.

Christian

Le 03/08/2020 à 16:39, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io a écrit :

I will forward this to our customer service guys.

I am currently on a mission at Astroqueyras observatory (France). We
have two AP1600 mounts up there.

We are having a little bit of a problem to find the IP address of one of
the mounts (it is OK for the second one).

We have the serial number of the mount. But when we apply the procedure,
there is no way to connect to this IP address.

Any idea of what can be going wrong ? Is there any way the scan the IP
address to find the address of the mount ?

Thanks for your help.

Christian Viladrich

Technical Support Group / Astroqueyras

michaeljhanson@...

Hi Christian,

An IP Address of 0.0.0.0 means usually one of two things:
1) Either the low-level link is not established.  Please check the small LED's on the RJ-45.  With the unit RJ-45 "plugged in", one LED should be lit all the time, and the other should blink occasionally.  If you are not getting this, the connection issue needs to be dealt with before an IP Address means anything.  The LED's are dim in broad daylight, otherwise they are blinding in pitch darkness.
2) Or, the unit is configured to be one a network (DHCP client), and DHCP has not timed out (30 seconds).  When your computer and unit are both asking for IP addresses, thinking they are supposed to be on a network, but there's no DHCP server, they cannot communicate.  You can plug the unit into any network/router the computer is connected to (doesn't matter if the computer is connected via WiFi or cable).

If you have a low-level link, and want to direct connect to the unit, wait 30 seconds for DHCP to timeout, and verify that you computer defaults to the link-local subnet (computer IP address = 169.254.xxx.xxx).  This can be checked using "ipconfig" in a DOS window.

There are other ways to configure the unit (or the PC) to allow them to "direct connect", be on the same sub-net, without waiting 30 seconds.  This can be a continuation topic if needed.  Please verify 1 and 2 first to make sure the unit's Ethernet is working.

Regards,
Mike Hanson

christian viladrich

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this !

Regarding test n°1 : the yellow LED is permanently on. The green LED blinks occasionally.  Just a a reminder, the mount is directly connected to the computer (i.e. no router).

Regarding test n°2 : we will have a look at it (and maybe try with a router).

Kind regards

Christian

Le 05/08/2020 à 14:07, michaeljhanson@... a écrit :

[...]

Pete Mumbower

Unless your computer is setup with DHCP services, the mount will not get an address. Plugging a router (typically people will use home wifi router), which is setup to handle DHCP out of the box, will resolve this. I am assuming if there is a computer already being used, there is a router somewhere. Just plug the mount into that to have it get an IP address. You can then log into the router and look at all the devices connected and what IP address is assigned to it.

Hope that help,
Pete