A query about AP mounts / APCC & Indi #APCC

David Trappett

First of all, I'd like to start by saying I don't want to stir up a hornets nest with this post,

I manage a school observatory in Australia.   We have two AP1100 mounts, connected via APCC/ASCOM to ACP Scheduler for autonomous remote operation.

I'm getting a little frustrated with the ACP issues that frequently occur with Windows 10 updates - not trying to point fingers at either provider being at fault BTW.

I'm starting to investigate alternate software options to run the observatory autonomously.    I've spent the last few days investigating EKOS Scheduler and it looks promising.    I plan to try it out with my personal equipment over the next few months (although I'm yet to see if my Mach1 GTOCP3 with Firmware Q will connect with INDI)

The obvious sticking point for the observatory 1100s is an INDI driver that provides the same level of protection we are afforded by running our mounts through APCC.

I've read through some posts on this forum, dating back 1 - 2 years that mentioned something was in the pipeline.    I don't want to change the system over tomorrow, but can you give any sort of timeframe for a comparable option to be available for INDI?

Regards,
DT

R Botero

David

Others will reply on INDI, but have a look at Voyager Array: https://software.starkeeper.it/

I have two AP mounts - only one imaging though - but also two telescopes running in tandem and imaging in my RoR. Voyager handles all the observatory functions from start to finish and it’s super stable.

Roberto

David Trappett

Thanks Roberto,

Voyager is the obvious alternative - how does it handle scheduling of multiple targets over multiple nights with weather interruptions? Our observatory operates autonomously, so I’m after something that schedules observations from a list of tasks depending on what is best placed in the sky.

DT

R Botero

David

I understand a scheduler such as that is being developed. I know of no application other than APC that can cater for several days worth of work automatically; certainly not written for Linux.

Roberto

David Trappett

Thanks Robert,

“In development” seems to be a common theme ;-)

I don’t know how mature the program is, but this sparked my interest.

https://indilib.org/individuals/ekos-kstars/153-robotic-observatory-with-ekos-scheduler.html

DT

David Trappett

Ray - any comments?

Thanks,

DT

Ray Gralak

Ray - any comments?
I've read through some posts on this forum, dating back 1 - 2 years that mentioned
something was in the pipeline. I don't want to change the system over tomorrow, but can
you give any sort of timeframe for a comparable option to be available for INDI?
My original plan was to leverage a cross-platform framework based on Alpaca. I even volunteered to create this framework, but the ASCOM team rejected the idea. Thus, the scope of the project has increased as I must develop an alternative.

So, unfortunately, it's become a more substantial project which has had a lower priority than supporting the ASCOM/Windows platform. I can't give you a time estimate because there are things out of my control that could affect completion.

-Ray Gralak