FITS Image Header Issues Using APPM-Help!

lmbrabec@...

Hello all:  I'm new to the forum and just got my Mach2 up and running and learning the ropes with APPM.  I've been working on an issue where plate solving is failing.  My camera set-up in APPM is: ASCOM Camera, ASI Camera (1), ZWO ASI294MC Pro.  Current versions I'm using is: ASCOM 6.4.1.2695, and the ZWO camera ASCOM driver is the most current 1.0.4.3.  I'm also using APCC-Pro version 1.8.2.1, and APCC V2 driver 5.3.10. I'm also using the PinPoint (Full Version) for the plate solver.

The error message during plate solving that I get is "plate solve failed! The plate's exposure start time is required for catalog proper motion calculation".  I also got same message when trying the "plate solve" under the Run tab in APPM.  I pulled in an older FITS image that had been imaged with SharpCap software and using the "image link test" in the Plate Solve Settings tab and everything looked good (plate solved).  I've attached a PDF of the failed image FITS Image Header captured through APPM and the FITS Image Header captured with SharpCap.

Looking at the "Date-Obs." row in the FITS image header for the image that failed to plate solve and said that exposure start time is needed the format used was: "7/20/2020 10:53:41 AM'.  I am also noticing that there is no RA and DEC information in the FITS file.  The FITS Image Header from the SharpCap acquired image showed for "Date-Obs." row: "2019-10-25T02:02:11.2774146'.

I'm also attaching a PDF of camera settings used in APPM and the plate solve results along with the FITS Image Headers of the successful plate solve (SharpCap acquired), and failed through APPM.  I ran this by the PinPoint forum and they mentioned that the Date-Obs. format is incorrect for the failed plate solve and that the FITS image information does not come from Pin Point but the acquisition software?  Thanks in advance for your help!  I'm loving the Mach2 so far and looking forward to learning the modeling capabilities.  Scott

Ray Gralak

Hi Scott,

I've never seen that error. Which version of PinPoint are you using?

APPM sets the pinpoint property ExposureStartTime with the current date/time (as a double, not a string) when providing an image to PinPoint for plate solving. The Time/Date property should be set internally by PinPoint.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Hi Scott

Did you happen to do a Windows update just prior to all of this ? I downloaded the latest Windows update (2020-07) on Friday night, and the next time I started up my laptop was Saturday night getting ready for a night of imaging. MaxIm DL went absolutely crazy on me. I shut everything down a rebooted my laptop and then everything worked fine after that.

I think I had a similar issue once several months trying to run PinPoint Astrometry on an image.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

From:        lmbrabec@...
To:        main@ap-gto.groups.io
Date:        2020-07-20 12:54 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

Thanks so much Ray and Michael for the help!  The first time I tried APPM was on 7/15 and then again today to see if the FITS Image Headers still caused issues and on both dates it was the same issue.  I also tried using the NASA option this morning and ran a small model (38 or so points) and everything ran fine so it seems like it is maybe ASCOM/camera driver maybe?  As far as version of PinPoint It is the most recent as I just purchased and downloaded it on 6/24/2020 and for PinPoint Astrometric Engine version is 6.1.5.  I'm also attaching some of the feedback I got from the PinPoint forum (I hope that's o.k.).  I figured it would be better that way for you to see what the PinPoint experts had to say.  The last Windows 10 x64 update I got was on July 14th.

Thanks in advance!  Scott

Ray Gralak

Scott,

As I said APPM sets the DateTime via ExposureStartTime in PinPoint before doing the plate solve.

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions and I don't see that behavior. Here's a screen shot just done using Nasa SkyView and PinPoint just a moment ago:

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

BTW, what version of Windows are you running?

Type "WinVer" from a command prompt to get the exact version and post the information. If it's version 2004 that could be the problem.

-Ray Gralak

Thanks so much Ray and Michael for the help! The first time I tried APPM was on 7/15 and then again today to
see if the FITS Image Headers still caused issues and on both dates it was the same issue. I also tried using the
NASA option this morning and ran a small model (38 or so points) and everything ran fine so it seems like it is
maybe ASCOM/camera driver maybe? As far as version of PinPoint It is the most recent as I just purchased and
downloaded it on 6/24/2020 and for PinPoint Astrometric Engine version is 6.1.5. I'm also attaching some of the
feedback I got from the PinPoint forum (I hope that's o.k.). I figured it would be better that way for you to see
what the PinPoint experts had to say. The last Windows 10 x64 update I got was on July 14th.

Thanks in advance! Scott

lmbrabec@...

It says version 1909 (OS build 18363.959) so its not version 2004. I agree with you as I had success this morning trying the NASA internet option in APPM.  It ran great, but the FITS Image Header is full of information and has the proper format for the image start time that I'm not seeing when I run the ASCOM camera driver with the ZWO camera.  Scott

lmbrabec@...

Ray:  I should have added that it says 2019 Microsoft for the version.  Sorry about that!  Scott

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

I am running Windows 10, Version 1909 since February 5, 2020. The latest update was 2020-07 and I installed it last Friday (July 18). The infamous 2020-04 (also flagged as a bad actor by the folks at Diffraction Ltd) was installed on April 14, 2020.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

lmbrabec@...

Great information Michael!  Looks like I updated to Windows 10, Version 1909 on April 15th.  So do I try to go back to the previous version of Windows 10(I'm not sure how to do this)? Thanks for the clue!  What do you think Ray or any other suggestions?  Scott

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Hi Scott

I would say that going back to the previous version of Windows should be the last resort, and I am not sure how to do that either. I have seen comments from several people on the forum (including Roland) stating that they have disabled the automatic Windows updates, but I am not sure that this is a good idea. As aggravating as these updates can be, they are usually done to fix some kind of bug or provide enhanced performance. It is the same for all of the astronomy software that we use. There are always bugs to be fixed or enhancements added. Otherwise, everything we run would still be on version 1.0.

Just make sure after every Windows update that you reboot your computer at least once before trying to run any of your astronomy related software.

Ray can probably give you better advice on whether the Windows updates are a problem. Sometimes these updates will restore default settings. One of the particularly aggravating settings is the USB Selective Suspend which was re-enabled in the Windows 1909 update. The instructions below came from the Diffraction Limited forum for MaxIm DL:

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

lmbrabec@...

Michael:  That's how I'm feeling also on Windows 10 updates.  I'd hate to go backwards and then have security issues, etc.  I'm going to stay at the 1909 version where I'm at for now.  I'm going to hold off on doing the version 2004 until I get this FITS issue resolved, then do it.

Ray:  I'm open to suggestions on trying to figure this out. Let me know your thoughts or if its possible to pm you to work through.  Thanks much in advance!  Scott

lmbrabec@...

So I tried a couple of things today to try and figure out this puzzle of plate solve failures:

1) I tried using the ASCOM V2 simulator camera in APPM.  I did a Plate Solve in APPM on the Run tab, it showed an image (FITS file), and then plate solving failed with same error message.  The FITS image header looks the same as past failed images.  No luck here.  I'm running ASCOM version 6.4.1.2695.  I also noticed that there was an update on the ASCOM  app on my computer on 5/9/2020.

2) I uninstalled the ZWO ASCOM camera driver (I'm using a ZWO ASI294MC Pro camera), then re-installed it (ZWO latest camera ASCOM driver version 1.0.4.3) and restarted my computer.  I did a Plate Solve in APPM on the Run tab, it show and image (FITS file), and then plate solving failed with same error message.  The FITS image header looks the same as past failed images.  No luck here.

3) I had run the NASA Skyview (Internet) camera option in APPM and ran a small model (38 pts).  This plate solved like a champ.  No issues, except I wish I could use the data to run a model!  The FITS file image header is full of information and in proper format as it plate solved great.  I'm using the latest version of PinPoint for plate solving.

I'm not sure what to try next but I'm starting to get suspicious of the ASCOM software but I could be barking up the wrong tree.  Sounds like Ray is recommending to hold of on going to the latest release (6.5) from what I gather at this point.  I thought about uninstalling my present version of ASCOM and reloading it but I'm not having any luck finding it on the ASCOM website (version 6.4.1.2695).

Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks in advance for any help, Scott

Worsel