strange behavior of Mach2 in Skyx #Mach2GTO: slewing instead of tracking

Andrea Lucchetti

Hi,
I am using my Mach 2 with APCC pro and skyx.
Everything seems to work, except for one strange behavior:

-if I use the jog buttons in skyx, the mount get stuck  in a slewing mode, with a wrong tracking speed (not sidereal). There is nothing at this point I can do to put the mount back in tracking mode: The only possibility is to disconnect the mount from skyx.

Except for this the mount point, sync, track, and autoguide using pulse guide just fine.

Can this be a bug related to the young mach2?

Thank you very much,
Andrea

Ray Gralak

Hi Andrea,

-if I use the jog buttons in skyx, the mount get stuck in a slewing mode, with a wrong tracking speed (not
sidereal). There is nothing at this point I can do to put the mount back in tracking mode: The only possibility is to
disconnect the mount from skyx.
It's probably not a bug in the Mach 2. Some of the commands have changed in the new firmware that the Mach 2 uses. It might take a bit of time before SkyX is updated so for jogging you should consider using APCC's move buttons. You can connect both SkyX and APCC to the mount at the same time.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Following up on the last post I just made, I looked at SkyX's jog functions and they look like they are simple slews so they should work.

What makes you think the mount is not back in sidereal tracking after completing the jog operation?

-Ray Gralak

I am using my Mach 2 with APCC pro and skyx.
Everything seems to work, except for one strange behavior:

-if I use the jog buttons in skyx, the mount get stuck in a slewing mode, with a wrong tracking speed (not
sidereal). There is nothing at this point I can do to put the mount back in tracking mode: The only possibility is to
disconnect the mount from skyx.

Except for this the mount point, sync, track, and autoguide using pulse guide just fine.

Can this be a bug related to the young mach2?

Thank you very much,
Andrea

Ray Gralak

Andrea,

After looking at logs of commands sent via SkyX's native interface to the AP Mounts, I think the implementation seems to have a few issues. We’ll have to contact Software Bisque to work out those issues.

Instead, try connecting to the mount through the AP V2 ASCOM driver. Here is how you will want to setup SkyX:

-Ray Gralak

Andrea Lucchetti

Hi Ray, thank you for the reply.
I did actually connect to the AP V2 driver, as this was the recommended way to work.

the potential issue I am reporting is based on the following clues:

-when the jog buttons are clicked in Skyx, the mount status changes from "Tracking at sidereal rate" to "slewing": that should be ok while pushing the buttons, but it should come back to sidereal tracking  as soon as the slew is ended (button released). This was the behavior I always saw with my former paramount ME.
-there is no way from this point on for the status in skyx to change back to "tracking at sidereal rate", it sticks to "slewing" no matter what you do.

-I noticed the behavior just as consequence of bad images: the images , about 30 s exposure, showed trailing. After realizing the issue in skyx, disconnecting and reconnecting, the mount returned to track well. I did the same "mistake" again yesterday at a star party: started getting trailed images, I checked in skyx and the mount was in "slewing" state. I had again used the jog in skyx (I am used to it because of my previous mount...). I disconnected the mount, reconnected it,  and it returned tracking ok.
thank you,
Andrea

Ray Gralak

Andrea,

Instead, please try the AP Jog utility to see if the behavior is better. It is included with the ASCOM driver.

AP Jog serves the same function as the Jog feature in SkyX. I saw weird behavior when I tried to use jog in SkyX earlier so there may be some issues within SkyX.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Roland Christen

We will look into this. Meanwhile can you use the jog buttons in APCC?

It may be that SkyX is configured to send a "move" command but not a "quit move" command when the button is released. Therefore the mount continues to move at the button rate.

I am using my Mach 2 with APCC pro and skyx.
Everything seems to work, except for one strange behavior:

-if I use the jog buttons in skyx, the mount get stuck  in a slewing mode, with a wrong tracking speed (not sidereal). There is nothing at this point I can do to put the mount back in tracking mode: The only possibility is to disconnect the mount from skyx.

Except for this the mount point, sync, track, and autoguide using pulse guide just fine.

Can this be a bug related to the young mach2?

Thank you very much,
Andrea

Wayne Hixson

When I tried this yesterday although SkyX reported slewing even after button release, APCC and ASCOM driver showed tracking at
sidereal rate.

On Jul 20, 2020, at 7:56 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

We will look into this. Meanwhile can you use the jog buttons in APCC?

It may be that SkyX is configured to send a "move" command but not a "quit move" command when the button is released. Therefore the mount continues to move at the button rate.

I am using my Mach 2 with APCC pro and skyx.
Everything seems to work, except for one strange behavior:

-if I use the jog buttons in skyx, the mount get stuck  in a slewing mode, with a wrong tracking speed (not sidereal). There is nothing at this point I can do to put the mount back in tracking mode: The only possibility is to disconnect the mount from skyx.

Except for this the mount point, sync, track, and autoguide using pulse guide just fine.

Can this be a bug related to the young mach2?

Thank you very much,
Andrea

Roland Christen

SkyX is failing to send the proper stop slew command. It's not a failing of the mount, it's an improper command in SkyX.

[...]

Howard Hedlund

APCC and the Driver show sidereal as the SELECTED tracking rate.  That is the tracking rate even while slewing, and the mount must keep track of the sidereal motion of the sky during the time it takes to slew.

TheSkyX is failing to stop its button slew as Rolando has pointed out.  Now that I’m back in the Saddle, I plan to address a number of such issues with outside developers.  Please be patient with me.  I have a lot of catch-up!

Mag. 7 Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone: 815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.