ASCOM 6.5 released, upgrade or not?

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   ASCOM 6.5 is released. Should I upgrade or wait?

https://ascom-standards.org/Help/Platform/html/3417e177-f705-497d-8127-fb30e8519d50.htm

cytan

George LaBelle

You know the saying? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I'm not until I have to. You just don't need something breaking right in the middle of imaging season.
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Ray Gralak

ASCOM 6.5 is released. Should I upgrade or wait?
Wait for now. I'm looking into it now. The downloaded file is not digitally signed which is a big red flag.

-Ray Gralak

ASCOM 6.5 is released. Should I upgrade or wait?

https://ascom-standards.org/Help/Platform/html/3417e177-f705-497d-8127-fb30e8519d50.htm

cytan

Ray Gralak

Confirmed. Do not update to ASCOM platform 6.5 yet.

-Ray Gralak

ASCOM 6.5 is released. Should I upgrade or wait?
Wait for now. I'm looking into it now. The downloaded file is not digitally signed which is a big red flag.

-Ray Gralak

ASCOM 6.5 is released. Should I upgrade or wait?

https://ascom-standards.org/Help/Platform/html/3417e177-f705-497d-8127-fb30e8519d50.htm

cytan

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Ray,
   Thanks for the warning. I'll wait until you confirm it's good to do so.

Thanks!

cytan

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, 08:11:26 PM CDT, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Confirmed. Do not update to ASCOM platform 6.5 yet.

-Ray Gralak

David Fabrizio

Any update on this situation yet?

On Jul 19, 2020, at 6:12 PM, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

Hi Ray,
   Thanks for the warning. I'll wait until you confirm it's good to do so.

Thanks!

cytan

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, 08:11:26 PM CDT, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:

Confirmed. Do not update to ASCOM platform 6.5 yet.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

"Do not update" is the update. I may not have time to look into this until next week, if even then.

Is there something in 6.5 that you need?

-Ray Gralak

On Sunday, July 19, 2020, 08:11:26 PM CDT, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Confirmed. Do not update to ASCOM platform 6.5 yet.

-Ray Gralak

David Fabrizio

No, it's just that I updated it BEFORE I saw your original email.

Thank you

"Do not update" is the update. I may not have time to look into this until next week, if even then.

Is there something in 6.5 that you need?

-Ray Gralak

Mike Dodd

On 7/22/2020 7:53 PM, David Fabrizio via groups.io wrote:
No, it's just that I updated it BEFORE I saw your original email.
Did you create a Restore Point before installing? If so, just roll-back to that point. Otherwise, maybe you can uninttall, then install the pre-6.5 version.

--- Mike

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Mike,  slightly off topic, but in regard to your wise suggestion about doing a Restore Point.

    Have you personally had success with “Restore Point Recovery”  under e.g. Win-10 (PRO) ? I have yet to get one to work, on either of my two PC’s. They just go for an hour, wasting my time and patience, pretending to be working at it,  fail, reboot and leave things rolled back to the original system it had started out from. Tried any number of previous Restore Points, not just one, on either PC. Failure Report gives a bogus Microsoft unhelpful suggestion to  turn off all antivirus programs – did that, doesn’t help

    Had it work just once,  (probably a fluke), after discovering that ACRONIS Backup 2014 ... “turns off Volume Shadow Copy” – a required Win-10 Service for successful RP restoration, but have forced it to stay Running twice, prior to initiating the Point Restoration today – no luck, and  the service was STOPPED by something, after the reboot of a previous failure. I am at a loss. Something in Windows is turning it off, perhaps even Windows Defender AV, even after disabling it in previous attempts. Also tried disabling MALWAREBYTES, no difference. Even Microsoft tech support (yeah, I know, contradiction of terms) - had no luck after running on my system for hours.
Would love to have Restore Point  function work, after a year of attempts.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

    Beginning to wonder if the recent Win-10 Build 2004, from a couple of weeks ago,  is the culprit. There is an ever increasing pile of posts about that recent Build’s  problems corrupting working apps and drivers,  on the web – might even match Win-VISTA’s  popularity :-)

    Anybody else getting “System Restore Point” failures, or found a fix?

Thanks,
Joe

On 7/22/2020 8:52 PM, Joe Zeglinski wrote:
Hi Mike, slightly off topic, but in regard to your wise suggestion
about doing a *_Restore Point_*.
Have you personally had success with “Restore Point Recovery”
under e.g. Win-10 (PRO) ?
No Win10 here. I run Win7 Pro on the observatory PC and Win 8.1 Pro on my office PC. I have successfully applied a Restore Point on on both platforms to recover previous files and programs.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

--- Mike

Luca Marinelli

Ray,

The ZWO native driver requires ASCOM 6.5 since a few months ago. I have been running it with APCC Pro with no issues. However, I think some users had problems with APPM and ASCOM 6.5. It would be nice to be able to run the latest version of the camera driver and not have to revert to past versions to be compatible with tracking models now that ASCOM 6.5 has been officially released.

Thanks,

Luca

Ray Gralak

Hi Luca,

The ZWO native driver requires ASCOM 6.5 since a few months ago. I have been running it with APCC Pro with
no issues. However, I think some users had problems with APPM and ASCOM 6.5. It would be nice to be able
to run the latest version of the camera driver and not have to revert to past versions to be compatible with
tracking models now that ASCOM 6.5 has been officially released.
Sure, that would be nice. And the new ASCOM platform should be backwards compatible so I hope you realize that the fix is likely
going to be in the ASCOM platform, not APCC.

What I need to do is try to track down the location of the problem in the ASCOM platform so I can provide feedback to the ASCOM
developers. I would also like to suggest a fix to minimize the wait time for a new build of the ASCOM platform.

-Ray Gralak

The ZWO native driver requires ASCOM 6.5 since a few months ago. I have been running it with APCC Pro with
no issues. However, I think some users had problems with APPM and ASCOM 6.5. It would be nice to be able
to run the latest version of the camera driver and not have to revert to past versions to be compatible with
tracking models now that ASCOM 6.5 has been officially released.

Thanks,

Luca

Pierre Henrotay

Could you please check?
The ZWO downloads for ascom is 1.0.4.3 dated June 29.
The change log mentions a rollback to 6. 4.
The Ascom platform referenced is 6.4 also.

Pierre

Luca Marinelli

Pierre is right. I updated the ZWO ASCOM driver when I loaded software on a new computer in May 2020 but it appears that ZWO, wisely, went back to ASCOM 6.4 a couple of weeks later. I will simply update the ZWO ASCOM driver and roll back to ASCOM 6.4 to ensure compatibility with APPM. Thank you both to Pierre and Ray for the quick responses.

--Luca

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:35 AM, Pierre Henrotay wrote:
Could you please check?
The ZWO downloads for ascom is 1.0.4.3 dated June 29.
The change log mentions a rollback to 6. 4.
The Ascom platform referenced is 6.4 also.

Pierre

Dean Jacobsen

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 03:51 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
"Do not update" is the update. I may not have time to look into this until next week, if even then.

Is there something in 6.5 that you need?
So, where do we stand on ASCOM 6.5?

My new imaging computer will arrive next week.  I don't see an option on the ASCOM page to download ASCOM 6.4.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dale Ghent

You can find all releases on ASCOM's github releases page:
https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases

A direct link to the 6.4SP1 release is here:
https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases/tag/Build_2695

/dale

On Jul 30, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@outlook.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 03:51 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
"Do not update" is the update. I may not have time to look into this until next week, if even then.

Is there something in 6.5 that you need?
So, where do we stand on ASCOM 6.5?

My new imaging computer will arrive next week. I don't see an option on the ASCOM page to download ASCOM 6.4.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dean Jacobsen

Excellent.  So 6.4SP1 is the one we like?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/