Ser No 900349

KHursh

I am looking at buying this AP 900GTO and am wondering if there is any info on this mount, such as year produced and was it originally a Cp2?

Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...>

I'm sure a call into AP will answer your question exactly but if it you're needing the info now, I have #501 and it was made ~ 2000 and was a CP2.

--

Stuart
http://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/

KHursh

Thank you for relying Stuart. The seller is having trouble answering pretty basic questions about the mount, though he/she is the original owner. I have a bad gut feeling. I think I may have to pass, though it is a great price. Too good to be true, maybe.

Kevin

Christopher Erickson

There are people who make investments in expensive gear because they can afford it. Those same people don't always figure out their expensive investments and sometimes that gear goes into storage and is forgotten about.

The seller's faded memory could just simply be that.

A call to AP can verify if the seller is the original owner and possibly a few more details on the mount.

Depending on how far away it is, you could consider going to look at it in person. Or if you have a friend nearer to the mount, maybe have them do it.

Never take cash with you.  If all looks well, you can pay via Square, PayPal, Zelle, etc. Or go off and get a bank check from a local branch of your bank, if possible.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM khursh via groups.io <khursh=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you for relying Stuart. The seller is having trouble answering pretty basic questions about the mount, though he/she is the original owner. I have a bad gut feeling. I think I may have to pass, though it is a great price. Too good to be true, maybe.

Kevin

Jim Fakatselis

I may have some valuable info for you.  Please contact me off the group.

Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Well ... privacy rules would probably preclude Marj and the gang giving you a lot of details about the seller but hopefully they can confirm that the mount is theirs (since they claim to be the original owner).

I bought an AP130EDT (f/8.35 version) that I was to be the 3rd owner of. The seller asserted it was originally bought by someone local quite well known and while AP was in no position to speak to that due to privacy, they were SUPER helpful in confirming that the scope was what it was asserted to be and I made the deal and was very happy.

Don't give up yet!

On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 at 19:29, khursh via groups.io <khursh=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you for relying Stuart. The seller is having trouble answering pretty basic questions about the mount, though he/she is the original owner. I have a bad gut feeling. I think I may have to pass, though it is a great price. Too good to be true, maybe.

Kevin

--

Stuart
http://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/

KHursh

The version on CN appears to fraudulent. Bummer

Woody Schlom

Kevin,

Or it might be a case that the 2nd generation is selling off Dad’s old astronomy gear.  And not everybody keeps old receipts or records.

Just trying to think on the positive side.

Woody

Thank you for relying Stuart. The seller is having trouble answering pretty basic questions about the mount, though he/she is the original owner. I have a bad gut feeling. I think I may have to pass, though it is a great price. Too good to be true, maybe.

Kevin

Woody Schlom

This sounds ominous!

Woody

I may have some valuable info for you.  Please contact me off the group.

Donald Rudny

Kevin,

If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.  Consider taking a pass.  Paying a little more for a known quantity always pays off in a long run.  If you do go for it, good suggestion on not paying cash.  If he doesn’t want to do PayPal, another red flag.

Don

Don Rudny
Pepeekeo, HI

On Jul 18, 2020, at 1:29 PM, khursh via groups.io <khursh@...> wrote:

Thank you for relying Stuart. The seller is having trouble answering pretty basic questions about the mount, though he/she is the original owner. I have a bad gut feeling. I think I may have to pass, though it is a great price. Too good to be true, maybe.

Kevin

KHursh

I can say one thing for certain, my feelings about getting an AP mount are right on. This group has been super helpful. Based on this experience alone, I think I have chosen the right path. Now, I just have to save some more pennies!

Kevin

DFisch

out of curiosity I went to look at the CN post,  it must have been taken down.  TJF

On Jul 18, 2020, at 8:17 PM, khursh via groups.io <khursh@...> wrote:

I can say one thing for certain, my feelings about getting an AP mount are right on. This group has been super helpful. Based on this experience alone, I think I have chosen the right path. Now, I just have to save some more pennies!

Kevin

KHursh

I reported it to the admins. I guess I'm a "Karen" now.

Karen Christen

Hey, now.  ;-)

Karen

AP