Of Mice and Mounts

Roland Christen

Lat week during an imaging session in my observatory I happened to see a mouse rappelling down the power cord on my nearby 1600 mount. Rather strange, I thought, that mice would use wires as highways up and down a telescope pier.

Then last night, as I was getting ready to do some imaging with the 17" astrograph on that 1600 mount, I ran into a familiar problem. The Dec axis ran for 1 second and stopped, with the yellow light coming on in the CP4 controller. I looked up the open hole in the back of the RA (yes I forgot to put the plug back in last August) and saw some shredded paper way up in the Dec axis cavity. I knew then I had to get into the Dec axis and check out the damage.

Since I had a large astrograph on the mount, I decided to put the mount counterweight down, scope on top and lock the axes clutch knobs tight. Without removing the scope, I removed all the counterweights, the counterweight shaft and unscrewed the counterweight adapter from the end of the Dec axis. Here's what it looked like:

After cleaning out the mess:

The mice had chewed on all the wires and broke several of them. Fortunately I have lots of practice soldering. I pulled out the Dec connector wire along with the crossover box:

The mice had damage 6 of the 8 wires. With some matching pieces of wire, some heat shrink tubing I spliced in the damaged portions:

Finished cable wrapped with some electrical tape. Did it work? YES, the mount is back in business and the scope is imaging again.

thefamily90 Phillips

Wow!!

Jim

[...]

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Rolando,

Yep mice are a menace to equipment. I had mice make a home in one of my RF power amplifiers (~$75k each). They got in via the air cooling slots which were just small 1/2" wide slots. I didn't expect that mice could actually squeeze through them.  Unfortunately, due to the mice pee and cr*p, this amplifer was a health hazard for anyone to repair and clean it and so it had to be written off. I still know where the power amp carcass is ...

For its replacement, I had the techs install chicken wire to cover the holes.

Hopefully, you found the nest dry and could clean it properly.

cytan

On Friday, July 17, 2020, 04:58:45 PM CDT, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

Steven

Mice can get into any space larger than the diameter of a pencil. Holes must be smaller than a pencil width to prevent mice entering. Not too sure about chicken wire working out for you.

SE

[...]

Ouch, that musta hurt (in your pocketbook).

[...]

W Hilmo

A couple of years ago, I broke down my AP1100 after it had been set up in the yard for a few months and covered when not in use.  Some enterprising creature had completely filled the inside of the mount with maple seeds.  No harm was done and all I needed to do was to separate the mount halves and lightly blow out the stuff that didn’t just fall out.

There was no evidence of a nest, just a food storehouse.

[...]

Donald Rudny

There’s always this solution.

Don Rudny
Pepeekeo, HI

[...]

<image001.png>

After cleaning out the mess:

<image002.png>

The mice had chewed on all the wires and broke several of them. Fortunately I have lots of practice soldering. I pulled out the Dec connector wire along with the crossover box:

<image003.png>

The mice had damage 6 of the 8 wires. With some matching pieces of wire, some heat shrink tubing I spliced in the damaged portions:

<image004.png>

Finished cable wrapped with some electrical tape. Did it work? YES, the mount is back in business and the scope is imaging again.

<image005.png>

Roland Christen

GREAT! Smile

[...]

Now that’s a beautiful setup!

[...]

Karen would agree that we need a company cat.  Nice setup and great view, Don!

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Michael Dolenga

Hi Wade, what covering did you use? I think I'm a couple of miles as the crow flies from your location. Now that someone is always home due to COVID, I've used a simple nylon tarp for about a week and just left the rig setup. What a pleasure not having to setup from scratch every session, I can only imagine how heavenly it would be to have a permanent setup.

Anyway, the rope fastened nylon tarp doesn't seem ideal for the long run, so any suggestions for a different material would be appreciated.

Michael

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 4:28 PM, W Hilmo
<y.groups@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Marj.  Kulu is one of three cats that showed up at our house as kittens one day about ten years ago.  She’s the only female and always comes out with me to the observatory when I’m out there.  She stays the whole time, no matter how long the session is, sometimes to three in the morning.  The other two boys just lay around on the lanai most of the day.  I was never a cat person, but these three have really changed that.

Kiko and Kalima

Don Rudny
Pepeekeo, HI

[...]

I use a TG365.

I’m using a C8 for imaging, but I bought an oversized one, meant for a Dobsonian.  That way, it covers everything, all the way down to the ground.  To keep the humidity under control, I have two Goldenrod heaters (designed for a gun safe) under the cover near the bottom of the mount.  It works very well, but with one caution.  If I leave the OTA mounted, and the OTA makes direct contact with the underside of the TG365 cover, heat from inside the OTA can escape out the top of the cover.  In very cold weather, this can cause extensive moisture inside the scope.  To prevent that, I have a towel folded in many layers over the top of the scope.  That way, the towels insulate the OTA from the under side of the top of the cover.

[...]

Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...>

Ouch! Happened to me TWICE! Once with one of those "red" mounts and then once when a few of the critters got into the OTA of my Planewave 12.5" and down behind the primary and ate EVERYTHING. OMG. What a mess. In both cases the cost of repair was high. And my insurance policy explicitly lists mice under "Not covered for damage by vermin".

--

Stuart
http://www.astrofoto.ca/stuartheggie/

thefamily90 Phillips

Since the goldenrod gets hot, how do you attach it to the mount?

Jim

[...]

The Goldenrod gets warm, not hot.  I can easily touch it when it’s running.

To mount it, I used the plastic stand-offs included with the Goldenrods and attached them to thin strips of plywood.  I then zip tie the plywood strips to the turnbuckles on my portable field pier.

[...]

Just ordered one. Maybe two?
Very high humidity here in S.C.
I also use a TGZ 365

Jim