AP1100 GTO question

Shailesh Trivedi

I recently purchased an AP1100 from a user who got it from AP in the April batch (thanks to Astromart). This comes with the Losmandy HD tripod. I am expecting the mount (+ cws) next week.

I am also about to get a TEC 180FL next week (it has been shipped by Yuri), so I am excited to give the AP1100 a spin.

I am new to AP mounts and this one does not have AE, and comes with APCC (not pro), I have a Paramount MX and associated The SkyX with Tpoint etc.

I have three questions:

1. Can I use Tpoint from Software Bisque to create a pointing model for the AP1100 or do I need to upgrade to APCCPro?
2. Will the Losmandy HD tripod be able to handle the TEC 180FL on the AP1100? (38lbs scope + about 15lb cameras accessories + the mount ofcourse).
3. Is there a way I can mount the AP1100 on a Paramount MX permanent pier via an adapter?

Shailesh

dvjbaja

My ap 180 f7 rides on my 1100 and losmandy hd tripod no problem.  3, 18lb weights, plus rings, saddle, dovetail plates, finder, diagonal. 20 ethos, no problem.   I like the losmandy hd for the flexibility it offers with my other telescope configurations.

Jg

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

[...]

Dean Jacobsen

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 09:03 AM, Shailesh Trivedi wrote:
I have three questions:

1. Can I use Tpoint from Software Bisque to create a pointing model for the AP1100 or do I need to upgrade to APCCPro?
2. Will the Losmandy HD tripod be able to handle the TEC 180FL on the AP1100? (38lbs scope + about 15lb cameras accessories + the mount ofcourse).
Yes, as John has said the Losmandy HD tripod is a nice solid tripod.  I use one.

3. Is there a way I can mount the AP1100 on a Paramount MX permanent pier via an adapter?
Yes, you will need an Astro-Physics 119FSA - > https://www.astro-physics.com/119fsa

We have a 48" Software Bisque pier with an AP1100 bolted onto it using the 119FSA at our observatory.  You just have to drill down through the top of the SB pier and attach the flat surface adapter with bolts and nuts or drill and tap a threaded hole.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Regarding the question about Tpoint versus APCC, I highly recommend going with APCC. Not only will you get an improved pointing model but you will also get an improved tracking model which is pretty critical in my opinion. We have an AP 1600 with absolute encoders and are doing unguided imaging at nearly 3000 mm focal length and it’s essential

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 9:04 AM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
[...]

Brian

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

1. Can I use Tpoint from Software Bisque to create a pointing model for the AP1100 or do I need to upgrade to APCCPro?
2. Will the Losmandy HD tripod be able to handle the TEC 180FL on the AP1100? (38lbs scope + about 15lb cameras accessories + the mount ofcourse).
3. Is there a way I can mount the AP1100 on a Paramount MX permanent pier via an adapter?
1) yes, you can use T-Point. However you cannot use their Pro-Track feature for unguided imaging. APCC Pro does have this feature and many more.
2) Yes, the HD tripod is very rugged.
3) We have flat surface adapters that can be drilled to fit just about any pier or tripod.

[...]

Thank you Roland, Brian, dvjbaja, Dean.

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Roland,

Following up on the flat surface adapters, I see three options

1. 119FSA - > https://www.astro-physics.com/119fsa
2.119FP  https://www.astro-physics.com/119fp
3. 119FSA-FP https://www.astro-physics.com/119fsa-fp

If I want an option to use my Paramount MX 10 inch permanent pier to mount the AP1100 or a Mach2, which option should I choose?

Shailesh

Roland Christen

You're asking the wrong guy since I don't know what the Paramount pier looks like.

Following up on the flat surface adapters, I see three options

1. 119FSA - > https://www.astro-physics.com/119fsa
2.119FP  https://www.astro-physics.com/119fp
3. 119FSA-FP https://www.astro-physics.com/119fsa-fp

If I want an option to use my Paramount MX 10 inch permanent pier to mount the AP1100 or a Mach2, which option should I choose?

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Roland,

I do not expect you to know the technical drawings of hole patterns of the PMX pier. I am pretty sure I will have to tap holes. My question was more geared towards versatility between AP1100 and Mach2.

Shailesh

Christopher Erickson

Get the 119FSA.

You will have to add a 10-12" aluminum disc or plate as well. You can usually find suitable 1/2" thick aluminum discs on eBay.

Using an intermediate aluminum disc will allow you to avoid making permanent changes/holes to your mount or pier.

If you aren't handy with a drill press and hand-tapping aluminum, your friendly local machine shop can help you. They could provide the aluminum disc as well, if you don't find a cheap one elsewhere.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 9:28 AM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
Roland,

I do not expect you to know the technical drawings of hole patterns of the PMX pier. I am pretty sure I will have to tap holes. My question was more geared towards versatility between AP1100 and Mach2.

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Chris (if I may call you that),

This is an excellent idea. I will work on it.

Thank you for this simple trick.

Shailesh

Christopher Erickson

You can call me anything. LOL! I don't mind when people call me Christopher, Chris, Eric, Butthead or whatever. There are more important things to worry about in life.

I hope my advice helps!

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 11:45 AM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
Chris (if I may call you that),

This is an excellent idea. I will work on it.

Thank you for this simple trick.

Shailesh

Joe Zeglinski

Shailesh - FYI

   Per Chris’s recommendation, if you are going that way -  Saw a 119FSA on AstroMart a few minutes ago, just posted today. Hurry if interested.

Astro-Physics Flat Plate Adapter 119FSA ($100) – Classifieds # 483523   (Eron Lee)

HTH,
Joe Z.

You will have to add a 10-12" aluminum disc or plate as well. You can usually find suitable 1/2" thick aluminum discs on eBay.

Using an intermediate aluminum disc will allow you to avoid making permanent changes/holes to your mount or pier.

If you aren't handy with a drill press and hand-tapping aluminum, your friendly local machine shop can help you. They could provide the aluminum disc as well, if you don't find a cheap one elsewhere.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 9:28 AM Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@...> wrote:
Roland,

I do not expect you to know the technical drawings of hole patterns of the PMX pier. I am pretty sure I will have to tap holes. My question was more geared towards versatility between AP1100 and Mach2.

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately it is sold