AP1200 DEC Stiffness

eja24601

Good Friday morning all,

I had our AP1200 configured in our backyard observatory for imaging with a 6" f/8 refractor for a little over a month. I reconfigured it last night for visual/planetary use (removed the CCD and external focuser).

I was surprised at the stiffness of the DEC axis compared to what it had been prior. RA axis was fine; it showed the slightest hint of imbalance. The DEC was so stiff that I could barely detect signs of imbalance.

Before I attached the CCD to the scope, the DEC axis was fine. So this is a recent development.

Regardless, the mount still worked fine - after a quick session imaging the Moon, I discovered the Double Star feature of the handpad and the mount showed me a few beauts.

Help?

Thanks,
Eric

Steven Panish

Stuck clutch plug?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 9:55 AM eja24601 via groups.io <eja24601=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good Friday morning all,

I had our AP1200 configured in our backyard observatory for imaging with a 6" f/8 refractor for a little over a month. I reconfigured it last night for visual/planetary use (removed the CCD and external focuser).

I was surprised at the stiffness of the DEC axis compared to what it had been prior. RA axis was fine; it showed the slightest hint of imbalance. The DEC was so stiff that I could barely detect signs of imbalance.

Before I attached the CCD to the scope, the DEC axis was fine. So this is a recent development.

Regardless, the mount still worked fine - after a quick session imaging the Moon, I discovered the Double Star feature of the handpad and the mount showed me a few beauts.

Help?

Thanks,
Eric

eja24601

>>Stuck clutch plug?

That's my concern! If so, how do I unstick it?

Thanks,
Eric

Roland Christen

Your clutch plugs are stuck. Can be fixed.

I had our AP1200 configured in our backyard observatory for imaging with a 6" f/8 refractor for a little over a month. I reconfigured it last night for visual/planetary use (removed the CCD and external focuser).

I was surprised at the stiffness of the DEC axis compared to what it had been prior. RA axis was fine; it showed the slightest hint of imbalance. The DEC was so stiff that I could barely detect signs of imbalance.

Before I attached the CCD to the scope, the DEC axis was fine. So this is a recent development.

Regardless, the mount still worked fine - after a quick session imaging the Moon, I discovered the Double Star feature of the handpad and the mount showed me a few beauts.

Help?

Thanks,
Eric

eja24601

Thanks, Rolando! I've reached out to AP for the repair/replacement kits. In the meantime, as long as it's roughly balanced in DEC, is the mount OK to use?

Roland Christen

In the meantime, as long as it's roughly balanced in DEC, is the mount OK to use?

Roland Christen

Yes, it's fine to use. Clutch stiffness does not impact the operation of the mount.

Thanks, Rolando! I've reached out to AP for the repair/replacement kits. In the meantime, as long as it's roughly balanced in DEC, is the mount OK to use?

M Hambrick

Hi Eric
ThereĀ  are a lot of other posts on the forum about removing stuck clutch plugs. It would be a good idea to research these before you try to remove yours. Just do a search on the forum for "clutch plugs"