Weird issues - ASCOM driver (5.30.10) - Mach1 - APCC and PHD2 #APCC #ASCOM_V2_Driver #Guiding

Rodolphe

Hello
I observed in my recent sessions several issues - not sure if they are connected or not.

Running Win10 Pro, 8GB Ram, plenty of disk space.

1. When starting a new frame capture in SCG Pro, PHD2 sends out a warning "Please disable the Synchronous PulseGuide option in the mount's ASCOM driver settings. Enabling the setting can cause unpredictable results".
--> But the ASCOM settings are "Synchronous PulseGuide calls" disabled (box unchecked).

2,. When using APCC through its virtual ports, I get an error message slewing the mount (not after the initial slew, but when SGP attempts to center the target) : "VPort2 / Fault / SyncTarget: Valid ALT/Az, RA/Dec, HA/Dec has not been received!" - and the 3D view blinks in red.
--> I thus bypassed APCC as a temporary solution, going straight through the ASCOM driver, until I find a reason/fix for it.

Has anyone an idea?
If more details are needed, happy to provide.
Thanks in advance for your support.
Rodolphe

Ray Gralak

Hi Rodolfe,

1. When starting a new frame capture in SCG Pro, PHD2 sends out a warning "Please disable the Synchronous
PulseGuide option in the mount's ASCOM driver settings. Enabling the setting can cause unpredictable results".
--> But the ASCOM settings are "Synchronous PulseGuide calls" disabled (box unchecked).
That's the PHD2 developers' attempt to blame the AP V2 ASCOM driver for a COM interop threading issue in the PHD2 code. :-)

Disabling "Synchronous PulseGuide Calls" does not resolve the threading issue in PHD2, but it might make it less likely to occur.

2,. When using APCC through its virtual ports, I get an error message slewing the mount (not after the initial slew,
but when SGP attempts to center the target) : "VPort2 / Fault / SyncTarget: Valid ALT/Az, RA/Dec, HA/Dec has not
been received!" - and the 3D view blinks in red.
--> I thus bypassed APCC as a temporary solution, going straight through the ASCOM driver, until I find a
reason/fix for it.
That means APCC is having trouble communicating with either the mount or the driver.

How are you connecting to the mount?

Which control box are you using? (e.g. GTOCP4)

What version of firmware?

What version of APCC?

-Ray Gralak

[...]

Edited

Hi Ray

Thanks for the response, here are additional details (sorry for the long message).
As the groups doesn't allow embedding images, I have stored them onlive (onedrive), here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvO2KZoP803hortC4RuDAyEGdXKWGQ?e=lF2mD5

  • APCC version (image001.png)
  • Mount firmware version (...004)
  • ASCOM driver version (...012)
  • Ascom driver – test connection through IP address (...013)
  • Ascom driver – test connection through APCC virtual port (...014)
  • APCC connection through serial port (COM/USB) (...015)
  • APCC connection through IP (wifi) (...016)

As you can see it from above:

I’m connected via wifi to the mount ; more specifically:

·         CP4 is the control box

·         CP4 connected to the mount, checked connections OK – it obviously responds to the commands

·         CP4 connected to a local PC, an Intel NUC, through wifi (192.168.1.xxx) – using the same access point – connection tested OK

·         CP4 also connected to the same local PC with a COM/USB adapter, as a backup connection – connection tested OK

·         I drive the mount/local PC remotely through MSFT remote desktop (Win10 Pro on the local PC) – using wifi

I found an additional issue: APCC can’t seem to find the CP4 on the network. (...017)

This is weird, because it used to work perfectly before. Before what? I can’t determine any major changes to my setup except maybe the recent Win10 update (feature update version 2004) (...018)

 I hope this is useful.
Thanks

Ray Gralak

Rodolphe,

This is weird, because it used to work perfectly before. Before what? I can’t determine any major changes to my
setup except maybe the recent Win10 update (feature update version 2004)
I've heard there have been some compatibility issues with Windows 10 v2004, so you might want to revert Windows to the previous version you had running. If reverting to the old Windows 10 version solves the problems then you might want to hold off upgrading until 2004 has become more refined.

-Ray Gralak

Thanks for the response, here are additional details (sorry for the long message).

See screenshots below and narratives further down, including an other oddity found in APCC.

1. APCC version

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/ae5b0613-487f-4d6b-b6fc-b69fabb21a24>

2. Mount firmware version

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/a3f9ea8b-7e6c-4c1a-a602-f99806bc1433>

3. ASCOM driver version

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/188c1c79-db34-4d10-bac6-c5442a2fb14d>

4. Ascom driver – test connection through IP address

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/7727424e-ca88-4ead-9d6f-4434bae9f697>

5. Ascom driver – test connection through APCC virtual port

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/4c4b4f87-fe72-462f-9c67-682670a2de5b>

6. APCC connection through serial port (COM/USB)

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/0c8cdd6e-8c4f-4dd2-ab1a-bdd20095d90b>

7. APCC connection through IP (wifi)

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/132650fb-047a-46c7-ac1c-00ec10240cad>

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/d46f5c67-0ea1-45d2-9fe3-848d14ffba07>

This is weird, because it used to work perfectly before. Before what? I can’t determine any major changes to my
setup except maybe the recent Win10 update (feature update version 2004)

<blob:https://ap-gto.groups.io/c986e74d-b066-414b-a88e-ff1ba02aa27b>

Dean Jacobsen

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 09:54 AM, Ray Gralak wrote:
I've heard there have been some compatibility issues with Windows 10 v2004, so you might want to revert Windows to the previous version you had running. If reverting to the old Windows 10 version solves the problems then you might want to hold off upgrading until 2004 has become more refined.
If this is in fact the cause of Rodolphe's problem then having a Windows update take down the mount driver and ruining an imaging trip is frustrating.    The only Windows computer I own is my imaging computer.

Ray, what is a good strategy for setting up the WIndows 10 upgrade/maintenance settings so that you aren't blindsided by a Windows compatibility issue?

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Joe Zeglinski

Ray,

    Do we have a choice in NOT upgrading? I thought Microsoft forces us to accept the latest upgrade – unlike in previous OS’s.
IIRC, we can only hold it off for 7 days.

Joe

> This is weird, because it used to work perfectly before. Before what? I can’t determine any major changes to my
> setup except maybe the recent Win10 update (feature update version 2004)

I've heard there have been some compatibility issues with Windows 10 v2004, so you might want to revert Windows to the previous version you had running. If reverting to the old Windows 10 version solves the problems then you might want to hold off upgrading until 2004 has become more refined.

-Ray Gralak

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Joe,
   Win10 2004 is a feature update and not a security update so, at least for now, you don't have to accept it. I've left mine sitting there for 2 weeks now and it's not forcing me to update. And I've made one security update in the mean time.

cytan

On Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 12:16:21 PM CDT, Joe Zeglinski <j.zeglinski@...> wrote:

Ray,

    Do we have a choice in NOT upgrading? I thought Microsoft forces us to accept the latest upgrade – unlike in previous OS’s.
IIRC, we can only hold it off for 7 days.

Joe

> This is weird, because it used to work perfectly before. Before what? I can’t determine any major changes to my
> setup except maybe the recent Win10 update (feature update version 2004)

I've heard there have been some compatibility issues with Windows 10 v2004, so you might want to revert Windows to the previous version you had running. If reverting to the old Windows 10 version solves the problems then you might want to hold off upgrading until 2004 has become more refined.

-Ray Gralak

Rodolphe

I've heard there have been some compatibility issues with Windows 10 v2004, so you might want to revert Windows to the previous version you had running. If reverting to the old Windows 10 version solves the problems then you might want to hold off upgrading until 2004 has become more refined.

-Ray Gralak
I've not tried to undo the 2004 update yet - but I tried reinstalling APCC and the ASCOM driver - same issues.
Will undo the 2004 tomorrow and report back here.

Ray Gralak

Hi Joe,

Yes, I believe you do have a choice to not install feature updates. Here's a link to some things you can do.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-stop-a-windows-10-update

-Ray Gralak

This is weird, because it used to work perfectly before. Before what? I can’t determine any major changes to my
setup except maybe the recent Win10 update (feature update version 2004)
I've heard there have been some compatibility issues with Windows 10 v2004, so you might want to revert
Windows to the previous version you had running. If reverting to the old Windows 10 version solves the problems
then you might want to hold off upgrading until 2004 has become more refined.

-Ray Gralak

Rodolphe

I'm out of luck - cannot uninstall it, too late (10 days have passed).
Would be interesting to see if other users face a similar problem.
Meanwhile, I will wait for a fix, I don't have the patience needed for reinstalling the full system now...
Thanks anyways.

Ray Gralak

Rodolphe,

I'm out of luck - cannot uninstall it, too late (10 days have passed).
I'm sorry to hear that.

Going back to the list of problems:

1. When starting a new frame capture in SCG Pro, PHD2 sends out a warning "Please disable the Synchronous
PulseGuide option in the mount's ASCOM driver settings. Enabling the setting can cause unpredictable results".
--> But the ASCOM settings are "Synchronous PulseGuide calls" disabled (box unchecked).
Again the PHD2 warning is inaccurate. You can disable synchronous Pulseguide in the driver but that won't fix the bug in PHD2. Unfortunately despite my attempts I don't think any of the PHD2 developers understand or accept that the problem is in the way PHD2 is using COM interop. There is nothing that can be changed in the AP V2 ASCOM driver to fix this.

2,. When using APCC through its virtual ports, I get an error message slewing the mount (not after the initial slew,
but when SGP attempts to center the target) : "VPort2 / Fault / SyncTarget: Valid ALT/Az, RA/Dec, HA/Dec has not
been received!" - and the 3D view blinks in red.
Use APCC's log zipper utility to zip the APCC + ASCOM logs from the last night that you encountered the problem. Post here or email me privately a link to the zip file in dropbox, google drive, or one drive.

-Ray Gralak