APCC 1.8.3.1: strange behaviour when parking at Park1 position

Yves Laroche

Hi Ray,

This morning at the end of my imaging session I parked the mount at Park1 position as usual but the mount was slewing at the opposite direction (Park4 or Park5).  I stopped the slew and re-initiate the Park1 process and the mount went back to the Park1 position as it should.  By chance my system is not completely automated else it can be a serious problem. At that time, the ASCOM driver was disconnected.

I will sent you the logs on request.

Best regards,
Yves

Ray Gralak

Edited

Yves,

APCC can force the mount into a counterweight-up position first which, depending on the start position, might make it seem like it's going the wrong way.

If you don't think that's the case, then find in your APCC log where the park started. The meridian delay should be set to "0" before the park is issued by APCC, except if there is a multipart slew. Search for "meridian" to find places where it can get set.

-Ray Gralak

This morning at the end of my imaging session I parked the mount at Park1 position as usual but the mount
was slewing at the opposite direction (Park4 or Park5). I stopped the slew and re-initiate the Park1 process
and the mount went back to the Park1 position as it should. By chance my system is not completely
automated else it can be a serious problem. At that time, the ASCOM driver was disconnected.

I will sent you the logs on request.

Best regards,
Yves

Yves Laroche

Ray,

The meridian delay set to "0" appeared at 03h16
The park message appeared at 03h28

There is a 12 minutes difference between both.

Regards,
Yves

Le 16/06/20 18:36, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> a écrit :
[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Removed leading "Also" in first paragraph, which I forgot to remove when I moved the paragraph to the top.]

Yves,

APCC can force the mount into a counterweight-up position first which, depending on the start position, might make it seem like it's going the wrong way.

If you don't think that's the case, then find in your APCC log where the park started. The meridian delay should be set to "0" before the park is issued by APCC, except if there is a multipart slew. Search for "meridian" to find places where it can get set.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Yves,

If the meridian delay is 0 then you probably mistook a multipart move as going somewhere besides Park 1.

-Ray Gralak

Le 16/06/20 18:36, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> a écrit :

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Removed leading "Also" in first paragraph, which I forgot to remove when I moved the
paragraph to the top.]

Yves,

APCC can force the mount into a counterweight-up position first which, depending on the start position,
might make it seem like it's going the wrong way.

If you don't think that's the case, then find in your APCC log where the park started. The meridian delay
should be set to "0" before the park is issued by APCC, except if there is a multipart slew. Search for
"meridian" to find places where it can get set.

-Ray Gralak

Yves Laroche

Not sure I really understand your statement.  I parked the mount manually via APCC.

Yves

Le 16/06/20 23:46, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> a écrit :
Yves,

If the meridian delay is 0 then you probably mistook a multipart move as going somewhere besides Park 1.

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Yves,

I'm saying if the mount was slewing someplace other than Park 1 then there's not much that could cause that besides a communication error. Park 1 is always the same coordinates (hour angle and dec) so APCC is out of the picture once the commands have been sent unless, like I said, there was a multipart slew bringing the mount out of a cw up position (and only relevant if you have a GTOCP3 since the CP4/5 does that by itself).

-Ray Gralak

Le 16/06/20 23:46, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> a écrit :

Yves,

If the meridian delay is 0 then you probably mistook a multipart move as going somewhere besides
Park 1.

-Ray Gralak

Yves Laroche

Hi Ray,

This morning, the mount behaved the same as other night.

APCC was the only software connected, no ASCOM driver.  I parked the mount to Park1 position and the mount slewed at the opposite direction.  I decided to let the slew completed.  The mount parked at Park5 position.  I unparked the mount from that position (Last Parked Position) and park the mount to Park1.  The mount slewed back to Park1 as it should.

There is a logic software problem in this version.  Never see hat kind of behaviour before.

I'm using CP4 controller.

Regards,
Yves

Le 17/06/20 00:18, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> a écrit :
Yves,

I'm saying  if the mount was slewing someplace other than Park 1 then there's not much that could cause that besides a communication error. Park 1 is always the same coordinates (hour angle and dec) so APCC is out of the picture once the commands have been sent unless, like I said, there was a multipart slew bringing the mount out of a cw up position (and only relevant if you have a GTOCP3 since the CP4/5 does that by itself).

-Ray Gralak

Roland Christen

Our park positions are NOT some fixed position on the gearwheel. They are calculated RA and DEC positions to be a certain distance from the meridian. Any small time error in your computer clock will put them off by the amount of the error (i.e. 1 second of time = 15 arc seconds of park error).

The difference between Park1 and Park5 is only about 10 seconds of time error. Park1 points to the North horizon, as does Park5. If your clock advanced by 10 seconds it can very easily put the scope on the other side. It is most likely a small time error in your laptop or computer that you are using. If you use two computers to control the mount they can cause this kind of problem if one computer's time is slightly different (by 10 seconds) from the other. The keypad is a computer. Your laptop is a computer, etc.

My advice is to never use Park1 for any reason, especially not for parking at the end of a session. It is too close to the counterweight up position, and if your system starts tracking, then within 10 seconds you have tracked past the meridian and are essentially in "forbidden" territory. If you fall asleep the mount can very well continue tracking until the scope tracks into the pier, which could cause damage. Park 2 and Park3 will always work and won't change. Park 4 and Park5 are ok also because it would take 12 hours of tracking before counterweight up condition. With APCC you can also make your own custom Park wherever you like.

If it were up to me I would eliminate Park1 altogether, but I can hear the howls from people who are using it. Park5 is just as good in almost all cases.

This morning, the mount behaved the same as other night.

APCC was the only software connected, no ASCOM driver.  I parked the mount to Park1 position and the mount slewed at the opposite direction.  I decided to let the slew completed.  The mount parked at Park5 position.  I unparked the mount from that position (Last Parked Position) and park the mount to Park1.  The mount slewed back to Park1 as it should.

There is a logic software problem in this version.  Never see hat kind of behaviour before.

I'm using CP4 controller.

Regards,
Yves

Le 17/06/20 00:18, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> a écrit :
Yves,

I'm saying  if the mount was slewing someplace other than Park 1 then there's not much that could cause that besides a communication error. Park 1 is always the same coordinates (hour angle and dec) so APCC is out of the picture once the commands have been sent unless, like I said, there was a multipart slew bringing the mount out of a cw up position (and only relevant if you have a GTOCP3 since the CP4/5 does that by itself).

-Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Yves,

Maybe you missed the warning message in APCC that indicates Park 1 is obsolete and not supported by Astro-Physics? (see screenshot below)

If you need to move the mount to that position maybe try defining an Alt/Az position near, but not exactly at Park1 ?

-Ray Gralak

Yves Laroche

Sorry Rolando and Ray but Park1 position was running well until the latest APCC version.

My computer clock is always synchronized. Would you explain me why my mount was badly parked to Park5, unparked from the last parked position (Park5 position) and then park to Park1 position again and slewed to Park1 as it should.  The mount controller knew exactly where it was pointing all the time else the mount would never been able to park at Park1.

There is probably a small typo or logical error in the code that cause this behaviour.

I'm using this park position since 2002 and all my observatory environment is set according to this park position.

Ray,  I never missed that warning.  Thanks for pointing this out !!!  However, as a beta-tester, I can't and will never accept this kind of response from you.  I've put too much time and efforts to help Astro-Physics astronomy lovers to enjoy their hobby.  My two cents.

Yves Laroche

Le 17/06/20 12:01, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> a écrit :

Roland Christen

There is no logic error. Please re-read what i wrote. It is strictly a timing error that occurs when using computer time. All parks are derived from RA/Dec coordinates. Please use Altitude and Azimuth and make your own custom park. Do not rely on Park1, please.

[...]

Nothing has changed regarding Park 1 in a long time in APCC.

-Ray Gralak

Le 17/06/20 00:18, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> a écrit :
Yves,
I'm saying if the mount was slewing someplace other than Park 1 then there's not much that could
cause that besides a communication error. Park 1 is always the same coordinates (hour angle and dec) so
APCC is out of the picture once the commands have been sent unless, like I said, there was a multipart slew
bringing the mount out of a cw up position (and only relevant if you have a GTOCP3 since the CP4/5 does
that by itself).
-Ray Gralak

Yves Laroche

Ray,

I can assure you that my computer clock was well synchronized.  It's part of my ritual before any imaging session since a long time.  If you read carefully my latest message, I unparked the mount from "Last Parked Position" (It was Park5 instead of Park1) and parked the mount again to Park1 and it worked.  NO possibility here of time issue.

I've just remarked that CP3 is set within ASCOM driver instead of CP4.  I really don't know why but... Is it possible that this setting can raise some problem with the new APCC release???  I will find this out at the end of the incoming night.

Regards,
Yves