From: Fernando Proietti <fernandoaproietti@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 16, 2020 8:53 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach1 - regreasing

Dear all,

* My mount is outside the US, in Brasil;
* I am in Medicine/Public Health and with almost any mechanical skills;
* If I mess up anything while fixing, greasing, it is quite expensive to send the mount to AstroPhysics in the US. Have to say that George is always there when I need any help/information. Thanks George!
* English is not my native language and I have to look for the meaning of "spur gears", "axle shoulder bolts" :)))) Not a big deal, though.

So, maybe is only me, but I would be really grateful if someone out there (or someone from AstroPhysics) could put out there a video (or pictures) on how to remove the motor gear box and reinstall (Mach1). I am aware of a video on how to grease. But not on how to access the worn and worm Wheel gears.

Regards, Fernando

Fernando Proietti

Hi Rolando,

Photos attached, thanks, Fernando

Em ter., 16 de jun. de 2020 às 11:06, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> escreveu:

Can you send a picture of your mount's gearbox from 2 sides so we can see which model you have?

* My mount is outside the US, in Brasil;
* I am in Medicine/Public Health and with almost any mechanical skills;
* If I mess up anything while fixing, greasing, it is quite expensive to send the mount to AstroPhysics in the US. Have to say that George is always there when I need any help/information. Thanks George!
* English is not my native language and I have to look for the meaning of "spur gears", "axle shoulder bolts" :)))) Not a big deal, though.

So, maybe is only me, but I would be really grateful if someone out there (or someone from AstroPhysics) could put out there a video (or pictures) on how to remove the motor gear box and reinstall (Mach1). I am aware of a video on how to grease. But not on how to access the worn and worm Wheel gears.

Regards, Fernando

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Hi Fernando

Those are tamper proof fasteners in photos 1 and 2. Hopefully you will not have to deal with those. If so, I am not sure where you would find a hex wrench to loosen them in Brazil.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Those are tamper proof fasteners in photos 1 and 2. Hopefully you will not have to deal with those. If so, I am not sure where you would find a hex wrench to loosen them in Brazil.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Roland Christen

Those fasteners are not for adjustment.

I posted a series of photos just 2 days ago how to disassemble the gearbox. I will post them again.

Those are tamper proof fasteners in photos 1 and 2. Hopefully you will not have to deal with those. If so, I am not sure where you would find a hex wrench to loosen them in Brazil.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Roland Christen

You have the latest gearbox. Karen will send you instructions how to disassemble it.

[...]

Karen Christen

Hi Fernando,

I’ve attached directions to remove the auto-adjusting gearbox that you have on your Mach1.  Once you have the gearbox off you may proceed with re-greasing.

Karen Christen

Astro-Physics

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Karen,
   Thanks for the photos and the instructions! It really helps us klutz's (or the cut twice measure once guys :) )

cytan

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 02:34:13 PM CDT, Karen Christen <karen@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron Kramer

I got mine off - waiting grease. It shipped the day I called in the order but UPS didn't make it yesterday. (par for them). It's on the truck for delivery today so I may be able to re-grease tomorrow.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Many thanks, regards, FerNANDO

Em ter., 16 de jun. de 2020 às 16:34, Karen Christen <karen@...> escreveu:

[...]

fd@...

Here is a video for the 1200GTO. But this gives you a good idea of what to do.

I greased the RA gears on my Mach1GTO last weekend. It was very easy to do. The grease kit that AP sells has two different greases.  You can't use just any old grease. The grease kit from AP has VERY detailed instructions on how to take the motor box off, clean, grease, and reassemble the mount. I was very impressed.

The job took about 90 minutes to do the RA box, I suspect the DEC will take 30 minutes because now I know what I am doing.

Here are some photos. https://imgur.com/a/f2ab2pY

--
Mach1GTO and GTOCP4 on permanent pier

Phillip Klein

Thank you Thank you so very much for the photos and comments of the Mach 1 GTO regrease. They are invaluable!

Thank you again,

Phillip

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 8:39 PM <fd@...> wrote:
Here is a video for the 1200GTO. But this gives you a good idea of what to do.

I greased the RA gears on my Mach1GTO last weekend. It was very easy to do. The grease kit that AP sells has two different greases.  You can't use just any old grease. The grease kit from AP has VERY detailed instructions on how to take the motor box off, clean, grease, and reassemble the mount. I was very impressed.

The job took about 90 minutes to do the RA box, I suspect the DEC will take 30 minutes because now I know what I am doing.

Here are some photos. https://imgur.com/a/f2ab2pY

--
Mach1GTO and GTOCP4 on permanent pier

Fernando Proietti

Thanks so much!!!!

Regards, Fernando.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 12:39 AM <fd@...> wrote:
Here is a video for the 1200GTO. But this gives you a good idea of what to do.

I greased the RA gears on my Mach1GTO last weekend. It was very easy to do. The grease kit that AP sells has two different greases.  You can't use just any old grease. The grease kit from AP has VERY detailed instructions on how to take the motor box off, clean, grease, and reassemble the mount. I was very impressed.

The job took about 90 minutes to do the RA box, I suspect the DEC will take 30 minutes because now I know what I am doing.

Here are some photos. https://imgur.com/a/f2ab2pY

--
Mach1GTO and GTOCP4 on permanent pier

Dale Ghent

I spent today cleaning out my 2008 edition Mach1GTO in preparation for re-greasing. A lot of grease on the worm gears was old and really caked into the teeth and towels and rags were't really effective.

Wanting to get that old grease out, I followed the instructions and very lightly used mineral spirits on a toothbrush (as the instructions advised not to use your own toothbrush, so I used my wife's) and very gently massaged it into the teeth to dissolve and rough up the stubborn grease. Cleaning that mixture out was still an issue, as towels and rags alone could not reach down into the valley between the teeth to get that slurry out. I grabbed a box of flat toothpicks, put 2 layers of T-shirt material around the flat end of it, dipped it in denatured alcohol (methylated spirits for you blokes) and gently scooped the gunk out of the teeth one by one. It worked well, with the wood being soft as to not damage the teeth. You'll go through a bunch of toothpicks, though.

Pretty clean in the end:
https://imgur.com/a/xS3jzJf

/dale

On Jun 27, 2020, at 9:57 AM, Fernando Proietti <fernandoaproietti@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks so much!!!!

Regards, Fernando.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020, 12:39 AM <fd@fdunlop.com> wrote:
Here is a video for the 1200GTO. But this gives you a good idea of what to do.

I greased the RA gears on my Mach1GTO last weekend. It was very easy to do. The grease kit that AP sells has two different greases. You can't use just any old grease. The grease kit from AP has VERY detailed instructions on how to take the motor box off, clean, grease, and reassemble the mount. I was very impressed.

The job took about 90 minutes to do the RA box, I suspect the DEC will take 30 minutes because now I know what I am doing.

Here are some photos. https://imgur.com/a/f2ab2pY

--
Mach1GTO and GTOCP4 on permanent pier

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

Hi Dale

Just make sure that you get rid of all traces of the mineral spirits and alcohol before you re-grease anything. As a former auto mechanic I used to re-pack a lot of front wheel bearings. I have repeatedly seen where a very tiny amount of solvent left in the bearings when they are re-greased is enough to turn the fresh grease into a liquid after just a few day's driving. Granted, the worm and wheel on a equatorial mount do not operate under anywhere close to the same conditions as the front wheels of a car, but it is a good illustration of what a little bit of residual solvent can do to the properties of the grease.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Dale Ghent

Yep. I stuffed towel around the area to catch any drips when applying and it’s all going to sit for a day to let it all evaporate. The next night for imaging and make g a new PEC isn’t until Thursday at this point so there is no need to rush.