Sky Safari with Mach2

Terri Zittritsch

So I've been searching to answers to my question, but since the Mach2 CP5 is so new, maybe I should ask here.   I think I know the answer, but will throw it out anyway.

I've been trying to use sky safari with the mach2.   I can connect, via wifi easily once I knew the address of the controller on my network.  For those of you who have lots of wifi connects, like us, the CP5 shows as 'Sychip' on my wifi versus the myriad of other things that show up.  It's the only sychip on my system.       So it connects, and seems to know it's pointed at the pole.   I do have (send time location checked) in sky safari.   But the only thing it will do, is allow manual slewing with the buttons in sky safari, but the screen doesn't show the mount slewing, so it's not getting updated coordinates.     I have a feeling this is because it needs 'initialization'.. the AP term, for setting the controller time, location and it seems sky safari does not do this.   So I think I need either a computer connected (kind of defeats the purpose) or the hand controller (sw coming) in order to initialize first.   I see this mentioned in a few posts elsewhere for older controllers.  Can anyone confirm that the same is true for the CP5?

Terri

Dominique Durand

Hi Terri,
I noticed the same thing and I have already reported it, without the Mach2 connected to the PC (APCC and / or driver), with skysafari connected to the CP5 you can only move the mount with the arrows, synchronization does not happen not and the Goto of course either.

ernie.mastroianni@...

When I took delivery of my Mach2 without the handset keypad, I did not yet have a PC computer. So I tried using the mount with my Sky Safari program. I could move the mount with the arrows but that was all. Surprisingly, I could do this with a very old iPad and an equally vintage version of Sky Safari Pro.

Bad idea. Once I had access to a PC with APCC and the proper drivers, the 3D view window revealed that the mount thought it was pointing at 63 degrees declination and counterweight up, even though it was physically it was in Park 3. This was fixed after I established the Home position as Park 3. Many thanks to the excellent Astro-Physics crew for their extensive assistance on this issue.

In the Sky Safari program, under "Telescope Setup" Astro-Physics GTO mounts are among the many listed, but the brand-new Mach2 does not yet fully work with this setting. My understanding is that Sky Safari is working to update the program, but I don't know the current status of this work. I think there are initialization issues. Bear in mind that I am a novice with Astro-Physics gear and PC computers. I used Macs exclusively as a photographer and photo editor for newspapaers and magazines. My previous mount was a push-to Losmandy, purchased in 1994.

For now, I'm not connecting Sky Safari to the Mach2. The mount itself runs smoothly and accurately with APCC and TheSky. I use the PC computer to nudge the scope to the proper position when doing calibrations and star syncs with my various telescopes and cradles. I am certainly looking forward to the delivery of the handset.

Ernie

Terri Zittritsch

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 10:29 AM, Dominique Durand wrote:
Hi Terri,
I noticed the same thing and I have already reported it, without the Mach2 connected to the PC (APCC and / or driver), with skysafari connected to the CP5 you can only move the mount with the arrows, synchronization does not happen not and the Goto of course either.
Thanks Dominique, have you gotten any feedback from A-P or Simulation Curriculum?    I was wondering if it's normal, per past correspondence I've read about needing some initialization.  I know Sky Safari has a switch to pass time/location, but not sure that this does the trick.  I guess I'll wait to hear.
I am an early adopter of Sky Safari and had every version since the beginning..  it is my favorite sky mapping program so hope that it'll be usable on the Mach2.    Maybe after getting the hand control sw.

Dominique Durand

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 03:27 PM, Terri Zittritsch wrote:
Thanks Dominique, have you gotten any feedback from A-P or Simulation Curriculum?    I was wondering if it's normal, per past correspondence I've read about needing some initialization.  I know Sky Safari has a switch to pass time/location, but not sure that this does the trick.  I guess I'll wait to hear.
I am an early adopter of Sky Safari and had every version since the beginning..  it is my favorite sky mapping program so hope that it'll be usable on the Mach2.    Maybe after getting the hand control sw.
Hi Terri,
I still have a doubt about this case that I had detected, because with my mach1 GTOCP4 that I had before I always had the keypad plugged in and I think that (Like the PC) was enough for Skysafari to synchronize, with my Mach1 GTOCP3 which I still have I pass for the WIFI by SkyFi3, that works for skysafari but there also I have a connected keypad.
My biggest concern and that I did not have with my GTOCP4 is that the WIFI network of the GTOCP5 disappears when the GTOCP5 is plugged into the PC, a problem linked to the USB3 sockets of my PC, because I plug into a USB2 socket it works .

We are working with Simulation Curriculum.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics, Inc

11250 Forest Hills Rd

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-0910

Fax: 815-282-9847

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Christopher Erickson

PUH-LEEZE ask them to add Park3 too...

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 6:27 PM Marj Christen <marj@...> wrote:

[...]

Donald Rudny

Hi All,

I just gave up on SkySafari and switched to Luminos.  I had to use APCC to initialize to P3.  Luminos lets you initialize in any position and has more controls of the mount like slewing and tracking rates.  I control everything with my iPad and Luminos.  No keypad.
For $29.95 for Luminos and a smartphone or tablet you have your keypad.  I loved SkySafari, but their failure to provide more positions for initialization on AP mounts lost me as a supporter.

Don Rudny
Pepeekeo, Hi

On Jun 15, 2020, at 6:57 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter Nagy

The problem with Luminos is they require iPAD or iPhone products and they refuse to work with Android devices. Not good business since there are far more Android devices than Apple devices.

Peter

Woody Schlom

Good luck on that!  SkySafari hasn’t been the same since they sold out to Simulation Curriculum.  It’s still a great APP and I use it all the time, but support and feature requests have kind of gone down the toilet.

Woody

[...]

Until they get over themselves and add Park3, I have given up on SkySafari too.

I have been asking them for Park3 for YEARS.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com