Topics

Setup in yard #Mach2GTO

ernie.mastroianni@...

Hello group,
My Mach2 was recently delivered, and I've been slowly learning the system in my suburban Milwaukee back yard. My previous mount purchase was in 1994 (a Losmandy G11) so I have much to learn. A big thanks to George W. who has been quite patient and quick to answer my questions. I'll use the mount at various locations in my yard (depending on the target) and at remote dark-sky sites. So it will be all portable, all the time.

A side note, I was out drift-aligning late Monday night, and a nearby crowd of George Floyd protesters drew three low-flying helicopters that at times  hovered right over my home. This went on for at least an hour. I feared that if one was a police helicopter, its occupants might notice the lone person aiming suspicious-looking gear their way and aim one of those high-powered searchlights at me. Never happened, but a weird stargazing experience all the same.
Ernie

thefamily90 Phillips

Beautiful setup!!
I am envious but still am very happy with my Mach 1.
Helicopters here all night long Saturday night.

Congratulations!

Jim

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of ernie.mastroianni@... <ernie.mastroianni@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 9:33:13 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Setup in yard #Mach2GTO

Hello group,
My Mach2 was recently delivered, and I've been slowly learning the system in my suburban Milwaukee back yard. My previous mount purchase was in 1994 (a Losmandy G11) so I have much to learn. A big thanks to George W. who has been quite patient and quick to answer my questions. I'll use the mount at various locations in my yard (depending on the target) and at remote dark-sky sites. So it will be all portable, all the time.

A side note, I was out drift-aligning late Monday night, and a nearby crowd of George Floyd protesters drew three low-flying helicopters that at times  hovered right over my home. This went on for at least an hour. I feared that if one was a police helicopter, its occupants might notice the lone person aiming suspicious-looking gear their way and aim one of those high-powered searchlights at me. Never happened, but a weird stargazing experience all the same.
Ernie

Energized Guy

Wow a Mach 2.... How cool is that! Congratulation on the awesome and well deserved retirement gift Ernie and of course a person can’t say enough good things about George and the Astro-Physics company! Lots of cool narrow band images to take from your metro backyard when you can’t travel to our favorite dark site. And there’s no better place to learn the ins and outs of a new setup then your own back yard using lrgb at first until everything gets sorted out!

On Jun 3, 2020, at 8:43 AM, thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:

Beautiful setup!!
I am envious but still am very happy with my Mach 1.
Helicopters here all night long Saturday night.

Congratulations!

Jim

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of ernie.mastroianni@... <ernie.mastroianni@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 9:33:13 AM

Hello group,

Ernie

Dominique Durand

Edited

Hi Ernie,

Happy for you that you are finally your Mach2 ... and there you change a little world.
I started with Astro-Physics in 2011 (Mach1 which I still have) ... and then I continued ... Thank you all because they are always there to answer our questions and I too have a lot asked George when I ordered ... even if my translated French is not always very clear.

Dominique

Bill Long

Beauty. I use that same tripod on my 1100. Big fan of it.

Sent: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 6:33 AM

Hello group,

Ernie

Michael Hambrick

Nice setup Ernie

You have an interesting setup for your laptops (two of them ??) Is that a cardboard box with closed cell polyethylene foam for insulation ? The insulation is a good idea. I have always had a concern about dew and condensation accumulating on my laptop. I finally bought a 3 level roll cart for this purpose. My laptop sits on the middle shelf. Lately I have been covering the whole cart with a space blanket to keep dew out and stray light from the laptop in.

The cart has a 300 pound capacity. I set up and take down everything every night, and the cart comes in handy for hauling all my gear back and forth

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

ernie.mastroianni@...

Hello everyone,
Hey Energized Guy, good to hear from you! Hope we can do some imaging at Harrington soon. I have much to learn from you. And Michael, thanks for the cart tip. Two computers are because I don't yet have the Mach2 handset and I run my guide and main cameras from a Mac. I'm a retired journalist, Macs are all I know. The second laptop is borrowed and has APCC, ASCOM and TheSkyX. I'll migrate to a PC soon, but in the meantime I use what I have. Putting my computer inside an insulated box was actually a suggestion from George W., and it is working out well. Here in Wisconsin, cold temps and dew were shutting down my Mac in the field, even with heavy duty batteries. I also have a cloth curtain that covers the box opening to keep the stray light from bothering others who image at remote sites. Cheers to all,
Ernie

Haydon Burns

This makes me even more excited to receive mine.  I ordered mine through a retailer back in the Fall and unfortunately I subsequently paid in full beyond the initial deposit in November back when  the original shipping date was late December.  That is an attractive setup you have.